Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Titans Set for Fullback Showdown

TITANS SET FOR FULLBACK SHOWDOWN
    Joel Gould
    October 12, 2014

WILLIAM Zillman and David Mead are set for a showdown for the coveted Titans fullback position next year.

There was controversy at the Titans mid-year when Mead’s off-field advisor Brendan Bourke told RLW the 25-year-old was fed up with being overlooked for the custodian role after starring in the position early in the season for the Titans and Country Origin.

There was speculation the PNG international may look to leave the club.

But after a heart-to-heart with former coach John Cartwright,Mead accepted his return to the wing but he is now keen to challenge the incumbent Zillman for the No.1 jersey.

The competition between the two is music to the ears of new coach Neil Henry, who needs healthy rivalry for key positions.

“William Zillman has had some injury problems around his hamstring and his back but he seemed to get over it at the back-end of the year,” Henry says.

“Meady is developing as a fullback and he enjoys the freedom you get in the position, but he has to adapt and learn.

“No doubt he brings the ball back well, he’s brave and has good hands.

“But his positional play has a fair way to go still and he needs to be aerobically a bit better. He knows he has a few areas to work on before he can see he is the complete package as far as a fullback goes. But he’ll get every opportunity to train there in the pre-season to push his claims.”

Henry worked with Zillman at Canberra and rates his professionalism and work ethic highly.

“It is up to us to utilise him the best we can, which I don’t think we did this year,” he says.

“There are a lot of reasons for that around injuries . . . with Aidan Sezer’s torn pec and Albert Kelly’s ongoing issues.”

Sezer, Kelly and Daniel Mortimer will challenge for two halves positions, while hooker and Titans player of the year Beau Falloon will be pushed all the way by Matt Srama.

Henry also has high hopes for 19-year-old hooker/half Christian Hazard. The Titans have signed back-rowers Matt Robinson (Panthers) and Lachlan Burr (Bulldogs) and have some room to move in their cap.

“Different clubs have some salary cap pressures and that means there may be some movement with players,” Henry says. “(But) we are not talking a marquee player.”

Having words with Toopi at meads wedding yesterday, Zillman has the spot for 2015.

Henry is just blowing wind that some ppl want to hear.

There is nothing wrong with his positional play at all, not even slightly. Giving that extra 10-20% effort on some defensive plays is the problem.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Honestly I don't care who is wearing the #1 jersey next year. As long as they give it their all and play in the jersey with pride I'm happy. Mead is a great winger and would play fantastic there, even though I would rather him at fullback over the current Zillman.

I am all for competition, brings out the best in them. Question is, is Mead ready for fullback he's going to have to be that much better than Zillman who's already proven. I am happy either way let Mead have a go if he's not an improvment back to Zillman

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Honestly I don't care who is wearing the #1 jersey next year. As long as they give it their all and play in the jersey with pride I'm happy. Mead is a great winger and would play fantastic there, even though I would rather him at fullback over the current Zillman.
    You've just settled for playing with pride now lol.

#signthehoff #dumpzilly #letmeadleave
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Can't agree … Zillman is a proven mediocre-at-best fullback which just won't cut it at NRL level where the team requires the 1, 6, 7 and 9 to be the most influential players … Mead may be raw but he is certainly a better option than the incumbent. The even bigger issue for this old fashioned bloke at least, was the total disrespect he was shown by the club this year.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Having words with Toopi at meads wedding yesterday, Zillman has the spot for 2015.

Henry is just blowing wind that some ppl want to hear.

There is nothing wrong with his positional play at all, not even slightly. Giving that extra 10-20% effort on some defensive plays is the problem.
    I know you are Mead's biggest fan, but i commented during the season that when Mead was playing fullback occasionally in defence he was out of position , particularly covering kicks. Not saying that can't be improved with experience.

To me, i think Zillman will be fullback unless he proves a viable option in the centres.

I know everyone wants to talk about the fullback but to me there are other bigger issues:-

A creative hooker. Hoping Srama can come back fit and hit some form. Falloon is not the answer.

Another centre to pair with Roberts. Brad Tighe is servicable, but i would love to see us go after Gagai next off-season.

Halves - i haven't given up on Sezer, but he needs a partner to take some pressure off him. Love Mortimers effort, but ideally he is coming off the bench to spell Srama.

Would also like to see Myles in the backrow. If we had of got Hennant would have been set with a prop rotation of Douglas, Hennant, James and Ioane.

Playing devil's advocate for a second.... could Zillman be better under Henry? We agree that Cartwright was terrible. Zillman played with Henry at the Raiders...

EDIT - I should probably also disclose that I have been drinking a fair bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausphin View Post
    I know you are Mead's biggest fan, but i commented during the season that when Mead was playing fullback occasionally in defence he was out of position , particularly covering kicks. Not saying that can't be improved with experience.

To me, i think Zillman will be fullback unless he proves a viable option in the centres.

I know everyone wants to talk about the fullback but to me there are other bigger issues:-

A creative hooker. Hoping Srama can come back fit and hit some form. Falloon is not the answer.

Another centre to pair with Roberts. Brad Tighe is servicable, but i would love to see us go after Gagai next off-season.

Halves - i haven't given up on Sezer, but he needs a partner to take some pressure off him. Love Mortimers effort, but ideally he is coming off the bench to spell Srama.

Would also like to see Myles in the backrow. If we had of got Hennant would have been set with a prop rotation of Douglas, Hennant, James and Ioane.
    im not his biggest fan I'm his family and biggest critic.
    Better edit the last bit, went to far lol
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

I do wonder how Zillman would perform under Henry who could work on his defence and ball playing skills. That being said if he is in bad form I expect him to be dropped, to work on his game, for Mead who we know is fairly solid

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    I do wonder how Zillman would perform under Henry who could work on his defence and ball playing skills. That being said if he is in bad form I expect him to be dropped, to work on his game, for Mead who we know is fairly solid
    I'm even more interested to see how Meady would perform under Henry. Like DB said last year, it was promising how quickly he was developing in the role - imagine what he could do with that progression over a pre-season and full playing season.

I'd be very surprised if Henry could snap Zillman out of his iincomprehensible game plays. You may as well just let me be Fullback, as I'd **** it up just as much as he does.

new coach and his positives about Zillman are the same as the old coach...good professionalism and work ethic.

face palm.

Zillman is past changing now … he is what he is and what he is not an NRL fullback. Mead at least has room to learn and improve.

As for Gagai, he is a right centre and so is Roberts. Let's talk about horses for courses when we discuss positional play and recruiting. No square pegs for rounds holes, please. However, I totally agree left centre is an issue but we are not inept there. Blair and Tighe can both play left side … the problem there is Bird and/or Zillman "chiming" (should read clunking) in.

Imagine if we had got Koroisou (spelling)? interesting that Hazard is listed as hooker/half.
    Last edited by Titanic; 13-10-14 at 01:16 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Having words with Toopi at meads wedding yesterday,
    Off topic but isn't Elise crazy? Her Matron of Honour speech was awesome! So was Brian's (Brains)