Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

From watching the highlights looked like Fogarty stepped up at 5/8th, looked very sharp and decisive

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to see James Roberts at fullback on a permanent basis. So much speed and he would get the space he needs to do more damage.
    welcome to the forum mate. Love the coal train. one of my favourites and for all his critics, if everyone put in like he did last year, we would have won more games.

Paasi/Li/Gordon and Pettybourne will all trial with U20's v Tweed this weekend

12 NRL players in weekend trials

Seasoned NRL performer Eddy Pettybourne will put on the Titans jersey for the first time at Piggabeen Sports Complex tomorrow, one of 12 players from the Titans NRL squad involved in trials over the weekend.

The tough back-rower/prop will be one of four NRL players who will bolster Ben Woolf’s under-20s extended squad which will have a hit-out against the Tweed Heads Seagulls. He will joined by Kevin Gordon, who returns from hip and knee injuries, and triallists Leva Li and Agnatius Paasi.

The Seagulls will field Matt Srama, Davin Crampton, Kane Elgey, Jamal Fogarty and triallists Damien Sironen and Jai Ingram in the clash that starts at 3.30pm.

Meanwhile, Burleigh Bears take on Ipswich Jets in a trial at Fifth Park, Mudgereeba, with a 5.30pm kick-off (junior trials start at 2.30pm). Jamie Dowling, a Bears junior, and David Hala will play for Burleigh.

“It’s a chance for our triallists to have another opportunity to impress and a chance for the coaching staff to have another look at them,” said head coach Neil Henry.

“I’m looking forward to see Leva have a run in the centres after he played well on the wing in Toowoomba.

“Eddy and Dave Hala could do with the match fitnerss. Eddy missed a bit of training through illness after joining the club and a cut mouth restricted David’s minutes against the Warriors.

“It’s a bit of back to the future for Kevvie who debuted for the club in under-20s way back; he’s finally right to go after overcoming his injuries and after a long layoff and it will be good for ‘JD’ to get some more game time under his belt.”

Woolf has picked a strong side for the clash with 26 of his squad in the 30-man line-up. Oshea Tuiasau and Parahi Wilson return from long-term injuries. Other squad members will play in Burleigh and Tweed under-20s trials.

20's Lineup:

Kelly
    Mika
    Spring
    Huddo
    Rory
    Lawton
    Schwassy
    Tuiasau
    Fletcher
    Iodice
    Coleman
    Wright
    Wilson
    Greg L
    Page
    Cartwright
    Fatefehi
    Grant
    Torpy
    Watts
    Hayden Schwass
    Berkers
    Max Elliot
    Cade Maloney
    Hughes
    Gillham

+ Leva Li, Eddy petty, Paasi and Gordon

http://www.titans.com.au/news/2015/0...yers_in_w.html

This will be a tough hit out for the 20's players as they come up against a 1st grade squad & after speaking to Dan last night i know he's looking forward to tackling Siro & co tomorrow
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    This will be a tough hit out for the 20's players as they come up against a 1st grade squad & after speaking to Dan last night i know he's looking forward to tackling Siro & co tomorrow
    Defintely in the wrong job.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

FYI, it is now showing on Titans website for article that HS put up, that game is now be played at Les Burger Oval, Cabarita, why cant they play at Piggabeen. 20s looks a strong squad + playing with & against NRL players will be a great experience and should be very good trial & hard.
    On Titans website earlier this Week, Woolfe was interviewed and stated that it appeared Jed Cartwright & Harry Hughes still not 100%, so doubt if they are playing.
    Also he said that he will be only taking a squad of 19 players to Rockhampton for trial the following week.
    Lov that the Footy Season is upon us.

Review from U20's trial:

(I wasn't there, just going off what info I've retrieved from spectators and players. I've posted the exact same comment in the NYC thread so if you've already seen that then feel free to keep scrolling)

Sounds like the U20's went well.

Schwass and Torpy both played well although Torpy got late shotted and concussed. Lawton went good too apparently. Jed Cartwright had a strong audition for that vacant centre position and it sounds like Brian Kelly will likely get the nod at fullback with him being the more experienced player at that level.

Paasi and Li were both solid too by the sounds of things and wouldn't have played themselves out of getting the nod for a contract.

Elgey played well and showed his usual class. Some saying he looked a class above however I'm hearing that the U20's made extra effort to shut him down and it sounds like this was achieved pretty well. Fogarty was solid without being spectacular.

Davin Crampton was the star of the show by all reports and described as a freak by one of the blokes he was playing against

good signs all round, apparently Woolfy has some tough selection decisions!

Myles and Bird back for final trial

Titans coach Neil Henry has selected a near full-strength side for the final trial match against the North Queensland Cowboys in Cairns on Saturday night.

International forwards Nate Myles and Greg Bird will have their first hit-outs of 2015 while newcomer Eddy Pettybourne will start from the bench and Aidan Sezer will return after suffering a cheekbone injury in the Auckland Nines.

Last year’s Paul Broughton Medal winner, hooker Beau Falloon, will miss the match because of a minor hamstring injury suffered at training and Mark Ioane a knee injury suffered in the trial against the Warriors but both are hopeful of being fit for the NRL season opener against Wests Tigers at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday March 7. David Hala has been ill and missed training, so will also not play.

It is sure to be a high quality final trial with the Cowboys also announcing a strong squad that includes co-captains Johnathan Thurston and Matthew Scott, fellow internationals Jason Taumalolo and Ben Hannant and brilliant young back Michael Morgan.

Henry said, while still a trial with an extended squad of 22 to play over four quarters, it’s an important clash as the only match with the bulk of the likely round one side getting time together.

