Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    Congrats to the new coach. Zillman named for Bulldogs game at FB and David Mead benched. Humph!
    It's Baileys and Mini's last games on the weekend. Hopefully Henry picked Zilly for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Typical Neil Henry specials over the weekend like running Michaels off the bench and now Meady too. As a cowboys fan I was stoked to see "the king" leave. Henry is a useless coach and everyone will want his head by mid next season. I definitely will not be getting a membership next season.
    Absolutely entitled to your opinion Nick, but as many others have said, we wanted change and have got it. I was also not going to renew if there were no changes but they have made changes and as I desperately want to see this team on the Coast and be successful I am happy to put my money where my mouth is. I hope if performances dictate next season that you would take out a membership as it's time to look to the future and not dwell on the past. It will take time to turn this around.

It isnt just SIMPLE change we wanted.

We needed to break out of the shackles of cronyism and jobs for the boys.

Now the clean up exercise begins.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Henry is in a great position now ... he is re-positioning himself away from the previous roster and only time will tell what magic he can provide or not.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Henry is in a great position now ... he is re-positioning himself away from the previous roster and only time will tell what magic he can provide or not.
    Totally agree Titanic. From now he will make the players play for their positions and place in the Titans Organisation. Those players that already know he is not likely to want to keep on will start looking elsewhere maybe for next year already. So we may see some players move on before the start of next season. It will be that the Titans won't be the place to come for a holiday and play some footy. It will be footy first.

I will fully support Neil Henry as I along with everybody else wanted a coaching change and we have it now. Kings appointment as coach is IMO the right one as he has had success at other clubs and I would expect the same here. IMO success in 2015 is attractive footy and finishing just outside the eight. Neil has identified junior Developement as a key component to his plan going forward which excites me.

Some have called for a QLD centric coach and King fits that criteria. Additionally his previous position in the Qld Origin Team gives King insight to who he thinks would be a good fit for the Titans going forward as well as the emerging and under 20 network as well.

There are a lot of people on here that see Mead's position in the team as a direct link between the Cartwright era and the yet to begin Henry era. Let's be real, this is still Cartwright's team and there is ZERO point in assessing Henry until he has had the opportunity to put his own stamp upon the team. For me that will be next season after he has had a preseason to set goals, standards and structures.

I think it also needs to be said that Mead is not the answer that everybody seems to think he is. There is very, very strong sentiment for him on this forum based on a handful of encouraging performances but there are still a number of issues in his game that need to be ironed out. Foremost among these issues is his seeming inability to run out a full game at the back without cramping up. He may be the frontrunner for the #1 jersey for next season but what sort of message does Henry send to the team if he throws him back there now when he is clearly not at 100% fitness?? I haven't watched the Warriors game so I can't comment there but he was absolutely woeful against the Cowboys - he should never have played in that game.

No player in the NRL ever DESERVES anything - they need to work for any reward. Mead can be the #1 but he needs to work for it, not simply expect it. I can think of only two teams (outside of us) where he would get first crack at FB - Canterbury and Canberra, and he would be crazy to go to either of those clubs for different reasons. Being coached by Ricky would be career suicide and having a run of poor form at Canterbury would see him in NSW cup with some real strength in the outside backs there.

This weeks game is nothing more than a send off for retiring players and an exercise in going through the motions to end the season. We will probably get lapped. But it really will mean nothing. The work for Henry begins when the full time siren sounds, preparing for us to be competitive in 2015.

Junior

Henry can build a great squad as he did with the cowboys, unfortunately he couldn't get them playing football and often relied on individual work (sounds similar to the titans). The cowboys have been a much better side without Henry.

I am happy for the change, Carty and Searle out of major roles is excellent but personally I don't think Henry will be the answer to getting the titans any closer to a premiership or even a consistent team.

I do hope this time next year I am eating my words.. I probably will still join as I can't stop watching footy I just hope they can play like a team worth supporting.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Nick; 03-09-14 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Double up

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    There are a lot of people on here that see Mead's position in the team as a direct link between the Cartwright era and the yet to begin Henry era. Let's be real, this is still Cartwright's team and there is ZERO point in assessing Henry until he has had the opportunity to put his own stamp upon the team. For me that will be next season after he has had a preseason to set goals, standards and structures.

I think it also needs to be said that Mead is not the answer that everybody seems to think he is. There is very, very strong sentiment for him on this forum based on a handful of encouraging performances but there are still a number of issues in his game that need to be ironed out. Foremost among these issues is his seeming inability to run out a full game at the back without cramping up. He may be the frontrunner for the #1 jersey for next season but what sort of message does Henry send to the team if he throws him back there now when he is clearly not at 100% fitness?? I haven't watched the Warriors game so I can't comment there but he was absolutely woeful against the Cowboys - he should never have played in that game.

