Thread: Cowboys Stadium

Default Cowboys Stadium

Nrl reveals vision for cbd superstadium

THE National Rugby League has committed to help fund the Townsville CBD super stadium and has released an advanced concept for the 25,000-seat arena.

In the strongest indication yet that the stadium is close to going ahead, NRL chief executive David Smith toured the proposed Ross Creek site on Saturday and said there could be no better location for the project.

Mr Smith (pictured) was in Townsville for the Cowboys’ elimination final win against the Brisbane Broncos and displayed concept art for the stadium in the club’s corporate suite.

The artwork shows a horseshoe-shaped stadium with an open end that can later be converted to more seating to boost capacity to 30,000.

With the designs near complete, the Bulletin understands the NRL plans to contribute about $10 million towards the stadium project, which is expected to cost about $186 million.

The stadium is part of a precinct being planned, which would include an integrated entertainment and convention centre and a centre of sporting excellence.

The total cost for the precinct is estimated at $316 million.

It is understood the State Government is poised to provide $150 million while Townsville City Council would take up the roadworks component, with an estimated value of $15 million.

That would leave an $11 million shortfall for the stadium component.

The council will also court the Queensland Rugby Union and Football Federation Australia for support, while lobbying continues to attract Federal Government support and funding.

Mr Smith said the stadium was a great opportunity for the city.

“I think it’s just it will be fantastic and will revolutionise the town,” he said. “The opportunity to have something so ingrained, right in the centre of town, that is for every part of the community is phenomenal.

Full story in today’s Townsville Bulletin
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I have to say I love how in all these types of mock ups the "people" they insert behave more like Sims than actual footy fans. They should be wearing club colours, carrying flags and foam hands and be in families and groups.

As for the stadium itself. Rugby League needs this and the Cowboys deserve it.

Also well done to the NRL for being willing to chip in and invest Rugby League funds. It should surely bring benefit to the game and supporters.

The Clubhouse (in the CBD) is roughly about 1k away from the proposed site, all the more reason to bring it on.

Dunno what to make of the awning though. After experiencing Cyclone Althea in '71, a Category 4 or 5 could possibly see it being ripped off 'n scattered all over the countryside.

Looks great except for the open end - same as Bluetongue which effects the atmosphere with no one at one end. I appreciate the article says seats can be added, well do it at the start.
    I am biased but if the NRL are assisting with money, then I think Brooky is a higher priority. I was at 1300 Smiles two weeks ago and although it is a bit of a dump, it is still better than what Manly play out of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Looks great except for the open end - same as Bluetongue which effects the atmosphere with no one at one end. I appreciate the article says seats can be added, well do it at the start.
    I am biased but if the NRL are assisting with money, then I think Brooky is a higher priority. I was at 1300 Smiles two weeks ago and although it is a bit of a dump, it is still better than what Manly play out of now.
    I guess the issue is that this is the only stadium for a thousand kms around. Whereas if Manly want to play out of a decent stadium there's always the SFS a few kms away.

No hill?
    1300 has hills and stands on both ends.... Best of both worlds at each end...

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by kioli View Post
    I guess the issue is that this is the only stadium for a thousand kms around. Whereas if Manly want to play out of a decent stadium there's always the SFS a few kms away.
    I was going to mention this, but kioli got to it first.

It's a bit deeper than that too, and a lot of Northerners have been dirty about the lack infrastructure throughout the North compared to the S.E. Corner for quite some time. The only noticeable funding that seen at ground level, is usually when a natural disaster has taken place. Apart from that, they see next to nothing unless it comes from the private sector. So if you can envisage (as a Northerner does) your tax dollars and local mining royalties constantly heading south for decades, and nothing new being built (like a Stadium) locally. It does keep hitting a nerve quite often.

It's to the point with a lot of them they want to divide Queensland into two states, and justifiably so if you've been following this injustice for many years.

Enjoy the Riverwalk when it reopens, Brisbane.
    Last edited by Toads; 19-09-14 at 06:58 PM.

Hopefully we will see something happen now the QLD election is over.

Federal Government to give NQ Cowboys $15M for high-performance facility
    https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/

THE NORTH Queensland Cowboys have secured half the funding needed to build a world-class high-performance facility, with the Federal Government to commit $15 million in the Budget. The multipurpose inner-city Cowboys HQ has been spruiked as the saving grace for the North Queensland NRL team and a way to ensure the club remains a force for the next 50 years. Plans for the proposed $50 million Community, Training and High Performance Centre were unveiled in the Bulletinearlier this month.

It will be built next to the new North Queensland Stadium and will incorporate a full-sized training field, community areas, multi-sport high-performance training spaces, sports medicine and sports science laboratories, as well as Stadium and administration offices.

Once built, the facilities could attract touring sports teams and other elite athletes looking for state-of-the art sport science and training facilities.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison will today announce $15 million in funding has been earmarked for the project in the Federal Budget.

Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini has previously said the club could afford $15 million toward the facility but would need the rest to come from government funding.

The Cowboys have unveiled designs for a world-class high performance facility that will ensure the North Queensland club remains a force in the NRL for the next 50 years. Artists Impression Cox Architecture.

“We applaud this investment as a huge boost for the revitalisation of our city centre and region,” he said.

“This will be a multipurpose community facility and its development will be a confidence booster for our recovering economy.”

LNP candidate for Herbert Phil Thompson said the state-of-the-art centre would be an asset to the whole community.

“The detailed proposal was brought to me by the Cowboys, I read through it, it was great because it wasn’t just about football, it was about bringing healthcare in, bringing the (Townsville) Fire in,” he said. “I spoke to the Prime Minister’s office about it and the relevant ministers, and it just ticked all the boxes.”

Team captain Michael Morgan said there was an opportunity to develop young players coming through and hold on to the talent across North Queensland.

Cowboys coach Paul Green said the project was integral to stop leaking rugby league talent down south and called on other levels of government to chip in.

“It is very difficult to compete on a recruitment basis if you’ve got the best talent coming through and other clubs want to buy them and they have a state-of-the-art training facility,” Mr Green said.

Cowboys chief executive Jeff Reibel said the club was able to stay at 1300SMILES Stadium until at least the 2020 season.

“However, it’s very important that we have a short-term transition plan to unite our administration, training and commercial operations with our playing base, for efficiency and continuity, and because we are certain it will be the best setup for a winning NRL team,” he said.