Page 5 of 281 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Just read this morning that Jason Taylor has reneged Taka's deal with the Tigers and he is back on the open market..
    Scroll up mate! haha

I hope we aren't suddenly offering Taka more than we originally were now that we missed on Hannant. By the end of 2015 you would have to think that we would be extending the contracts of Carter, Roberts, Ioane and we've got all of Kelly, Hazard, Elgey, Fogarty and Sezer coming off contract as well so you would think one of them would need to be upgraded too. I'd much rather invest the coin in upgrading one of them to be honest, if their form permits it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Scroll up mate! haha
    Yep, should know better than to post before coffee......

One thought that I was having is that we might have some cash but ONLY for the right player.

But also agree with what has been said. How can we be in a position that we can't recruit well for next year?? Searle was a firm believer in not back ending deals. He must have changed his thoughts on this.

I guess King has been left a big mess to clean up so next year could be a lean year for us.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Saying we don't have no upcoming juniors is a pretty big call when our u20's captain was named u20's player of the year last week. If that's not classified as an upcoming junior then I'm not sure what would be
    And yet we almost came last in the Holden cup again. Is it a two man team or something?

Just look at the young stars coming through in other clubs - the DWZ's, the Moylans, the Johnstons, the Walkers.

We must have a load of back end deals or we are paying overs for the majority of our players. Compared to other teams we have a basic roster with no real stars or rep players (that we have discovered anyway) so we should have some cap space left.

Agreed I would not pay overs for Taka as I would rather have some spare coin to resign players in the future such as Roberts, Kelly, Carter and Sezer or to get some game winning/solid players here such as Keary or DCE. Hopefully King has a plan up his sleeve regarding recruitment because it seems our roster is not changing anytime soon.

I thought the Taka decision with the the Tigers was based on a three year contract rather than two years offered by the Titans?
    Beggars can't be choosers anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    And yet we almost came last in the Holden cup again. Is it a two man team or something?

Just look at the young stars coming through in other clubs - the DWZ's, the Moylans, the Johnstons, the Walkers.
    We had a team of 18 year olds. Did you follow the NYC or just look at the table at seasons end? We've got some real talent in there.

DWZ is also in the Kiwis at 18. Moylan is 23. Johnston is a beneficiary of a superb attacking team and Walker is soon going to be playing Origin at 19. These aren't just your standard "juniors coming through" = they are very rare and very talented players in teams playing very good footy.

I'm not sure what you expect honestly mate. By your logic, 14 clubs have no juniors coming through. Let's keep our expectations reasonable.

We had a team of 18 year olds. Did you follow the NYC or just look at the table at seasons end?
    I'll be honest here, the latter. It just seems as if we're finishing near last in that competition every year? Though you might be able to correct me on that.

DWZ is also in the Kiwis at 18. Moylan is 23. Johnston is a beneficiary of a superb attacking team and Walker is soon going to be playing Origin at 19. These aren't just your standard "juniors coming through" = they are very rare and very talented players in teams playing very good footy.
    Fair point regarding those players but there are others who've come through at other clubs who've been able to hold their spot for more than a game. When was our last to do that? Srama?
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 08-10-14 at 03:37 PM.

Interesting discussion about the juniors and thanks for posting guys.
    I find myself a bit with gotitans101 on this as I keep seeing many names thrown up on here about the great juniors we have but I can only go on our Holden Cup side which is consistently among the worst in the comp. I get to the games early enough to watch it but the Holden Cup generally is so far from being a useful feeder comp to our NRL side I just stop watching.
    I respect that HS and mdrew have far better knowledge of the juniors than me and I hope that Elgey comes through. I don't know whether it's our junior development or talent scouting not being up to scratch but we don't have any DWZ's, Moylan's etc on the horizon. Many clubs seem to have them but not us.

We had a team of 18 year olds. Did you follow the NYC or just look at the table at seasons end? We've got some real talent in there.

I'm not sure what you expect honestly mate. By your logic, 14 clubs have no juniors coming through. Let's keep our expectations reasonable.
    the like button doesnt do this sentence justice. these are ELITE kids coming through.

We have had in the past Mead, Gordon, Ryan James, Ridge, Rankin, Srama come through into a poor first grade system, but the talent was there, then there has been a lull over last few years, although Keary, Cody Walker, Hymel Hunt and couple of others have slipped the net.

It looks like there is a reasonable group in these 20s that are a bit younger as HS mentioned, and if a few of them can come through the ranks and contribute to first team success, as well as one or two developing into genuine top level first graders, that is a start. then we need the new coaching group to do a better job developing them as well as recruiting kids into the 20s team in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Interesting discussion about the juniors and thanks for posting guys.
    I find myself a bit with gotitans101 on this as I keep seeing many names thrown up on here about the great juniors we have but I can only go on our Holden Cup side which is consistently among the worst in the comp. I get to the games early enough to watch it but the Holden Cup generally is so far from being a useful feeder comp to our NRL side I just stop watching.
    I respect that HS and mdrew have far better knowledge of the juniors than me and I hope that Elgey comes through. I don't know whether it's our junior development or talent scouting not being up to scratch but we don't have any DWZ's, Moylan's etc on the horizon. Many clubs seem to have them but not us.
    Guys. Moylan is 23. Played NYC like 3 years ago. He's older than Aidan Sezer. Not an upcoming junior by any means

Cowboys -
    Broncos -
    Newcastle - Mamo/Mata'utia
    Cronulla - Holmes
    Dragons -
    Roosters -
    Eels - Moeroa
    Panthers - DWZ
    Rabbitohs - Walker/Johnston
    Tigers - Brookes/Moses
    Raiders -
    Manly -
    Bulldogs -
    Storm -
    Warriors -

A few clubs do seem to have them, many also don't. These issues arise far below NYC and our biggest problem is that Keebra is aligned to a club in Sydney. Our coaching movements are a reaction to this and progression is good.

