Page 53 of 281 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 153 ... LastLast

Titans’ pursuit for star halfback Daly Cherry-Evans sours following drug scandal

CHRIS GARRY AND PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL FEBRUARY 20, 2015 11:00PM

THE Gold Coast Titans’ cocaine scandal has put their pursuit of Daly Cherry-Evans on life support.

The Titans were already struggling to come up with third party sponsorship deals to match Manly Sea Eagles’ offer and now two of their players have been charged for supplying cocaine.

The Titans are trying to institute a “no wankers” policy at the club and have repeatedly quelled Cherry-Evans’ concerns their culture was not up to NRL standard and their resources could not produce a premiership.

Culture, not money, was the Titans’ main pitch to Cherry-Evans but now they can’t even promise him that.

Already without a major sponsor, the charging of two Titans players is a serious blow to the club’s brand rebuild.

Titans’ staff were quietly confident of snaring Cherry-Evans, but the charging of Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling with cocaine supply has them privately fearing the Manly star is now no chance of moving north.

The Titans were selling Cherry-Evans on being part of the re-birth of a club, a chance to do what Greg Inglis did when he joined South Sydney and transform a club from rebuilders to premiers.

Cherry-Evans’ manager Gavin Orr gave the Titans hope on Friday that his client remained in their sights.

Orr said the Test playmaker, who turned 26 on Friday, was seriously weighing up whether to join the Titans next season.

“He’s celebrating his birthday today and hanging out with his family,” Orr said.

“Daly will make his decision in the next week. The Titans are a genuine option, he wouldn’t have visited them if he wasn’t. ”But whether this incident affects his opinion, I can’t answer that right now.

“Daly values his brand but one incident doesn’t make the Titans a bad club. I’ll talk to him in the coming days and we’ll make a call in the near future.”

From 2011 to 2014, the Titans’ culture lurched into disgrace.

This year was meant to be a new beginning but an incident from last year has destroyed the solid foundations coach Neil Henry and the off-field staff had built.

The new Titans regime has been working tirelessly to restore the club’s credibility, which began when they stripped Greg Bird of the captaincy for urinating in public.

It was a direct confrontation to the playing group, that this version of the Titans would not tolerate poor behaviour.

Then they sacked Paul Carter for repeated alcohol offences to reinforce their message.

Now the poor behaviour of players has seriously impacted the club’s future as an NRL entity.

A bit of promising news that gives us a glimmer of hope..

there is something wrong with the club
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    there is something wrong with the club
    nicely understated

nicely said by the manager. didnt stick the boot in, gave us hope on a day when there is little going around.

Junior

This may seem way out of left field. But with a large demographic of kiwi and Polynesians living in the SEQ region, wouldn't it be interesting to see the Titans sign a few more of these players mainly high profile ones. You notice when ever the kiwis or Warriors play there the stadium is packed. I think this would be a great ploy to get more support behind the side.

Maybe it is time to throw some $$ at Trent Merrin.

Merrin > Myles or Bird or Taylor (> = greater than)
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Merrin > Myles or Bird or Taylor (> = greater than)
    lol'd at the fact you had to explain that after last times train-wreck

happy with Merrin as mentioned in another thread. have the cash, but you dont get the chance to rebuild often, so we cant go overboard out of desperation. DCE is the only one that we could be excused for going a bit crazy for.

What about Costigin? He would be alright?
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

If you are talking about Neville Costigan I think we are better off not going there. Maybe for this season if we are desperate but I'd prefer to find younger guys to blood.

This is a bit ridiculous but if we can't get DCE to sign and we have plenty of cash to spend I wouldn't mind us chasing Billy Slater. I know he is getting on but he fits a big need on and off the field. Probably never happen but it could work.

I doubt we could attract Jordan Rankin back to the club at this stage. Not to mention the exodus of current players that will be leaving at the end of this year when their contracts are up. The club has no bargaining power at the moment.

I now suppose that Ingram, Paasi, Li and Sironen will all get contracts full time. At least that will add SOME depth.
    #iwillneverwalkaway