Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I am not convinced that Henry is the right choice BUT I am happy to be proven wrong. He does however have a massive advantage that most new head coaches never get. He has had nearly a year to observe the players currently on roster. Not just as an opposition coach as is normally the case, but up close, at training, pre game prep etc. He knows already who is good, bad, lazy etc so the pre season for him is already easier. He can now concentrate on the players he knows that will adapt to his game style rather than guessing his way through.

Everybody should have a read of this article:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...05-10d06t.html

because it highlights the issue that many of us have with Henry's contract ... he is the losing-est coach over his entire career (equal with Cartwright) except for Matt Elliott ... this is what has me holding my breath and the journo who wrote it poses the question that the Titans decision to appoint Henry is intriguing.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Great story Titanic.
    I agree i would have liked a younger coach at the club even some one who hasn't been an NRL coach. Young heads new ideas.
    Realistically i cant see us making the 8 next year either with our current squad.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Yeah.. But then you read articles like this. About Henry's unwavering support.

Cowboys centre Brent Tate wants to make Townsville home for good

JOSH ALSTON Townsville Bulletin September 06, 2014 7:45AM

HIS playing days may be done, but former Cowboy Brent Tate is still completely at home on the range.

In a candid interview with the Townsville Bulletin, the rugby league superstar revealed he has no plans on leaving Townsville despite his contractual commitments being over at the Cowboys.

Tate will go down in history as one of the greatest centres to ever pull on a jersey, with a decorated career that included 23 appearances for the Queensland Maroons and 26 international appearances for the Kangaroos.

He will also be remembered as one of the braves, coming back from neck injuries that threatened to derail his career in 2004, a broken jaw, broken shoulder and knees that broke down three times.

Eventually, though, it caught up with him and his fourth serious knee injury, during Origin II this year, would be his last game of top-flight footy. So what next for Tate?

Born in Roma, groomed for the NRL in Redcliffe, debuting in Brisbane, playing in New Zealand and his final years in North Queensland meant that Tate never really had a place to call home. But he reckons he has found that in Townsville.

“It’s funny when you’re travelling around, I don’t know where home is,” he said.

“But when I land here when we come away from Sydney or whereever I come from I know I’m landing back at home (in Townsville). It’s just our home.

“I think coming up here, that community feel, I don’t think I’ve ever been in a place that’s as unique as here.

“That word ‘community’, up here that’s what it really feels like. My young son goes to Hermit Park and my daughter goes to a daycare here, my wife has got a good job here, it has become home for us.

“We’re really happy here and at this stage there would be no reason to move.”

So Tate will prepare for the next phase of his life, trading strapping tape and footy boots for business suits and ties.

“There’s a part of me that is really apprehensive, really nervous,” he said.

“But there is also a part of me that is excited about what’s next. I’ve been doing this my whole life and I’m ready to throw myself into something other than footy.

“It will definitely be in the corporate stuff, that’s the sort of stuff I really enjoy.”

The representative arrived in Townsville in 2011, his knee shattered and his career at the crossroads.

He admitted he was ready to give it up then and there, quit footy and never make his North Queensland debut.

Thankfully, the heavyweights running the club gave him a reason to continue.

“I was 100 per cent going to finish when I did my third knee,” Tate said.

“It was obviously a real big disappointment but the great thing for me was I had guys like Neil Henry and Peter Parr and the whole club (behind me). Every time I spoke to those guys their support for me was unwavering.

“I reckon if I had have sensed in their voice just a little bit of doubt, I reckon I would have finished. At that stage I was looking for an excuse to finish. “Every time I spoke to Parrie and Neil, in particular, I never once didn’t believe what they were telling me. They were telling me, ‘just get your rehab and come back and play’.

“For me it was such a bigger deal than that but that was it and the reality of it.

“I started to believe them, I started to believe in myself and the rest is history.”

Now Tate wants to tap into the knowledge of those same heavyweights.

“We’ve got Lawrence (Lancini), Peter Jourdain, Peter Parr, Paul Green,” he said. “I don’t know what to say about those guys, the care that they’ve shown for their players, the club, as a player you understand that and you feel it.