I appreciate your honesty but I find a blanket judgement on our junior's potential based on the team's performance to be a bit unfair. We all understand that good juniors don't always make good first graders, but if you're expecting us to pop out a DWZ or Dylan Walker then you're gonna be in for a bit of disappointment mate.

Good chat lads! healthy debate.

Gold Coast Titans among the options for Josh Hoffman as clubs chase Broncos fullback
    PETER BADEL
    THE COURIER-MAIL
    OCTOBER 08, 2014 11:00PM
    Josh Hoffman given all clear to leave Broncos

THE Titans have entered the race for Josh Hoffman with six NRL rivals to wage a bidding war for the unwanted Broncos utility.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the Gold Coast have expressed interest in Hoffman, who has NRL suitors lining up after being granted permission to leave the club last week.

New Titans coach Neil Henry is a fan of Hoffman’s hard-running style, but his ability to lure the 26-year-old to the Glitter Strip will ultimately hinge on their salary-cap position.

While the Titans have fullback options in William Zillman and David Mead, Hoffman has the ability to fill the centre spot that has troubled the club since Jamal Idris’ departure last season.

Titans hierarchy have had preliminary discussions with his management, but it is understood the Coast will be more cashed up to target new recruits in 2016 rather than next year.

By signing with the Titans, Hoffman could keep his young family in Brisbane, but the Raiders, Canterbury and Warriors are set to table offers he will find hard to resist.

The Raiders are prepared to pay Hoffman upwards of $600,000 a season, but the Green Machine have also tabled a massive offer for Manly custodian Brett Stewart.

The Warriors are keen to fly Hoffman to New Zealand to inspect their setup and Bulldogs coach Des Hasler remains interested after nearly poaching him in February.

The one certainty is Hoffman will have no shortage of options, with two other Sydney-based NRL clubs keen to accommodate the Bronco in his preferred fullback spot.

Hoffman hopes to have his future sorted well before Christmas as he comes to terms with his shock axing for New Zealand’s Four Nations campaign.

If required, the Broncos are happy to honour the final year of Hoffman’s contract, but his cousin, retired dual international Wendell Sailor, recently urged the Titans to make a big-money play.

“If I was at the Titans I’d be trying to sign Josh,” Sailor said. “He’s one of the best fullbacks in the game, but the Broncos have a few options there.

“Josh would be a great fit at the Titans, they need some backline strike power and ‘Hoffy’ would give them that.”
    It seems no one at Brisbane really wants to hold on to Hoffman that much.
    Should the Raiders secure Stewart at fullback, the club could still chase Hoffman as a five-eighth option, although the former Kiwi Test star is determined to wear the No. 1 jumper.

His manager Paul Hogan said Hoffman would not rush arguably the most important contract decision of his career.

“Josh has a young baby now so it’s important the next club he joins offers him the chance to develop professionally,” Hogan said.

“There’s nothing concrete at the moment, we’re taking our time.

“Wayne Bennett has been good enough to give us the opportunity to test his value on the open market and Josh isn’t angry at all, he’s quite relaxed about the situation.”
    Last edited by Bayside Titan; 08-10-14 at 11:02 PM.

Junior

Joel Riethmuller and Ricky Thorby have been released by the Cowboys. Strong connection with Henry. Could they be on the way to the Titans?

As it stands now my preference going forward would be Mead at Fullback and look at trying Zilly out in the other centre spot. ( Roberts has to be the other centre ). However I do remember Hoffman having a good season or two at fullback for the Broncos and think that if we can put a fair deal together then why not take a shot. My angst or anger at the minute is like most other people on here is that there is a few players around that we would love to have at the club but we lack the funds to secure these players.

I'm resigned to the fact that we will not have too many new signing next year. My hope for 2015 is that we finish outside the eight and bring a few kids through and have a few great additions for the club in 2016.....................My friends its going to be a LONG 18 months for us, however I am extremely confident that come mid year 2015 we will start to see the true effects that our new Coaching Staff will bring to the club

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TitansFan92 View Post
    Joel Riethmuller and Ricky Thorby have been released by the Cowboys. Strong connection with Henry. Could they be on the way to the Titans?
    Like your thinking mate, however both are 29 and Thorby has had a few injuries in the past.....Joel maybe but he is a back rower and we have on shortage of them....Maybe if we do sign any of these guys it maybe to add to the second tier CAP....

Why in the world would the raiders want Brett Stewart lol.

The Hoff will be a great buy but nowhere near the figures being thrown around.

By mid 2015 we will be dredding the wooden spoon, that much i can almost guarantee

- - - Updated - - -

Why in the world would the raiders want Brett Stewart lol.

The Hoff will be a great buy but nowhere near the figures being thrown around.

By mid 2015 we will be dredding the wooden spoon, that much i can almost guarantee
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]