Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

The thing about this type of dialogue is how far we go before the club needs to be involved. I am not against the club's involvement in anyway but I counsel that plans need to be drawn-up and presented in such a way that the essence of such ideas are not altered too much. Remember we are dealing with a commercial enterprise, and a somewhat bruised one at that.

The NRL are an unknown quantity from our point of view too as they are, to all intensive purposes, "the club" but are not the on-the-ground presence ... and that needs to be considered. An approach to the NRL goes through Annesley or a direct approach to the NRL? That in itself is worthy of debate. I vote for the latter option, for what its worth
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The thing about this type of dialogue is how far we go before the club needs to be involved. I am not against the club's involvement in anyway but I counsel that plans need to be drawn-up and presented in such a way that the essence of such ideas are not altered too much. Remember we are dealing with a commercial enterprise, and a somewhat bruised one at that.

The NRL are an unknown quantity from our point of view too as they are, to all intensive purposes, "the club" but are not the on-the-ground presence ... and that needs to be considered. An approach to the NRL goes through Annesley or a direct approach to the NRL? That in itself is worthy of debate. I vote for the latter option, for what its worth
    A very valid point and one that MT and I have discussed. All plans and proposals will go to the NRL but before that it will be put to the board and Annersley because without there support we won't get to far. I will also be making the plans available to all Titans members before it goes to the NRL so they get a chance to have there say as well. For this part we will need the club involved.
    Last edited by TitansFan92; 20-03-15 at 08:08 PM.

Fair enough and keeping it public will prevent the club from hijacking it which is another potential danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    A little off topic (kinda), But what happens with the funds they raise from selling the first try-scorer tickets at the home games?

That might be something that could go to better use than what it already does.
    Could be wrong but the Lions Club run the try scorer doubles and I assume all profits stay with the Lions Club. I think that's a good cause and would be happy if that arrangement is unchanged.

Ahh good stuff. Glad to hear it goes to a legit cause. I've been a bit dubious for some time because the hard sell approach they come at you with (outside the Stadium) 'n the past management. If wasn't going to a good cause, it would've been good to see it rectified while this is going on.

Gold Coast Titans Potentially To Change Name
    Posted: 21 March, 2015 by Triple M NRL

There are more possible changes on the Gold Coast as James Hooper foresees a possible name change on the horizon.

The Titans are situated in the Gold Coast which is Australia's sixth biggest city and the Telegraph journalist said “I wouldn’t be surprised if later this season we actually see a name change for the Gold Coast Titans.'

After all the recent drama on the Gold Coast a new start may be what they need and the acquisition of Daly Cherry-Evans will certainly help as Hoops called him 'the best signing they have ever made.'
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Billionaire Marwan Koukash’s plan to buy the Gold Coast Titans and play in Las Vegas
    EXCLUSIVE PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL MARCH 21, 2015 11:00PM

ENGLISH billionaire Marwan Koukash is ready to buy the Titans as the Salford City saviour ramps up plans to achieve his dream of owning a club in the NRL.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Koukash has hired a consortium of Australian-based business colleagues to perform due diligence on taking a majority stake in the Titans.

Two NRL-controlled clubs will square off at Cbus Super Stadium when the Titans host the Knights, who were rescued by the governing body following Nathan Tinkler’s ownership crisis last season.

The NRL is determined to stabilise the Titans before considering private investment, but for the first time Koukash has confirmed he is waiting in the wings to buy the Coast’s licence

The 56-year-old is one of the UK’s great self-made success stories, an eccentric Palestinian refugee who is one of world sport’s richest men with an estimated wealth of $3 billion.

Speaking from the UK, where he is currently hosting Australian coach Tim Sheens, a consultant to Salford City, Koukash outlined his plan to bankroll a Titans revival.

As part of his investment proposal, Koukash would make the Titans a cutting-edge club, staging matches in Dubai and Las Vegas to give the Coast a global footprint.

“You can say I have stepped things up — I have decided investing in an NRL club such as the Titans is the right way,” he said.

“We’ll see what develops over the next few months, but I have asked some people in Australia to look into for me.

“I won’t say how much money I am prepared to spend, I will disclose that to the NRL.

“But I am serious and this opportunity (to buy the Titans) works for me because I would only ever look at a club if I had the majority share.

