Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Just a little sarcasm in there me thinks BT..
    Maybe a little
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Stand-in Titans coach Neil Henry sees a return to the forwards for Dave Taylor

TOUGH love for unfulfilled prodigies Dave Taylor and Albert Kelly and a fullback shootout are central to Neil Henry’s blueprint to restore the Gold Coast as NRL title contenders.

Former North Queensland and Canberra coach Henry slipped into the caretaker’s role yesterday following the departure of Titans foundation coach John Cartwright.

His first day in the job was soured by news that the bulging disc in Taylor’s neck could force the Queensland forward out for the club’s four remaining matches.

And Henry has not yet been guaranteed he is the man to succeed Cartwright as head coach next season.

After serving as Cartwright’s assistant for 22 rounds, however, Henry has a clear plan to salvage what remains of this campaign and return the team to the finals after four fruitless winters.

Should Henry be promoted, a fit-again Taylor is set to return to the pack despite his recent rescue mission in the centres.

While his size, speed and offloading ability make him a point of difference in the backs, Taylor’s best football lies ahead and Henry’s instinct tells him that is in the forwards.

“The jury’s still out as to what’s his best position,” Henry said.

“He’s proven something we already know and that’s that he’s a versatile and athletically gifted player for a big man. My gut feeling is that he’s a backrower and that’s where he needs to be.”

Taylor scored a try and made one line break off the bench in the Titans’ Monday night loss to the Roosters but Henry wants more involvement from the central Queensland product when he returns to full fitness.

“He needs (to be able to) play long minutes,” the interim coach said. “He’s done that, but not consistently.”

Neither Taylor, nor any of the team’s potential game breakers have enjoyed a stable halves partnership this season.

Five-eighth Aidan Sezer successfully returned from a chest injury against the Roosters and should be even sharper at home on Sunday against Manly.

Halfback Albert Kelly continues to struggle with lower leg problems and has lost his No.7 jumper to ex-Rooster Daniel Mortimer.

Kelly’s lack of condition means he faces a battle with Mortimer to win back his starting spot.

Henry is reluctant to make heavy changes to the side and will in the short term stick with the reliable Will Zillman at fullback.

Winger David Mead wants more exposure as a custodian and will be given every opportunity to develop in the key role.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227022362157

Give both Zilly and Meady chances over the preseason to prove who is the better option. Really hoping Henry picks on form not loyalty next year. Make everyone in every position prove that they deserve to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Give both Zilly and Meady chances over the preseason to prove who is the better option. Really hoping Henry picks on form not loyalty next year. Make everyone in every position prove that they deserve to be there.
    I agree T4L. I also like the fact that Henry already seems to be his own man. Obviously out of respect for Carty he is careful with his words but his comments re Taylor saying that his gut reaction is that he is a "backrower and that's where he needs to be" is the type of stuff I want to hear. Whether you think Taylor's best position is centre or the forwards, I am just pleased that Henry already is expressing views different to what has been happening and is going to change things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I agree T4L. I also like the fact that Henry already seems to be his own man. Obviously out of respect for Carty he is careful with his words but his comments re Taylor saying that his gut reaction is that he is a "backrower and that's where he needs to be" is the type of stuff I want to hear. Whether you think Taylor's best position is centre or the forwards, I am just pleased that Henry already is expressing views different to what has been happening and is going to change things.
    Yeah I am also happy that he admits our ball handling was not good enough instead of just saying 'luck wasn't on our side' or '.... was the difference tonight.' We need a coach that leads and tells our players what they are doing wrong instead of taking the easy option and saying 'the other team was too good.'

Yep and in a few interviews he has said he wants the coaching job next year and hes excited to change the side and the playing style to suit him more, he also said he wont make any major changes this season i cant wait for next year

Gold Coast Titans ‘good, not great’ in caretaker coach Neil Henry’s first game at the helm

IT was nearly the perfect audition.

Caretaker coach Neil Henry couldn’t have asked for much more in his first game in charge of the Gold Coast Titans.

They lost 15-12 to Manly, a team many believe will win the 2014 premiership, but the performance was close to what Henry would have dreamt of as he strives to stitch up the vacant head coaching gig for next season.

The Titans never gave up in front of 11,940 at Cbus Super Stadium but ultimately slumped to their eight consecutive loss at home.

It was one of the better performances in what has been a horror three months.

Foundation coach John Cartwright fell on his sword as the club faced a fourth straight season without a finals appearance, leaving Henry to salvage something from the last four games.

