Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Marwan Koukash

KOUKASH MOVES STEP CLOSER TO OWNING NRL CLUB

Written by , March 18, 2015

ECCENTRIC Salford owner Marwan Koukash has moved a stepped closer to his goal of owning an NRL club after revealing he has specifically hired a team of advisors in Australia.

The 56-year-old has admitted he is in deep discussions with Salford consultant Tim Sheens on the intricacies of the NRL, and is reportedly in deep discussions with one club in particular believed to be the Gold Coast Titans.

“I have a team currently in Australia pursuing that on my behalf,” Koukash told Super League TV.

“I have spoken to Tim about the NRL and it hasn’t changed my mind, I still want to get involved.

“I had hoped by now I would be involved, but things will happen when they are meant to happen.

“I love the sport, I love the competition over there – I’m sorry but it is a superior competition to what we have over here – and I want to be part of it.”

The NRL are currently the major shareholders of the Titans but CEO Dave Smith admitted that this was just a temporary measure until an opportunity came along where the club could financially govern themselves.

Koukash, who is worth an estimated $3 billion, could certainly ensure the financial future of the club.

The Palestine-born billionaire made headlines last month when tweeted “I have had enough” following Salford’s embarrassing 52-6 home loss to St Helens.

“Look, I’m a human after all and I have feelings and emotions. That day nothing was going right for me or for the club,” he said.

“A result like that in the evening when we got hammered when we shouldn’t have – I said I’d had enough and I really meant it. I was ready to walk away from the sport and the club.

“But I reflected over it over the weekend and I have a commitment to the boys that I brought to the club.

“Everyone I signed I promised we would be competing, and I wasn’t going to leave a sinking ship.”

Source: rugbyleagueweek.com.au
    I hope he owns a shoe store, I don't want to see him run outta boots..
    Last edited by Toads; 18-03-15 at 10:14 PM.

Did anyone see Koukash wants to move his family to Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by warriorsfan1 View Post
    Did anyone see Koukash wants to move his family to Australia?
    Yeah saw that. Apparently his family are "Excited " in moving over.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Cherry-Evans View Post
    Yeah saw that. Apparently his family are "Excited " in moving over.
    I'm sure the Qld heat would be too much for Marwan and family. Perth has a nice climate.

Sounds like anyone we know???

This is from the SMH.

Red alert

Salford owner Marwan Koukash has made plenty of headlines in Australia after going public with his ambition to own an NRL club, but he's about to become embroiled in less flattering publicity in the Old Dart. We've been reliably informed that Tony Puletua is planning to take the Reds to court over unpaid monies. The former premiership-winning Penrith forward will claim to be about £50,000 ($95,300) out of pocket. Word about Reds players not receiving their full entitlements will ring alarm bells in Australia as the NRL and its clubs consider whether to let the British billionaire buy his way into the local game.

Just saw this on Twitter. Do the NRL really want an owner like this??? I would hope not.

@drmarwanK: There are better things to do when you drunk , so **** twitter for now. Good might

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Just saw this on Twitter. Do the NRL really want an owner like this??? I would hope not.

@drmarwanK: There are better things to do when you drunk , so **** twitter for now. Good might
    NRL should avoid this guy like the plague.......Salford are slowly going under. He owes money to everyone........if you believe the media of course.

The Titans need a patient and steady hand with a clear eye on the vision and the region.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Salford Reds boss given more time to pay back £1.5m to council as town hall makes new loan to AJ Bell Stadium
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Salford mayor Ian Stewart has granted a fresh £857,000 loan to the AJ Bell Stadium - while granting rugby club owner Marwan Koukash a repayment holiday on the £1.5m debt Salford Reds owe the council.

Mr Stewart said interest from the latest stadium loan - the council’s third in two years - would be ploughed back into frontline council services.

But the Conservatives have warned that land around it must now be sold off to stop yet more town hall cash being ‘poured in’ to the venture.

Effectively both the loan and the club’s repayment holiday - which relates to historic debt taken on by Mr Koukash when he bought the Reds - are designed to protect the council’s previous investments by maintaining cashflow.

