Default Jed Cartwright Signs with the Titans

From Couriermail.com.au
    EMMA GREENWOOD THE COURIER-MAIL AUGUST 11, 2014 12:00AM

Cartwright name lives on at Robina with John’s son Jed signing deal with Gold Coast

THE Cartwright name is set to be a fixture at the Titans for the foreseeable future, with Jed Cartwright, son of outgoing head coach John, signing a two-year contract with the club.

The 17-year-old was being courted by several clubs, including the Rabbitohs and his father’s old stomping ground Penrith, where cousin Bryce made his first-grade debut earlier this year.

But the stay-at-home factor weighed heavily in the Titans’ favour, with Jed deciding to remain on the Coast and chase his dreams of an NRL career with the Titans.

Jed agreed to the deal before last week’s dramas at the Titans — which included the resignation of father John from the head coaching position.

He conceded it was disappointing but said it had not led to him reconsidering his decision.

“It’s the first offers I’ve ever got from clubs, so it was very exciting, especially being asked by the Titans — I’ve always wanted to be signed there, especially because Dad was there,’’ Jed said.

"Now that he’s not going to be there it’s a little bit upsetting but it’s not going to make a difference, I wouldn’t have had much to do with him anyway. He would have been with the first grade team.

“(There have) not really (been second thoughts). I’m just excited to be signed by the club, there’s no hard feelings or anything, I don’t think with him at the club.’’

John, who will see out the final two years of his contract with the Titans in a non-football role, said the turmoil of the past week had no impact on Jed’s decision.

“It was all about where his best opportunity was to extend his footy career and when he weighed everything up, he decided it was here,’’ John said.

He said it had been a good signing by the club, with plenty of interest shown in the Palm Beach Currumbin High School teen.

“The club did well because he had a lot of interest from a couple of other clubs but I’ve been preaching since I’ve been here, the benefits of keeping kids at home and giving them a stable environment at home,’’ John said.

“He had a huge opportunity to go but he decided here was where he wanted to be.’’

Jed, a rangy second-rower who is also at home in the centres or halves, knows he has plenty of work to do if he is to forge a first-grade career.

But he wants to be able to do it on the Coast and keep the Cartwright name at the Titans.

“(Playing NRL for the Titans) is what I’ve always wanted to do since I was as kid,’’ he said.

“I know I’ve got a long, long way to go but it’s exciting just to get this first step.

“It does (continue the Cartwright association with the club). Hopefully for a fair while it stays there.’’

Nothing towards Jed whatsoever..

But this does very little to instill confidence into already the skeptical supporters. Given a few weeks might've been a little easier to digest. Also, with the ongoing internal review you'd think they'd hold off from signing any players from all divisions within the Club until the review has been wrapped up. Especially when there's possibly been a salary cap breach.

Wake me up when the new era at the Club begins please..
    Last edited by Toads; 11-08-14 at 09:28 AM.

agree that the timing was way off and sends a poor message in many respects but i feel that as a local junior he should have been signed. he's not his father just a young bloke with a dream who will cop plenty for sure.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

You can really see the family resemblance between him and TP

He's a local kid. Hope he goes well.

Maybe it was part of the deal with Carty leaving the club ?
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

We are often critical of the club not signing local juniors he is a local junior who by all reports has earnt the chance. I doubt that other clubs would chase him if he didn't have talent. IMO the timing of the signing could be seen as poor but I'm not real fussed. As long as he is picked on form and deserves his spot in the 20's.

I also would like to see more articles published by the Bully about the local juniors we sign going forward.

Jed showed a lot of promise but his massive growth spurt has probably brought back to the pack a lot , he will learn a lot under Woolfy in the 20's squad
    #itaintweaktospeak

Good that we signed a local junior. Hopefully he gets a shot at the 20s. Welcome aboard Jet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mup23 View Post
    You can really see the family resemblance between him and TP
    He actually looks really similar to TP. The resemblance is scary! Hopefully he can play better though.

Timing is not good, probably worst if his dad was still coach.

But he is a local junior and his own man. So best of luck to him.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Immortal

good to see a local junior signed, nothing can be wrong with that. All the best Jed