The 53-year-old made some minor adjustments and while a left-footed Daly Cherry-Evans drop goal sealed their 11th loss from the past 13 games, there was plenty to like about the Titans.

But that wasn’t enough for Henry.

He wielded the selection axe before the game, omitting the underperforming Kevin Gordon, and afterwards said he wasn’t satisfied with just a good effort.

“You can be satisfied with that effort aspect of the game but our execution with the ball wasn’t good enough to nail some points,” Henry said.

“You’re never satisfied with a loss. We’re not sitting in there happy about that.

“We tinkered a bit with our attack and we looked okay at times.

“You need to be on your game 100 per cent against sides that can attack.

“We needed to be a bit better.”

It was an uncharacteristically good start compared to recent times by the Titans, who didn’t make an error in the opening 11 minutes.

They tackled and scrambled and were unlucky to be scored against in the 33rd minute when Kieran Foran was clearly offside chasing a Cherry-Evans kick.

A poor missed tackle from Brad Takairangi on Jamie Lyon was saved by the video referee before the sensational James Roberts chimed in with his personal brilliance to level scores at half-time.

Manly couldn’t pierce the Gold Coast’s defence until Foran brushed aside Daniel Mortimer midway through the second half to break the deadlock and a late try to Kalifa Faifai Loa ensured an exciting finish.

But it was the same story which has plagued the Gold Coast for most of 2014 - close, but no cigar.

They head to Wollongong on Sunday to face St George-Illawarra and co-captain Nate Myles said he’d seen some positive signs since Henry took control.

“The players responded really well,” he said.

“Our training sessions were really sharp and positive. Our footy and attitude was a lot better.

“Our training was a lot better and that’s something we need to improve.

“We’ve got to want to be in the 17.

“I don’t think enough of our players are holding that with both hands and really relishing the opportunity to play first grade.

“It was a step in the right direction.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Gold Coast Titans ‘good, not great’ in caretaker coach Neil Henry’s first game at the helm

IT was nearly the perfect audition.

Caretaker coach Neil Henry couldn’t have asked for much more in his first game in charge of the Gold Coast Titans.

They lost 15-12 to Manly, a team many believe will win the 2014 premiership, but the performance was close to what Henry would have dreamt of as he strives to stitch up the vacant head coaching gig for next season.

The Titans never gave up in front of 11,940 at Cbus Super Stadium but ultimately slumped to their eight consecutive loss at home.

It was one of the better performances in what has been a horror three months.

Foundation coach John Cartwright fell on his sword as the club faced a fourth straight season without a finals appearance, leaving Henry to salvage something from the last four games.

The 53-year-old made some minor adjustments and while a left-footed Daly Cherry-Evans drop goal sealed their 11th loss from the past 13 games, there was plenty to like about the Titans.

But that wasn’t enough for Henry.

He wielded the selection axe before the game, omitting the underperforming Kevin Gordon, and afterwards said he wasn’t satisfied with just a good effort.

“You can be satisfied with that effort aspect of the game but our execution with the ball wasn’t good enough to nail some points,” Henry said.

“You’re never satisfied with a loss. We’re not sitting in there happy about that.

“We tinkered a bit with our attack and we looked okay at times.

“You need to be on your game 100 per cent against sides that can attack.

“We needed to be a bit better.”

It was an uncharacteristically good start compared to recent times by the Titans, who didn’t make an error in the opening 11 minutes.

They tackled and scrambled and were unlucky to be scored against in the 33rd minute when Kieran Foran was clearly offside chasing a Cherry-Evans kick.

A poor missed tackle from Brad Takairangi on Jamie Lyon was saved by the video referee before the sensational James Roberts chimed in with his personal brilliance to level scores at half-time.

Manly couldn’t pierce the Gold Coast’s defence until Foran brushed aside Daniel Mortimer midway through the second half to break the deadlock and a late try to Kalifa Faifai Loa ensured an exciting finish.

But it was the same story which has plagued the Gold Coast for most of 2014 - close, but no cigar.

They head to Wollongong on Sunday to face St George-Illawarra and co-captain Nate Myles said he’d seen some positive signs since Henry took control.

“The players responded really well,” he said.

“Our training sessions were really sharp and positive. Our footy and attitude was a lot better.

“Our training was a lot better and that’s something we need to improve.

“We’ve got to want to be in the 17.

“I don’t think enough of our players are holding that with both hands and really relishing the opportunity to play first grade.

