Default Jack Rogers set to follow in the famous footsteps of his dad and grandad

TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN SEPTEMBER 01, 2014 8:56AM

THE Rogers name is set to live on in the NRL with former dual international Mat’s son Jack chasing his rugby league dream.

Jack Rogers is an 80kg teenager who is following a similar path to his father.

Mat carved out a stunning career which started for Cronulla, the club his father Steve made famous, and ended at the Gold Coast *Titans, following a successful stint in rugby union.

Jack has a long way to go to emulate his father’s feats but is determined to reach the top echelon of the sport.

He’s bigger and stronger than Mat was at 18 and will chase his professional dreams when he graduates from Palm Beach Currumbin High this year.

“He’s coming into his own now. He’s starting to blossom into a good footballer,” Mat said.

“He plays a bit of a different game to me. He’s stronger than I was at that age. He breaks tackles but I avoided tackles.

He’s got the hands and skill but he probably plays a tougher game than I did.

“He’s got what it takes. It’s just a matter of time to get the opportunity.

“He just has to focus on playing well and the right people will be watching.”

Jack was a standout at the recent Queensland rugby union state championships but reckons his future lies in rugby league.

“I want to progress from where I am now to NRL,” Jack said.

“I grew up playing league and watching league. It’s *always been league.

“I don’t feel like I have to live up to anything. I just love playing footy and dad supports me which is good.

“I’ve got to put my head down and do a bit more work than everyone else now.”

Mat carved out an outstanding professional career, playing 200 NRL games, eight State of Origins for Queensland and 11 Test matches. He went on to play 45 Tests for the Wallabies during a five-year stint with the NSW Waratahs, who he left to become a foundation player with the Titans.

Mat said he thrived on being the son of league legend Steve but Jack had a different personality.

“He’s playing tough and is having a real go. I just want him to be happy,” he said.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a smart kid. Hope he stays in our system.

Immortal

Is coming from GPS rugby where he played centre and was known for his speed and toughness

If he has just an iota of his father's skills then he is blessed. Anybody want to debate who was better, Steve or Matt?

I'll start; Matt had more tattoos.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Can't say I saw Steve play. But I really thought Mat was a very talented footballer. Would love to see a third generation.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior

Played for TSS in the QLD GPS rugby comp, by all reports he went ok without being a standout (aus schoolboys). Good luck to him, he would have a decent footy brain coming from that family.

Matty was always my favourite player and hated it when he retired. If Jack is showing signs of the depth of talent that his father and grandfather showed, then the Titans need to get onto it. The under 20s could certainly benifit and who knows from there.

Here's to 2015

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Can't say I saw Steve play. But I really thought Mat was a very talented footballer. Would love to see a third generation.
    They were chalk and cheese ... Steve was a chunky centre and played just like Michael Jennings but on the right side. I was coaching Darwin when Steve was CEO and Matt was running around as a kid. I asked Steve what happened there and he said "I didn't feed him enough when he was a baby."
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.