Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Marwan Koukash

This I found on Twitter from The Mirror.uk.

https://twitter.com/chrisirvine/stat...49967126794240

Salford owner Marwan Koukash appoints advisors in Australia as he steps up plans to bid for NRL club
    16 March 2015 10:30 PM Gareth Walker
    The Red Devils owner is believed to be interested in taking over Gold Coast Titans and revealed he almost quit Salford after St Helens demolition
    30 Shares
    121419457.jpg Getty
    Going for Gold? Marwan Koukash wants to be part of National Rugby League
    Salford owner Marwan Koukash has set up a team of advisors in Australia to push ahead with his bid to purchase an NRL club .

Koukash has also spoken to Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens - currently working as a consultant at the Red Devils - about the unnamed club, which is understood to be Gold Coast Titans.

Koukash told Super League TV: “I have a team currently in Australia pursuing that on my behalf.

“I have spoken to Tim about the NRL and it hasn’t changed my mind, I still want to get involved.

“I had hoped by now I would be involved, but things will happen when they are meant to happen.

“I love the sport, I love the competition over there - I’m sorry but it is a superior competition to what we have over here - and I want to be part of it.”

Koukash has also revealed that he considered walking away from Salford on the night he famously tweeted “I have had enough”, moments after a 52-6 home defeat to St Helens on February 12.

Marwan Koukash interview
    Koukash said: “Look, I’m a human after all and I have feelings and emotions. That day nothing was going right for me or for the club.

“A result like that in the evening when we got hammered when we shouldn’t have - I said I’d had enough and I really meant it. I was ready to walk away from the sport and the club.

I have had enough

— Marwan Koukash (@drmarwanK) February 12, 2015
    “But I reflected over it over the weekend and I have a commitment to the boys that I brought to the club.

“Everyone I signed I promised we would be competing, and I wasn’t going to leave a sinking ship.”
    Last edited by Bayside Titan; 17-03-15 at 08:20 PM.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

QLD Cup

Don't know the man but I would be very worried about having a single owner again. Palmer, Tinkler types don't lead to a lot of confidence. They seem to come with a lot of ego .... although Rusty seems to be doing ok with Souths

The bloke has no understanding of the Coast whatsoever, and seems to care little about it (going by previous articles).

So for mine.. He can go root his boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    The bloke has no understanding of the Coast whatsoever, and seems to care little about it (going by previous articles).

Don't want this bloke near the place. Seems to have many qualities similar to Palmer. I keep reading about his takeover at Salford yet their home crowd was 2,712 last weekend so it's obvious the home fans have not exactly embraced what he is doing there.

As a Titans Member. No thank you. He has already said he does not care much for the GC and move Team to Brisbane.

Hahahaha he will be "I have had enough" every week if he comes to us … he can root his boot backwards.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

After his previous comments regarding moving the club, not caring about thre region and trying to turn us into another Broncos, I think I'll be looking for another club to support if this douchebag took over.

@ThatJimmySmith: G'day @garethwalker13 @SLTV_ just on the unnamed club of interest to Marwan Koukash in the NRL , I can confirm it is the @GCTitans

I read an interview with him at one point and he was saying that he wanted to be the one who signed players...... No thanks.
    Might be time to start sending emails to the NRL voicing our opinion on this.

Surely the NRL wouldn't be that silly to even entertain the idea of this bloke buying them out (Titans). It wouldn't even be 12 months before they'd have to step back in and pick up the pieces once again. But by then, the majority of the fan base (what's left) would've most likely walked away altogether.
    Last edited by Toads; 18-03-15 at 09:04 AM.

Here is the previous article from a few months ago. He is very clear in moving the licence to Brisbane.

Maybe if the NRL do sell him the licence they might say the Team has to stay on the coast.

PETER BADEL EXCLUSIVE THE COURIER-MAIL FEBRUARY 10, 2015 11:00PM

BRITISH billionaire Marwan Koukash will consider investing in a relocated Gold Coast NRL team after aborting plans to buy a stake in the Brisbane Broncos.

Koukash, one of the richest men in world sport with an estimated worth of $3 billion, detailed his investment plan and urged the NRL to move the Titans closer to Brisbane.

Koukash is one of the UK’s great success stories, an eccentric, ambitious Palestinian refugee who has directed $5 million of his wealth to resurrect English league club Salford City.

Now the 56-year-old is ready to bring his billions to the NRL, having spent the past three months doing due diligence on the Broncos in talks with minority shareholder Phil Murphy.

But with News Corp, publishers of The Courier-Mail, having no plans to sell its 68 per cent stake in Brisbane, Koukash has gone cold on his Broncos ownership plan.

“A minority shareholder (Murphy) is interested in selling his shares, but I won’t be buying them,” Koukash said from the UK last night.

“I won’t be involved with the Broncos as a minority shareholder, that would not be of interest to me.

“If you’re asking whether I want to be involved in the Broncos ... well, I wouldn’t want to be involved with them or any other club as a minority shareholder. I don’t want others making decisions on my behalf.

“I have not spoken to News Corp and I have no plans to speak with them in the near future either. I don’t want to be a part-time owner, I want to be involved in the major decision-making of the club.

“The Broncos have been very successful and I have no doubt under the leadership of Wayne (Bennett, coach), he will get them to a grand final within two or three years.

“I’m taking my time now. This is not all talk, I want the NRL to know I am very interested in being involved, but I just don’t want to be a small investor, I want to be involved in the running of the club.”

With his Broncos dream seemingly dashed, Koukash remains determined to be a major player in the NRL.

Ideally, he wants to invest in an NRL team within 12 months and has tabled a radical proposal for a British-based team to play in the Australian premiership.

But with the NRL unlikely to entertain such a logistical nightmare, Koukash’s other option could be bankrolling a Queensland team to rival the Broncos.

The Titans’ financial struggles have been well documented over the past two years and Koukash’s vast wealth would transform an ailing Gold Coast club overnight.

The colourful Salford owner has not been in contact with the Titans, but says he would not rule out any viable NRL investment.

“Why doesn’t the NRL move the Gold Coast to Brisbane?” Koukash said.

“That would be a fantastic idea to move the Titans north. They are not going to get enough support on the Gold Coast, but having two Brisbane teams, you can be guaranteed that the two fixtures, a derby against the Broncos, will create a massive interest.

“I don’t care about the region, what I do care about is that it needs to be the right opportunity for me.

“One day I hope to be involved in the NRL and ideally, it would be nice to be involved this time next year.

“I will work very hard to make it happen. I will not give up. I will spend as much as a club is worth.

“The NRL is a great competition, I have a great passion for rugby league and I want to be a part of it.”

Yeah, I don't want him. I hate News Ltd. but this man has gone on the record, saying that he wants to RELOCATE us to Brisbane. No, not happening.

Here! Here!

I guess one good thing is that the NRL own the licence and they have to sell it to him. Previously he could have just waved huge amounts of money in front of Kelly, Searle, and Magazine and if they sold up it might have been harder to stop it. I doubt if Kelly would have sold but everyone has their price.
    I prefer a number of owners and a model where any one owner does not hold a majority share. Better still I prefer a model where the members might only have a 1% share but that preference share controls the team colours and where they play. I would relax that view if Darryl Kelly was a majority owner but not anyone else I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Hahahaha he will be "I have had enough" every week if he comes to us … he can root his boot backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Here! Here!
    I can see it now The Brisbane Boot Rootin Bandicoots
    #itaintweaktospeak