Page 45 of 281 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 145 ... LastLast

Jeezus T4L, you won't give up on this will you.
    If Foran and DCE both leave Manly I am heading to the cliff.

I really hope we don't lock down a deal with DCE or any marquee player until we've had a good look at what we have.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Gold Coast Titans offer to make Daly Cherry-Evans highest paid player in NRL
    January 31, 2015 - 11:00PM
    By MICHAEL CARAYANNIS

Gold Coast will try to tempt Daly Cherry-Evans by making the Manly half the highest paid player in the NRL should he join the Titans next year.

The Titans are set to offer Cherry-Evans up to $1.3 million a season to join the Gold Coast side, which has identified the 25-year-old as the player to lead it back into finals calculations.

Regardless of which club Cherry-Evans opts for long term, he is expected to join the likes of Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston as the only million dollar players in the game.

Manly, the Titans and Cronulla are in the hunt for the Australian playmaker, with rival clubs told it would take more than a million dollars for Cherry-Evans to leave Brookvale.

Titans coach Neil Henry had dinner with Cherry-Evans in Sydney recently as the Gold Coast stepped up their bid to lure him.

The loss of Cherry-Evans – who played his first junior football at Redcliffe about 1-1/2 hours outside the Gold Coast – would be a cruel blow for the Sea Eagles, who are fighting hard to retain him and teammate Kieran Foran. Titans half Aidan Sezer is also off-contract.

Foran – who will also go close to securing a $1 million contract – has attracted interest from the Eels, New Zealand, the Bulldogs and the Roosters. After South Sydney halves Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary re-signed with the defending premiers last week, the player market will not settle until the Manly pair make up their minds.

Foran told Fairfax Media that he and Cherry-Evans spoke often about their playing futures. While they would like to remain teammates, Foran said that alone would not be enough to keep them at the club.

"We love playing with one another, so it will be a pretty big impact on one another's decision," Foran said. "We're also wary of doing what is right for our families and leave one another to make that decision."

Manly have undergone a dramatic roster reshuffle in recent seasons with the likes of long-term players Brent Kite, Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart now playing elsewhere. While the club is hopeful of retaining centre Steve Matai, losing Foran or Cherry-Evans would see the once mighty Sea Eagles torn apart.

Foran said this pre-season was a little strange following the exit of Watmough and Stewart.

"It was a bit different, as it would be losing those sorts of players," Foran said. "There's a lot of new faces around and that has brought a lot of enthusiasm to the joint. Life goes on and you've got to move on.

"We've done that as a club. You can't replace those guys' experience but we're confident in the squad we've got. I was very tight with both boys. You find it different rocking up to training and not seeing your really close mates there but, in saying that, I've got some other really close mates in the side.

"They've made decisions for what's best for them and their families and I'm happy for them.

"Last year was one of those unfortunate years where a lot of that off-field stuff was aired out in public. It was just so hard to control but we feel we've fixed all that up now and [are] moving forward. As a club, we don't lose that winning culture just because a couple of players have left. It's a really strong culture at Manly and that will still be there."

Cherry-Evans and Foran played in Manly's Auckland Nines squad on Saturday. Cherry-Evans captained the side in both of their losses while Foran did not feature in the dying stages defeat to St George Illawarra in the second game.

$1.3 mil sounds about right. He would be worth every cent on and off the field. He would be the player that could go along way to uniting potential Titans fans not only here on the Coast but also throughout Qld.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

What does everyone think about DCE? Yes or no? Many of our fans say he is not worth it but I disagree. DCE is a quality player on the field and much better than Mortimer. Not only would he beneficial on the field but also off it. He has the name to increase our chances of attracting other stars, fans and sponsors. We have over $3m dollars in our cap for next year and paying $1.3m for a player like him is all worth it IMO

Not worth it
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

If he brings a major sponsor then sign away.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    What does everyone think about DCE? Yes or no? Many of our fans say he is not worth it but I disagree. DCE is a quality player on the field and much better than Mortimer. Not only would he beneficial on the field but also off it. He has the name to increase our chances of attracting other stars, fans and sponsors. We have over $3m dollars in our cap for next year and paying $1.3m for a player like him is all worth it IMO
    Why do you keep going on with this? We have witnessed we have some good young kids coming through the ranks, why not develop them?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Why do you keep going on with this? We have witnessed we have some good young kids coming through the ranks, why not develop them?
    Uhh maybe because there was a new article and I was discussing it. Sorry I thought that was what this forum is for.

We definitely have some good kids coming through the rank but we also have an international and state rep who is one of the top halfbacks willing to discuss signing with us. I won't be disappointed if we don't sign him as we have Elgey and Hazard but DCE would be great for us.
    Last edited by Titan4Life; 01-02-15 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Not worth it
    Yeah, not worth 2 bob. Manly are welcome to him!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Seriously Nick, if you think the good young kids coming through are in DCE's league , well I'm not here. The good young kids could be anything but........the odds are they will not be, and even if they are they are a couple of years away from being anywhere near DCE. We cannot wait that long. On this forum people like us are the diehards (sorry Diehard) who know most of what is happening player wise around the club and the juniors. However most people on the Coast would still not have a clue about Elgey, Moseley, Hazard etc, and we cannot just hope that they all will develop. Some will I hope. We need marquee players NOW that win us games and get the Coast talking about the Titans again.
    I don't want DCE to leave Manly but if he does and comes up here he would be sensational for the place. He would give the club as much as Ablett gave the Suns - and you can see what he has done for them.

I'm a huge Dce fan but he's not worth 1 mill a yr let alone 1.3

I'd struggle to get my head around him being worth 7-800 grand.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Any injuries to our blokes?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Any injuries to our blokes?
    If you mean from the nines then I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I'm a huge Dce fan but he's not worth 1 mill a yr let alone 1.3

I'd struggle to get my head around him being worth 7-800 grand.
    Know what you mean Teke but there would be quite a few blokes on 700 grand now I reckon. Regardless of what we think of that, that is the market unfortunately. I agree that he is not worth 1.3m but there would be third party deals in that I would think. The other factor is that I think we will have to pay overs for a while to get the top blokes here. DCE would attract a lot more members and corporates to the club so he would go a long way to paying his way.

Daly Cherry-Evans is not a player that a team like ours can over spend on. He would be worth every single cent of the rumoured $1.3M that has been bandied around.

The biggest concern is his partner (girlfriend or wife I'm not sure). She's from Sydney's northern suburbs and they bought a nice house together only recently - chances are she's gonna want to live in it.

I'm holding out hope we pull this off, but the likely scenario is that his manager is using us as leverage.