Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Neil Henry - Titans Coach

New coach, new thread.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Departing Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright believes deputy Neil Hendry should be new coach

DEPARTING Titans coach John Cartwright has endorsed Neil Henry as his long-term successor.

Henry will be installed as interim coach for the remainder of the season following tonight’s game against the Roosters when Cartwright leads the Gold Coast for the final time.

But Cartwright believes the *former North Queensland and *Canberra mentor is the perfect *candidate to lead the club forward, saying his experience is key to *helping the club regain a position as a title contender.

“He’s been a great help for me this year and he’s been around, he knows the highs and lows of footy,’’ Cartwright said.

“There’s one thing I do know, it’s really tough to come in without a lot of experience.

“And I think the 12 months he’s had here helps him to see what the landscape of the club is. It’s a very hands-on role here, probably more so than a lot of other clubs … we’re probably behind a little bit compared with a lot of other clubs.

“But you know that it is what it is, it can’t be fixed in one fell swoop, it’s going to take time for the club to get back on its feet and reinvest in the football team itself. So you’ve got to have an understanding of that going into the job, there’s no wish list, you’ve just got to find what works for you and run with that.’’

While his knowledge of the club is one bonus, Cartwright said Henry’s experience in having led the Cowboys and Raiders to the *finals during his tenure showed he had the skills to lead the Titans back into the eight.

“There’s no doubt Neil can (do that),” he said. “He’s got sides in semifinals with the Cowboys, he’s done it here, he did it with Canberra. To make that final step, so much has got to fall into your lap, you’ve got to get a lot of luck and it’ll be the same next year.

“We need to stay injury-free, we need to stay healthy, it’d be nice to have a year with no controversy.

“The board and the club are trying everything they possibly can.’’

Cartwright will see out the final two years of his contract but will fill a non-football role – and stay out of Henry’s way.

“That would go without saying,’’ Cartwright said.

“It’s only fair that I step back and let him or whoever is going to take over, set things in place for them to move forward.’’

Henry has won the trust of the players, with senior members including co-captain Nate Myles and foundation forward Luke Bailey singing his praises.

“He doesn’t hold back. He lets you know if you’re doing something wrong,’’ Bailey said.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

The king is dead. Long live the king!

IMO it doesn't really matter at the minute who coaches the Titans going forward it could be Bellamy or Bennent. But unless there is an injection of funding to employ extra staff around the coach it really won't make a difference who the coach is. It's been reported an John Cartwright has said that other clubs have extra staff to assist the footy team and those clubs have success. I would suggest that the Tians coaching staff that we have now have not been paid market value for many years due to the Titans Financial position. Just at a quick guess the football department would need an additional $300k per year to fund 2-3 extra staff in the hope that it makes us competitive.
    Last edited by Bayside Titan; 12-08-14 at 09:06 AM.

#SACKHENRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

i would be trawling the Queensland universities for the best up and coming sports scientists .... give them opportunities they wouldn't get elsewhere because that's what we need .... innovation and energy. stats and the peripherals are a younger person's field.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    #SACKHENRY
    You are bad man, very bad man.

Henry confirms: I want Titans job

He's only hours into the role and has a game to prepare for against the competition leaders on Sunday but interim Titans coach Neil Henry has expressed his desire to become just the second coach in the club's eight-year history.

Henry took the reins from foundation coach John Cartwright at the conclusion of Monday night's 26-18 loss to the Roosters in Sydney and will oversee the closing four weeks of the regular season in an interim capacity, a role he hopes to assume full-time from 2015.

Dally M Coach of the Year with the Raiders in 2008, Henry was appointed as head coach of the Cowboys in 2009 but was dumped six games before the end of the season last year despite taking North Queensland to the finals and after a season as Cartwright's assistant on the Gold Coast says he is ready to step up to the top job.

"I aspire to be a head coach, I've said that all along, and I'd like to stay on the Coast so we'll just wait and see what the board decide," said Henry, who had also been linked with the vacant coaching position at St George Illawarra.

"We've just talked about the interim coaching position and I said I was more than happy to do that. I expect I'll sit down with the board sometime this week, towards the end of the week, and have a bit of a discussion about my future.

"I don't know if there are other jobs floating around, that's for other people to make those decisions, but I certainly like being on the Coast, I've had a year with the team so I'm a bit more familiar and I'd like to be a part of the future of the club.

"I'd be excited and it would be a great challenge to take on the role."

With little time to prepare for the Sea Eagles, Henry doesn't expect to make any significant changes to the 17 that will take the field or to alter their playing style and suggested that over the next month he will continue to lean on Cartwright for advice.

"It's the nature of the beast. Every year there seems to be three or four coaches [who lose their jobs]. It is a bit of a merry-go-round really and it's unfortunate but it's just the way it is in a results-driven business," Henry said.

"The fact is every year, eight teams don't make the eight so you've got teams under pressure straight away and expectations are high at every club. It's been a difficult period of time, Carty's the foundation coach and he's got a very strong connection to this area and he wants to maintain that as well.

"He won't be lost to the club in the interim and certainly I'll be looking to use him even in the last four games. He's going to have a bit of a break now but he'll be around the place.

"It's a bitter-sweet way to get a job. I feel for 'Carty', I've been in that position before and he's left a tremendous legacy at the club and he's handled it really well and he's a mate of mine.

"It's sad but we move on and we have to try and get some results at the end of the season."

Monday night's loss rules the Titans out of finals contention for the fourth consecutive season and leaves them with only pride and the support of their fans to play for over the closing month of the season.

