Junior

Default Rohan Smith Henrys 2nd Assisitant

.Rohan Smith, a young man with an extensive coaching background, has been recruited by head coach Neil Henry as his second assistant coach for the 2015 season, joining Terry Matterson.

Smith, 33, the son of long-term NRL coach Brian Smith who is regarded as one of the smartest minds in rugby league, this year coached the Warriors reserve grade team to the finals of the NSW Cup. In 2013 he was assistant coach at Penrith after previous stints with the Roosters, Knights, Warriors and in England.

He has been on an educational path as a coach since he joined Daniel Anderson’s staff at the Warriors in 2003 at age 21 and comes to the Gold Coast highly recommended.

“Rohan has gained a good reputation in the NRL as a very smart emerging coach, has done an extensive apprenticeship and I am very fortunate to have him join our staff,” said Henry.

“He is particularly passionate about helping develop young players and has the benefit of not just working as an assistant, but as coach of his own teams at the Warriors and Knights (under-20s in 2009).”

Rugby League is rich in the Smith family’s make-up. Also following in his father’s footsteps in professional rugby league, Smith’s younger brother Keegan has been head strength and conditioning coach alongside Trent Robinson at Sydney Roosters and Catalans in the English Super League in the past three years.

“I’m really excited to be joining the Titans; it’s a good opportunity to work under a proven and experienced head coach in Neil,” Smith said.

“The club is entering a rebuilding phase and that’s something I’ve always wanted to be involved in - developing rather than inheriting - so I feel fortunate to be able to play a role in taking the club forward.”

Outside if his nine years in different roles in the NRL, Rohan spent four years as an assistant coach with the London-based Super League side.

i am not hugely familiar with Rohan, but it sounds like he is an actual working professional coach who has a fair bit of experience, as opposed to having a 'name' player hanging around the joint cos they used to play in the NRL.

It shows we arent just trying to appease people with star power, we are building a coaching unit of our own.

- - - Updated - - -

i am not hugely familiar with Rohan, but it sounds like he is an actual working professional coach who has a fair bit of experience, as opposed to having a 'name' player hanging around the joint cos they used to play in the NRL.

It shows we arent just trying to appease people with star power, we are building a coaching unit of our own.

Totally agree DB, this is the sort of assistant I am happy to endorse … some of our dinosaurs of players won't like it though.
    Last edited by Titanic; 04-10-14 at 11:56 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Will be good to have some fresh faces around the club. No more favourites or mucking around.

New ideas and methods are needed and that is what these guys will bring. Don't know anything about him but change is good in this instance.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady