Default Gold Coast Titans play maker Aidan Sezer plans for career on the coast

TITANS five-eighth Aidan Sezer has denied he wants to quit the club to return to Sydney.

Sezer’s future has been a talking point recently with speculation the former Bulldog is homesick and in the sights of the Roosters.

The 23-year-old missed 12 weeks this season with a torn pectoral muscle but recently made his return in a new-look halves combination alongside Daniel Mortimer.

Sezer made his NRL debut for the Titans in 2012 and is contracted until the end of next season.

And the Indigenous All Stars representative, who bought a house at Palm Beach last year, said he had no intention of leaving the Titans.

“I don’t want to leave. Everything is changing for the good and I’m excited,” he said.

“You say you miss Sydney and people take it out of context. People say you want to leave.

“Everyone misses their home. Your family is there. But I’m not saying I want to leave.

“I love it up here. I want to be here for my whole career if I can.

“The job’s not done here. We haven’t made finals for a few years.

“I want to stay here and if I’m in Neil’s (Henry, new coach) plans I’ll be here for the rest of my career.”

Henry is in the box seat to be appointed head coach of the club following the recent resignation of John Cartwright.

The renowned tactician has been working closely with Sezer and Mortimer given they will be the Coast’s halves for the final three weeks of the season after Albert Kelly accepted a suspension from ASADA.

“I don’t want to piss in his (Henry) pocket but he’s going to be great for us,” Sezer said.

“His attention to detail and knowledge he has about the game … he’s going to get the best out of the boys.

“All the boys are looking forward to working with him. If we can listen to him and take on board what he’s trying to do we’re definitely going to improve.

“He’s been in the system all year. He’s always the first one to pull me aside and tell me where I can improve and he does that to all the boys.

“The more we can get that, the more we’re going to improve.

“It’ll hold us in good stead for the future if he gets the top job.”

Winger Kevin Gordon has again been overlooked for tomorrow’s clash against St George-Illawarra but David Mead is a chance to return.

Sezer said Henry was prepared to make the tough decisions and the playing group had noticed that.

“With King coming on board, we want to finish the season on a positive note and build on the change,” he said.

“This game is a results-driven business. We know as players we haven’t been stepping up to the plate and delivering the results in the past couple of years.

“King has taken a team to the finals before and knows what it entails.

“If he has to drop players that have been regulars then so be it. He’s going to do what’s best for the team.”

Mortimer will play his 100th NRL match tomorrow and said his combination with Sezer was improving.

“He takes a bit of pressure off me with the kicking duties,” he said.

“He really looks after his edge and gets the good shapes.

“We’re working well together but we’ll have to continue to improve in the next few weeks.”

TRAVIS MEYN THE COURIER-MAIL AUGUST 23, 2014 12:00AM
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 23-08-14 at 11:13 AM.

Great news. Hopefully he can continue to develop as a half under Neil Henry.

I found this comment interesting "“I don’t want to leave. Everything is changing for the good and I’m excited,” he said."

Good if he stays ans develops
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    I found this comment interesting "“I don’t want to leave. Everything is changing for the good and I’m excited,” he said."

Good if he stays ans develops
    Yes, makes you wonder what his answer would have been if JC hadn't quit????

Good to see his honesty. Sounds like hes very supportive of the coaching change

cartwright had lost the players ages ago ... it's now so obvious that the club didn't have the balls to deal with him earlier.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I have been pretty critical of Sezer but I have always put a rider on my comments about what a different coach might do with him. I am pleased he wants to commit to us and based on his comments, hopeful that he will really kick on under Henry.
    PS it's about time the Titans announced Henry as coach because all the articles and quotes you read are referring to next year under him.

I found a lot of the comments in the article interesting, most referring to the fact the players are realizing their positions are not safe anymore, and that already Henry is stamping his authority on the team. Also sounds like he is living up to his reputation as a tactician and coach, rather than a mate...
    I'm liking the sound of it so far.
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

I'm just glad that the Titans are getting some positive press. Rumours of players leaving being put to rest, rumours of big name signings in possibly (slim chance) Hunt and (hopefully) Hannant. I'm hoping it's a sign of good things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I'm just glad that the Titans are getting some positive press. Rumours of players leaving being put to rest, rumours of big name signings in possibly (slim chance) Hunt and (hopefully) Hannant. I'm hoping it's a sign of good things to come.
    Man, that would be amazing.

1. Mead
    6. Sezer
    7. Hunt
    9. Mortimer
    14. Kelly

Surely a guy like Wayne Bennett wouldn't dump off a talent like a Ben Hunt? If he does though, we'd be happy to have him..