Thread: Marwan Koukash

Threaded View

KOUKASH MOVES STEP CLOSER TO OWNING NRL CLUB

Written by , March 18, 2015

ECCENTRIC Salford owner Marwan Koukash has moved a stepped closer to his goal of owning an NRL club after revealing he has specifically hired a team of advisors in Australia.

The 56-year-old has admitted he is in deep discussions with Salford consultant Tim Sheens on the intricacies of the NRL, and is reportedly in deep discussions with one club in particular believed to be the Gold Coast Titans.

“I have a team currently in Australia pursuing that on my behalf,” Koukash told Super League TV.

“I have spoken to Tim about the NRL and it hasn’t changed my mind, I still want to get involved.

“I had hoped by now I would be involved, but things will happen when they are meant to happen.

“I love the sport, I love the competition over there – I’m sorry but it is a superior competition to what we have over here – and I want to be part of it.”

The NRL are currently the major shareholders of the Titans but CEO Dave Smith admitted that this was just a temporary measure until an opportunity came along where the club could financially govern themselves.

Koukash, who is worth an estimated $3 billion, could certainly ensure the financial future of the club.

The Palestine-born billionaire made headlines last month when tweeted “I have had enough” following Salford’s embarrassing 52-6 home loss to St Helens.

“Look, I’m a human after all and I have feelings and emotions. That day nothing was going right for me or for the club,” he said.

“A result like that in the evening when we got hammered when we shouldn’t have – I said I’d had enough and I really meant it. I was ready to walk away from the sport and the club.

“But I reflected over it over the weekend and I have a commitment to the boys that I brought to the club.

“Everyone I signed I promised we would be competing, and I wasn’t going to leave a sinking ship.”

Source: rugbyleagueweek.com.au
    I hope he owns a shoe store, I don't want to see him run outta boots..
    Last edited by Toads; 18-03-15 at 11:14 PM.