Only the Sharks have a worse record at home in season 2014 than the Titans' 2-8 and with games against the Sea Eagles and Bulldogs at Cbus Super Stadium in the next four weeks, Henry says the response of the players will provide an indicator as to their commitment to turn their fortunes around.

"It will be a real test of character for the team moving forward given who we have to play, starting with Manly and the Warriors away, Dragons away and finishing with the Bulldogs for our last game of the year," said Henry, who has an overall winning percentage of 46.2 per cent from 173 NRL games in charge. "Some quality teams and we need to try and get some results.

"My attitude is that they're paid to play football as professional footballers and I'm paid to coach. I think you should be able to take some of that emotion out of it and get on with the job and at times this year we've been able to do it but not consistently enough."

http://www.nrl.com/

"it will be a real indicator to their commitment" ... exactly.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Mixed emotions for Henry as he takes over as Titans head coach

NEIL Henry walked into his new office yesterday with mixed *emotions.

The former Raiders and Cowboys coach was last week appointed to take the reins at the Gold Coast Titans following John Cartwright’s decision to step down after eight years in the role.

Having joined Cartwright’s staff after he was axed by North Queensland, Henry admitted it was difficult to get excited about his most recent appointment.

“Obviously it’s an honour to be appointed head coach of any club, but certainly this isn’t the ideal scenario to be coming into,” Henry told The Australian.

“People underestimate the amount of emotion involved in modern-day coaching. They see a lot of us speaking about processes and removing the emotion from the game but the fact is, as a head coach of 30-odd young men, you spend as much time with them as you do with your family.

“You invest in their lives and it is incredibly tough to walk away from the commitment you make those young men and the commitment they make to you.

“Last week was really tough for everyone at the club and while I am humbled to get the chance to be a head coach of the Gold Coast, it is a difficult situation because I am taking over from a bloke I *respect enormously.

“I have worked alongside John for almost a year now — I consider him a friend and one of the finest rugby league men I have ever met.

“I say I respect, but John is a man who is universally respected for what he did as a player, as an *assistant coach and, of course, as a head coach here at the Titans.

“I need to say he has made this as easy as possible for me and the players — which is another sign of the man. And the fact is, while it is hard to feel real good in myself about how this had come about, we still have a really important job to do over the next four weeks.”

The task of finishing the year on a positive note appears likely to be all the more difficult with news that barnstorming backrower David Taylor may be sidelined for the rest of the year because of a bulging disc in his neck.

The Queensland State of Origin representative defied medical advice to play in Monday night’s 26-18 loss to the Sydney Roosters, Cartwright’s last game in charge of the club. With the defeat to the Roosters all but ending any hopes of the Titans making the finals, there’s a chance the 26-year-old could sit out the club’s final four fixtures.

Despite being out of the race, Henry said it was vital the Titans used their remaining two matches at home to give their fans “some hope”. “Our record at home hasn’t been good enough and we have the Sea Eagles and Bulldogs, so it won’t be a walk in a park, but we need to put in a couple of good performances on our home patch as much for our fans as ourselves.

“It’s been a year of near-misses — we have been in almost every match we have played. If we were able to jag two or three wins from those, then I’m not here today having this conversation ... that is how tight this competition is.

“So I guess one of the big challenges we face is learning to find ways to get those results falling our way on a more regular basis, and we won’t get a better chance to a statement about the direction we are heading than we will with the matches we have over the next month against quality opposition.”

Having met briefly with chief executive Graham Annesley last week, Henry is expected to meet with the board this week and to be confirmed as the full-time coach for 2015 and beyond as early as next week.

“Neil’s been there for 12 months — he understands the landscape, understands where the club sits,” Cartwright said. “I certainly *endorse him.

“He’s certainly been very good for me and good for the players. It hasn’t shown in our results but to be there for 12 months is a big *advantage.

“He understands the club and what our limitations are, and what you have to work within.

“The time he’s done here will certainly have him in good stead for that.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl

Gold Coast Titans caretaker coach Neil Henry demands strong finish to season from his team

GOLD Coast Titans caretaker coach Neil Henry will demand his players rise to a challenge just as important as the finals berth that has now slipped from their grasp.

The former North Queensland and Canberra tactician has begun the task of salvaging what he can from this NRL season in the wake of John Cartwright’s departure as head coach.

Gold Coast has missed the finals for a fourth consecutive year but there is still a month left, starting with Sunday’s clash with Manly at CBUS Super Stadium, to prove the Titans are a team worth following.

“There’s four opportunities left to play teams who could be in the finals,” Henry said.

“Two of those games are at home so it’s important to play well for our supporters.

“This will be a test of character for the current squad, most of whom will be here again next year, to get some results.”

Henry has not been promised a promotion to the head coaching position beyond this season but is the clear frontrunner.

Neil Henry has high expectations for a strong finish to the season from the Titans. Pic: Scott Fletcher
    He is almost certain to be without Dave Taylor (neck) against Manly, while winger David Mead (hamstring) is not ready to return.

Five-eighth Aidan Sezer, however, impressed in his return from a chest injury against the Roosters on Monday night and should pose problems for the Sea Eagles.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

#SACKHENRY
    LOL

#SACKHENRY
    You disappoint me Coaster. Thought that you would be a happy boy now with all the changes that have happened??

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    You disappoint me Coaster. Thought that you would be a happy boy now with all the changes that have happened??
    Just a little sarcasm in there me thinks BT..

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    Not really sure anything has changed has it?
    Searle still has his majority shares. And John is still collecting 300k a year for doing SFA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.