Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default NRL help Gold Coast Titans pursue code jumper Karmichael Hunt PETER BADEL EXCLUSIVE

THE Titans have upped the ante in the battle for Karmichael Hunt with the NRL involved in a secret meeting to gauge the AFL convert’s interest in a return to rugby league.

The Courier-Mail can reveal NRL head-of-football Todd Greenberg held talks with Hunt’s management as the Titans explore ways to fund a big-money comeback.

But unless the NRL can formally agree to provide some salary-cap dispensation, the Titans face an ominous task trumping rugby’s Queensland Reds for the former Broncos star.

The Reds are privately confident they have secured Hunt and James O’Connor in a package deal.

It is understood the pair could be trumpeted as Queensland rugby’s new faces at the Reds’ Gala Ball tomorrow week.

But the Titans remain genuinely interested in Hunt, sounding out the NRL on the prospect of providing assistance to prise him from AFL rivals Gold Coast Suns.

At a chief executives conference in February, club bosses discussed the notion of NRL boss Dave Smith having the power to fund a big-name signing under a beefed-up Marquee Player Allowance.

The Titans’ interest escalated last month when Greenberg spoke with Hunt’s manager David Riolo, who said on Wednesday night his client remains a free agent for next season.

“Rugby league is still a realistic option for Karmichael,” Riolo said.

“He’s been in the game before, but whether it becomes real is a different thing.

“We’re hopefully not too far away from a decision. The Titans are a definite option, he lives on the Coast and enjoys it there, but there’s a number of things he’s weighing up.”

One factor, unquestionably, is money.

The NRL are likely to baulk at an ARU-style top-up, but could consider salary-cap concessions to ease financial pressure on the Titans.

Hunt earns upwards of $1 million a season at the Suns, a package NRL clubs are reluctant to finance given the 27-year-old’s five-year hiatus from the rugby league.

Incoming Broncos coach Wayne Bennett would support a play for Hunt but it is understood Brisbane hierarchy have cooled after nearing signing him in January.

Titans CEO Graham Annesley said Hunt remains on the club’s radar but would require help from the NRL to formally broker a deal.

“Any club that would be interested in Karmichael Hunt would require some help from the NRL to bring him back to rugby league,” he said.

“From what I understand is happy living on the Gold Coast, but it would take a concerted effort from our club and the game to bring him back.

“We haven’t got that far yet in negotiations.”

Wallabies legend Tim Horan says Hunt should not be Queensland’s No.1 recruitment target.

“I think he would be a good rugby player, but the Reds’ priority should be James O’Connor and then a big back-rower,” he said.

“Karmichael is a wonderful player but it a bit of a risk and I don’t think the QRU have time for too many risks.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227031049684

Well I guess I'll be the first, and probably only person to say it ... I won't be upset if Karmichael becomes a titan. He'd be more usefull to us than Darius.

Blowing the budget on him seems like a massive gamble though. I think he's got some good footy in him yet.

I'd love to see a Darius or Karmichael poll?

Junior

I guess he would replace Sezer at 5/8 if he leaves and we sign hunt

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    Well I guess I'll be the first, and probably only person to say it ... I won't be upset if Karmichael becomes a titan. He'd be more usefull to us than Darius.

Blowing the budget on him seems like a massive gamble though. I think he's got some good footy in him yet.

I'd love to see a Darius or Karmichael poll?
    you won't be the only one to want him. I loved the way Hunt played
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    you won't be the only one to want him. I loved the way Hunt played
    While I'm glad to have company on the K bandwagon Teke, your true allegiances are questionable in light of your recent indifference towards the Titans inevitable future success (and zilly's role within it!) What's happening champion? What's it going to take for you to switch your avatar back to something less ... shyte?!

And where would you like to see K play should he sign with the Titans. What would be his best position in league these days?

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    While I'm glad to have company on the K bandwagon Teke, your true allegiances are questionable in light of your recent indifference towards the Titans inevitable future success (and zilly's role within it!) What's happening champion? What's it going to take for you to switch your avatar back to something less ... shyte?!

And where would you like to see K play should he sign with the Titans. What would be his best position in league these days?
    I think he could play either 5/8 or fullback. He is not a lock as someone *cough* Cartwright *cough* suggested a while ago. Over the preseason he will have to bulk up though as I'm sure he would have lost a few kilos for AFL.

I wouldn't mind him here but don't spend all of our cap on him. You also got to question if he has a love for rugby league anymore. Seems like a money chaser with no heart for the game. Definitely would rather have B Hunt but who knows if we will get him or not.
    Last edited by Titan4Life; 21-08-14 at 06:27 AM.

once a khunt always a khunt ... no doubt he would play hard but is he critical to our needs? probably not.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

How much comes out of our salary cap and how much 'help' is coming from the NRL. Either way he would be a draw card and it's a positive article about the Titans which can only help attract sponsors etc. About as likely to happen as Boyd or DCE coming here though. The other worry is our other big name signings never turn out the way we want (Idris, Taylor).

My money is on the Reds nabbing Hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    My money is on the Reds nabbing Hunt.
    same here.

We're chasing a marquee player hard but I wouldn't back our chances of getting K and it looks like the Broncos are in line to receive Boyd.

We just don't have the coin to throw around.

Junior

Yeah reds have got him.

I would rather he go to union anyway! IMO all he would be good for is his publicity.

The PR in getting him would be good and the type of signing we may need to re-energise the Titans Brand. To me next year if we have Searle completely gone and the new investors needs to be marketed as a rebirth of the Brand and a personality like a K Hunt or similar is the injection that we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    The PR in getting him would be good and the type of signing we may need to re-energise the Titans Brand. To me next year if we have Searle completely gone and the new investors needs to be marketed as a rebirth of the Brand and a personality like a K Hunt or similar is the injection that we need.
    I don't want PR really - I would prefer the better player and for me that is Boyd. Khunt seems to be injury prone of late and too risky for what he would cost. I certainly agree with your other comments though about marketing the club afresh.

It doesn't look like we will get either Boyd or KHunt so we will either see Zilly or Mead at FB. My personal preference is:

1. Boyd
    2. Mead
    3. K Hunt

Not about to turn the love on for Hunt but if there's a choice between the Sook & the turn coat I'll take the Kiwi-Queenslander , he will bring people through the gates where as the other will keep Qld Health guessing..
    #itaintweaktospeak