“There are certainly spots in the team which are still up for grabs, particularly in the three-quarters, and up front,” he said.

“We’ll rotate players in the backs and give Will Zillman and Josh Hoffman time at fullback and centre and look at some other combinations, with Ryan James dropping back to the second-row where he could be dangerous on the edge.

“The Cowboys are going to be one of the benchmark teams this season so it will be a valuable hit out for our guys, and the humid conditions in Cairns will be a test. But it’s a great promotion for rugby league to have two near full-strength NRL teams play up there.

“Beau suffered a grade-one hamstring tear at training and is obviously pretty frustrated he’ll miss the match but if it progresses OK he’ll be available for the first round.

“There are a couple of slight injury concerns we’ll look at before we leave but hopefully we’ll be intact.”

The team:

William Zillman

David Mead

Josh Hoffman

James Roberts

Anthony Don

Aidan Sezer

Daniel Mortimer

Luke Douglas

Kierran Moseley

Nate Myles (capt)

Ryan James

David Taylor

Greg Bird

Interchange:

Ryan Simpkins

Matt White

Matt Robinson

Kane Elgey

Kevin Gordon

Eddy Pettybourne

Matt Srama

Brad Tighe

Lachlan Burr

http://www.titans.com.au/content/tit...ird_back_.html

- - - Updated - - -

Zillman getting first crack at fullback...a certain reward for winning the beep test

Few points of interest.
    -Bird at lock instead of Myles. I'm fine with that really but will be interested to see how James goes on the left edge. I'm sure myles will be rotated to lock as well, though.
    -Elgey being given another shot when Hazard and Fogarty have been excluded. He's next in line for NRL and this will be a great test for him playing against the best half in the world in JT.
    -This is a great opportunity for Moseley to prove he is worthy of starting.
    -Zillman or Hoffman will be at centre rd 1, the other at fullback. Brad Tighe looks to be the immediate back-up for this position, with the exclusion of Davin Crampton (which I'm a little confused about in all honesty)

Bring on an injury free trial & hopefully the last time we'll ever see Zillman wearing the number 1 jersey

- - - Updated - - -

Not surprised that Hala has an injury as he looked very average for Burleigh last week & no where near match fit, he'll have plenty of time playing at Pizzey Park before he gets a crack at Cbus , hoping the Crampton exclusion is because he showed enough last week against Tweed to prove his worth.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Not surprised that Hala has an injury as he looked very average for Burleigh last week & no where near match fit, he'll have plenty of time playing at Pizzey Park before he gets a crack at Cbus , hoping the Crampton exclusion is because he showed enough last week against Tweed to prove his worth.
    Interesting your comment about Hala as when I read the article something doesn't read right to me. It says he has been ill and missed training - usually when you are ill it means one or two sessions and you don't get cut because of it. The article doesn't mention an injury and your comment about his match fitness is a worry. I wonder if there is something else or is it just my suspicious mind!

There is a real opportunity for Moseley and I hope he grabs it.

I honestly don't know how Gordon gets in there? Carrying spare wingers is just 'out there' and Crampton or another centre would have been much better, imho.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Titans fly into torrential conditions for Saturday night pre-season trial against the Cowboys in Cairns
    http://www.goldcoast.com.au

FORGET the Cowboys, the Gold Coast Titans’ toughest opponent this weekend may be Mother Nature instead.

The Titans are scheduled to fly to Cairns on Thursday to face North Queensland in a pre-season trial on Saturday.

But the weather gods may play a big part in whether the game goes ahead.

Queensland is expected to be slammed by heavy rain in the coming days with two low systems hovering off the coast.

Titans coach Neil Henry said the weather was a concern but he was confident the game would go ahead.

“There’s a bit of a low pressure system in the gulf but as far as I know they’ve just got scattered showers up there and the all other stuff is moving a bit further south,” he said.

“You expect rain around Cairns and Townsville at this time of the year so we’ll wait and see.

“I was up there (North Queensland) for nine years and played plenty of wet trials up at Barlow Park where it drains well. That won’t be an issue if it’s wet.

“It’s whether or not we can get in and out of the place around the airport closures if the weather’s too stormy or too wet.

“We’ll wait and see. There’s no point worrying about it now. That weather system could just peter out and our indications are the game will go ahead.”

Henry named his team for the clash this morning which will see William Zillman start at fullback.

Hooker Beau Falloon will miss the match him a hamstring tear but is expected to be fit four Round 1 of the NRL season on March 7 against Wests Tigers at Cbus Super Stadium.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Fresh Gold Coast Titans skipper Nate Myles ready for first hit-out in trial match
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

NATE Myles freely admits he was not blessed with the “best rig” but for the first time in many seasons he is ready to enter an NRL season a well-oiled machine.

The Titans skipper had shoulder and bicep surgery last year and will make his first appearance of 2015 in Saturday’s trial with North Queensland in Cairns.

“I wasn’t blessed with physical looks through the family in the body department, so I had to make up for it with a bit of work,” Myles said.

“The pre-season aim is to get your body as close as you can to 100 per cent for the season.

“There are injuries you pick up that hang around for the rest of your career, but you have to deal with it.

“I haven’t been too bad to be honest. I probably dramatise it a little bit with my facials but it is good so far, my body is feeling good.

“It has been a long preseason, don’t get me wrong. It has been tough and I’m looking forward to getting out and playing.”

Myles will lead a near full-strength Titans outfit, with axed co-captain Greg Bird to play for the first ime in 2015 after overcoming knee and foot trouble.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I honestly don't know how Gordon gets in there? Carrying spare wingers is just 'out there' and Crampton or another centre would have been much better, imho.
    Its a jostle for positions, kev don and co all going for the vacant spot so
    He has to be there
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]