No player in the NRL ever DESERVES anything - they need to work for any reward. Mead can be the #1 but he needs to work for it, not simply expect it. I can think of only two teams (outside of us) where he would get first crack at FB - Canterbury and Canberra, and he would be crazy to go to either of those clubs for different reasons. Being coached by Ricky would be career suicide and having a run of poor form at Canterbury would see him in NSW cup with some real strength in the outside backs there.

This weeks game is nothing more than a send off for retiring players and an exercise in going through the motions to end the season. We will probably get lapped. But it really will mean nothing. The work for Henry begins when the full time siren sounds, preparing for us to be competitive in 2015.
    Mead doesnt expect anything, he worked all offseason to get in a position to rally for FB, he got it through injury, worked his way outta cramping and into form. He will do the same because thats how hard he works.

Hopefully its at another club
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Mead doesnt expect anything, he worked all offseason to get in a position to rally for FB, he got it through injury, worked his way outta cramping and into form. He will do the same because thats how hard he works.

Hopefully its at another club
    Has Mead even played a full game at fullback this season? Great player but he needs to work on his fitness and overall game before he can be our first choice fullback. Best fullback CURRENTLY at the club IMO but yeah he needs to work on his game.
    Last edited by Titan4Life; 03-09-14 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Has Mead even played a full game at fullback this season? Great player but he needs to work on his fitness and overall game before he can be our first choice fullback. Best fullback CURRENTLY at the club IMO but yeah he needs to work on his game.
    He's played many 80 min games at the back. Those he cramped up in he was running upwards of 300 mtrs. Best FB at club/ needs to work on things to become 1st choice? Doesnt make sense

Im sick of chatting about him, you're sick of hearing it, no more more spamming from me.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Its the start of a new era but that won't start until round 1 next season so i couldn't give a Shyte if Taylor plays fullback this weekend it's a nothing game against a nothing team..

Stop talking rubbish Teke , Mead will be our fullback next year & will have his contract upgraded
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Its the start of a new era but that won't start until round 1 next season so i couldn't give a Shyte if Taylor plays fullback this weekend it's a nothing game against a nothing team..

Stop talking rubbish Teke , Mead will be our fullback next year & will have his contract upgraded
    Nah mate, it's Bull's last game and with his quick tap skills he is a shoo in for Fb this week.

Is SportsBet offering anything on Bull kicking a goal this week?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Is SportsBet offering anything on Bull kicking a goal this week?
    Titans are going back to back donuts
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Henry the right man for the Titans
    September 3, 2014

RLW’s JOEL GOULD looks at the Gold Coast Titans’ decision to appoint Neil Henry as head coach.

TO UNDERSTAND the benefits Neil Henry will bring to the Titans as head coach look no further than the Cowboys.

When Henry, who has accepted a three-year deal at the Gold Coast, took over at the Cowboys in 2009 the club had finished 15th the previous season and had a roster and culture that needed a major overhaul.

Henry set to work to shed some of the players who had stayed too long and bring in players who have contributed to the success of the past four years.

After two seasons rebuilding Henry took the Cowboys to three consecutive finals series (2011-13), the first North Queensland coach to do so.

He brought in quality Origin players and outstanding characters such as Dallas Johnson and Brent Tate, and secured Ashton and Tariq Sims from the Broncos.

His decision to make Matt Scott a co-captain with Johnathan Thurston in 2011 was another masterstroke.

Henry demands accountability from his staff and players and is highly regarded for having one of the sharpest brains in the game when it comes to devising game plans.

When Darren Lockyer was guest editor of RLW’s ‘Dynasty’ magazine on the Maroons extraordinary domination of Origin, he pinpointed Henry as one of the key inside men in that success.

Lockyer gave Henry credit for creating a blueprint and game plan to thwart the Blues in his four years as assistant coach (2006-2009).

“For a lot of guys who hadn’t been coached by him it was an educational thing and he gave you an extra focus,” Lockyer said at the time.

“Neil brought an effective game plan for us.”

Henry, for all the reasons mentioned above, is just what the Titans need at this point in their development as a club.

After a strong start to their short existence the Titans, after four seasons of missing the finals, are in similar position to the Cowboys when Henry took over.

He will ensure that the mediocrity of the past four seasons is not tolerated and you can be certain he is planning right now to bring players to the club that can create a winning culture on and off the field.

It is a folly to look at the Titans’ recent performances under Henry as a barometer for how they may perform in the future.

The club has been ravaged by injuries and the roster is in need of a major overhaul.

Henry is working with the team he was given.

But you can expect that to change in the near future.

The Titans need at least two marquee backs – preferably a strike centre and a representative half or fullback.

Up front they require at least two game breaking forwards in the mould of a Jason Taumalolo or Tariq Sims.

Now that there is certainty over the coach at the Titans until the end of 2017 the club is in a far stronger position to negotiate with player managers.

The Titans can go forward from here with a new spring in their step.

Appointing Henry was the right move.