“It was a step in the right direction.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/
    Surely Myles isn't saying this. He is one of the players who don't put in 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Surely Myles isn't saying this. He is one of the players who don't put in 100%.
    That is ironic. He can't blame others when he has been disappointing himself.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Neil Henry favourite for coaching role but Gold Coast Titans keep options open

NEIL Henry’s rivals for the Titans coaching job will be presented to the club’s board on Wednesday but the “full review” into is operations is taking longer than expected.

The Gold Coast’s three-person board will meet on Wednesday morning to outline a process to appoint a successor to foundation coach John Cartwright, whose eight-year tenure ended last week.

Henry is the leading candidate but the Titans have received expressions of interest from other coaches with NRL experience.

The board — which now consists of Rebecca Frizelle, Paul Donovan and Darryl Kelly following the resignation of Michael Searle — must decide on how they will go about finding Cartwright’s replacement.

One of the major issues they must address is time.

With just three rounds remaining in the season-proper, the incoming coach will want plenty of time to get cracking on plans for the 2015 season.

Henry has been at the club since October last year, when he signed on as an assistant to Cartwright after being punted by North Queensland, and has a clear view of how he wants to break a four-year finals exile.

The 53-year-old would prefer a three of four-year contract and Titans CEO Graham Annesley said the board would cast its eye over a number of applicants.

“There’s a number of people who have contacted us putting their hand up,” he said.

“The board will have a look at the expressions of interest we’ve received and determine how we’ll proceed going forward.”

Sports administration academic Dr Dave Arthur commenced his independent review into the club on July 25 and was hoping to present a report at Wednesday’s meeting.

But he has been given more to complete the full report and will instead present interim findings.

Annesley said the review was unlikely to affect the coaching appointment process.

“He was always trying to get to a point where he could at least give the board some initial information (on Wednesday),” Annesley said.

“He’s going to attend the board meeting and give a bit of a presentation on his findings so far.

“He’s still got a couple more weeks’ to go to finish it all off.

“Had there not been a change in coach then that may have been part of the outcome.

“I expect it to focus more on our administrative structure and where there might be opportunities for us to improve the business side of the business rather than football.

“There will be some stuff about football but it won’t be as focused on that as it would have been otherwise.”

Henry, who coached the Titans for the first time in Sunday’s 15-12 loss to Manly, said the Gold Coast was a nursery for league talent.

“The board are going through a process. Whether or not they interview coaches or shortlist, I’m not sure,” he said.

“You’d like to do a job and have a crack at the head coaching job.

“The club is looking at a whole range of things with this review process that’s about ensuring the Titans will be around and financially viable moving forward.

“The NRL are backing a team to be on the coast. We also need to get our own backyard in order.

“Hopefully I’m a part of that.

“I’d like the challenge. I think it’s a great nursery here for rugby league and we need to have a successful team here.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl

3 years with a 4th year option in the Titans favour...and must have KPI's

Absolutely no contract unless KPI's are introduced.

.......anyone got any idea on KPI examples?

1/ Top 8=2015 and Top 4=2016... (I prefer Top 4=2015 but maybe I am a bit harsh)
    2/ To score more than 40 points in at least 1 match per season...
    3/ To offer Shamus a corporate box for at least 3 home games per season (now there is a good promotion for a another thread)

I expect top 8 in 2015 but I don't agree with your KPI for 2016, shamus. I don't expect us to be in the top 4 in the next 2 years. It will take a lot of time and building to be competitive with Manly, Melbourne, Sydney and South Sydney. They have built a winning team culture and have kept the same time (relatively) for years. If we can keep the same team and build a winning culture, we have a chance of top 4. Until then we can hope for top 6 at least. So my KPI's are:

1. Top 8 in 2015
    2. Top 6 in 2016
    3. Improve our attack and make it exciting again (score more than 16 points per game in most games)
    4. Get serious with recruitment and junior development (let juniors have a go if our seniors aren't performing)
    5. Pick on form not loyalty (kinda links in with 4)
    Last edited by Titan4Life; 20-08-14 at 10:48 AM.

I wonder who the other coaches are that have expressed interest in the role?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    I wonder who the other coaches are that have expressed interest in the role?
    I assume one lives about 80kms north.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I assume one lives about 80kms north.
    Yep. Both Hook and Furner will be in the mix I'm sure. Wouldn't be surprised if Jason Taylor had a dig as well.

Wouldn't mind a Henry/Hook combo. Mainly just because it sounds cool. Alliteration at its finest.

Kevvie Walters might be in there too but its looking like he will assist Bennett at Brisbane