Mr Koukash has now been given a break of ‘a number of months’ on the club’s debt, it is understood.

It comes after he sparked a row in June by claiming publicly the town hall owed him £800,000 - which the council vehemently denied.

He declined to comment on the repayment agreement when contacted by the M.E.N.

Meanwhile, the latest loan to the stadium - a joint venture set up by the council and property investment company Peel Group in 2009 - lasts up to March next year. It means the council has now lent £1.8m to the venture since 2013, matched by Peel - but Mr Stewart said it was always part of the business plan.

“The stadium is a profitable enterprise,” he told the M.E.N. “If we put capital cash back into it, we can continue to get interest, as revenue, back. Essentially, it’s the council putting its own money back into the stadium.”

A council spokesman added that interest from previous loans was already benefiting the city.

But Tory leader Les Turner said land around the stadium must now be sold as soon as possible to stop even more council money being used to prop it up.

“We need that land sold to stop pouring money into the stadium so it can stand on its own two feet,” he said, adding that ultimately, the land should be sold to a business who will create jobs for people in Salford.

Some Labour backbenchers are said to be unhappy about the latest loan, fearing the council could simply end up lending more and more cash to protect its original investment.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Salford's Marwan Koukash compares Gary Hetherington to a prostitute in outrageous attack
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rugby-league/

MARWAN KOUKASH has ramped up his feud with Gary Hetherington by claiming asking him for advice would be like paying a hooker for a cuddle.

The two men have never seen eye-to-eye.

And Salford owner Koukash said of Leeds boss Hetherington: "I would never ask him for advice because it is like asking a prostitute for a hug. It will cost you and it would not be truthful."

Koukash - who plans to sign Sam Burgess as his marquee player in 2017 - makes his outrageous claim on Premier Sport's 'Rugby League Back Chat'.

And he's convinced Hetherington was behind a scathing attack from Rhinos coach Brian McDermott in July.

McDermott said he was embarrassed to be in a sport involving Koukash, claiming his bad leadership was to blame for Salford's 70-6 thrashing by Leeds.

Koukash says he's still hurt by McDermott's comments but said: "He had an agenda and I know what it is.

"I have always considered Brian to be a friend and at games he has complimented me on what I am trying to do and said 'well done'.

"To hear his comments was absolutely shocking. There is nothing that Brian can teach me that would improve my leadership skills."

Hetherington and Koukash have clashed regularly since the millionaire racehorse owner took over the Red Devils in 2013.

The Leeds chief executive warned Koukash he needed to "put his money where his mouth is" after forcing through a new marquee player ruling.

Koukash believes he will have the perfect answer to Hetherington's challenge by signing dual code superstar Sam Burgess.

He said: "Sam Burgess is playing at the World Cup and I am absolutely sure he is going to be a star name.

"Just imagine if in 12 months time he is going back to Super League because Super League made it possible with the marquee signing.

"It would be a huge victory for rugby league. In 2017 we are very confident that we will have a marquee signing and top of that list will be Sam Burgess."

Koukash insists he won't walk away from rugby league even if Salford get relegated this season.

He added: "We have got a three-year strategy from 2016. I want a solid foundation next year so we don't end up with the same kind of results we have had this year.

"In 2018 I want the club to be knocking on the door of the semi-finals - whether that's Super League or the Challenge Cup."

* The full interview will be shown on Premier Sports Rugby League Back Chat at 8pm on Wednesday.

The more this bloke gobs off the better.. Just hope the NRL are taking note of it.

Cheers for sharing, Diehard.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    The more this bloke gobs off the better.. Just hope the NRL are taking note of it.

Cheers for sharing, Diehard.
    Yep. What a merkin. I'm sure every time he opens his trap he gets one step further from owning anything in the NRL.

I've been a bit rough on Marwan in the past, but I'd like to say he is doing good by Salford in writing off their debt.

And we may see him soon involved in Bradford.

Check out this interview. Obviously a legit Rugby League man.