“All those guys are very successful in their own right.

“We’ve got the Stockmen at the club too that are obviously a bunch of men that are very successful.

“I’m sure over the next couple of years I will be leaning on those guys as well just to learn.

“That’s what it’s about for me over the next couple of years, learning as much as I can.”

Source: townsvillebulletin.com

That is some encouraging comments from Brent Tate, who is such a hero in my book.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Also I agree with Titanic, I believe it is a positive shift in the NRL that clubs are looking for new blood. Overall the coaching standard will go up. Thank god the game has gotten to this level.

I was originally interested in a younger coach. But I am satisfied with Neil Henry, my urgency lays with getting the club's bank account in order so we can spend the full cap, building our junior pathways and signing some good players and good buys.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Am I the only one who believes that maybe Neil is playing Zillman at FB to prove that he is/was inferior to Mead the whole time? If that makes any sense? It's like Neil is saying to the Titans board "Yeah, he is average..we lose games with him at fullback" Just something that was hanging on my mind, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathonbcode View Post
    Am I the only one who believes that maybe Neil is playing Zillman at FB to prove that he is/was inferior to Mead the whole time? If that makes any sense? It's like Neil is saying to the Titans board "Yeah, he is average..we lose games with him at fullback" Just something that was hanging on my mind, haha.
    Had the same thoughts. I guess King will have a whole bunch of stats to go over in the off season. When he sits down with the players figures won't lie.

I am happy to wait and see what Henry can do. 5 seasons at Cowboys, 3 finals appearances, twice knocked out following terrible/controversial reffing decisions. Not saying they would have won, but at least they were playing finals footy.
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

New coaches are more of a risk. Just because Robinson and Maguire* have done well, it doesn't all of a sudden undo the Steve Kearneys, Nathan Browns and Jason Taylors of the world

* Neil Henry's biggest criticism has been that he couldn't win a premiership with Thurston. The last two years they weren't given a fair shot at it between Foran's "hand of god" and the sharks' seven tackle set. I would argue that Maguire has had a stronger team than the cowboys had so if the bunnies don't win this year does Maguire get marked as a flop?

Junior

New Coach certainly revved them up at half time against the Dogs
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Quote Originally Posted by mup23 View Post
    New coaches are more of a risk. Just because Robinson and Maguire* have done well, it doesn't all of a sudden undo the Steve Kearneys, Nathan Browns and Jason Taylors of the world

* Neil Henry's biggest criticism has been that he couldn't win a premiership with Thurston. The last two years they weren't given a fair shot at it between Foran's "hand of god" and the sharks' seven tackle set. I would argue that Maguire has had a stronger team than the cowboys had so if the bunnies don't win this year does Maguire get marked as a flop?
    Totally agree. Henry and the Cowboys had some issues go against them so one could argue they could have gone further. However they still made the finals and the Titans didn't those two years.

The point for a new coach verse a experienced coach is valid but IMO we need a coach that can guide us throught a rebuild phase and a network of players and off field staff that he can call on for recruitment. King is effectively taking on an underperformaning business and it like anyone else that has taken on such a business we should start to see the effects of how he runs the business mid next year. I have every confidence in King to do the job for us going forward. Once he sets up the systems and pathways to make us successful then the Titans could look to get a young new coach then. King has the experience to clean up this Business and we don't really appreciate that the job at hand is a lot bigger than what we see.

Long live the King. Titans to Rise And Rule.

Wonder when Henry will announce his coaching team,

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Wonder when Henry will announce his coaching team,
    I was wondering the same. This will tell us a lot by the staff that he keeps or recruits.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    I was wondering the same. This will tell us a lot by the staff that he keeps or recruits.
    Yep agree, I assume Henry will be able to clear the deck of any unwanted baggage to bring in fresh faces, hopefully other staff weren't locked in on 5 year contracts, I am really keen to see what structure he brings in and who he replaces, interesting times hopefully something soon