“If the NRL and the Titans are looking for a majority shareholder, that will suit me just fine.”

Koukash, the biggest owner of racehorses in Britain, held talks last year with property tycoon Phil Murphy about buying out his 22 per cent shareholding in the Broncos.

The pair had dialogue for three months, but Koukash’s interest dwindled when it became apparent the Broncos’ majority owner, News Limited, publisher of The Sunday Mail, would not sell its 68pc share.

Now Koukash has his heart set on the Titans. Ideally, he will purchase the club within 12 months and says the NRL’s decision to reclaim the Titans’ licence last month has given him certainty over the Coast’s future.

Koukash previously called for the Titans to be moved to Brisbane, but says he would keep the club on the Coast while making strategic decisions about the location of nominated home games.

“The NRL taking over has given me more confidence in the Titans,” he said. “I would love to be involved in the NRL, I am desperate to be involved in it, but I need to be as right for the club as the club needs to be right for me.

“I can appreciate the NRL wants to fix the Titans, but once they are ready to hand over the licence, I will express my interest in buying them.

“The NRL’s strategy is to keep the Titans on the Gold Coast, which is fine. I would play the majority of games on the Gold Coast but take a couple of games on the road to help the club financially.

“The stadium deal (at Robina) is expensive and that would need to be looked at.

“We could play the Warriors, for example, in New Zealand and I would consider playing either an exhibition or premiership game in places like Dubai and Las Vegas.

“The Titans need to grow their brand and rugby league needs exposure outside current geographical areas.

“I am genuinely in buying a majority share and if the NRL wants to talk, I will talk to them.”

Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly, who pumped $5 million into the former entity, is currently in talks with the NRL, but has no interest in a majority share. He welcomed additional investment.

“I hope there are some other investors out there,” Kelly said.

“I’m in talks with the NRL and I have a figure in mind. We still have some work to do, hopefully someone else will come on board eventually.”

An NRL spokesman indicated the governing body would not stand in the way of Koukash when they are ready to offload the Titans licence.

“The NRL’s first priority is to stabilise the Titans and rebuild the club so it has a secure financial future,” he said.

“At an appropriate time, the NRL will welcome approaches from private investors interested in taking over the running of the club.”

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post
    Billionaire Marwan Koukash’s plan to buy the Gold Coast Titans and play in Las Vegas

“I would love to be involved in the NRL, I am desperate to be involved in it, but I need to be as right for the club as the club needs to be right for me.
    You're not right for the club. P1ss off.

After reading his thoughts on the Gold Coast region Ive come to the conclusion that he wouldn't be a good fit for the Titans.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    You're not right for the club. P1ss off.
    I'm reserving my judgement until more info comes to light. I think he could *potentially* be a good thing for the club under the right circumstances.

I'm reserving my judgement until more info comes to light. I think he could *potentially* be a good thing for the club under the right circumstances.

The colourful Salford owner has not been in contact with the Titans, but says he would not rule out any viable NRL investment.

“Why doesn’t the NRL move the Gold Coast to Brisbane?” Koukash said.

“That would be a fantastic idea to move the Titans north. They are not going to get enough support on the Gold Coast, but having two Brisbane teams, you can be guaranteed that the two fixtures, a derby against the Broncos, will create a massive interest.

I don’t care about the region, what I do care about is that it needs to be the right opportunity for me.

“One day I hope to be involved in the NRL and ideally, it would be nice to be involved this time next year.

“I will work very hard to make it happen. I will not give up. I will spend as much as a club is worth.

“The NRL is a great competition, I have a great passion for rugby league and I want to be a part of it.”

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

You may well be right. I am just concerned about the comments he makes that indicate the club might be a plaything to him (eg move to somewhere else, playing in Vegas etc) and the fact he could be a majority owner. I assume any benefits of having a Board like we have now would be swept away as he would want to answer to no one. Of course the NRL can have some pretty prescriptive clauses in his licence agreement but they would have had with Tinkler as well. I am also judging this bloke by what he has "achieved" with Salford. He seems to like seeing his name in the papers and the danger signs are flashing with him.
    Personally I would prefer Darryl Kelly and a few others where one is not a majority controller.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    *very big, red writing*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    You may well be right. I am just concerned about the comments he makes that indicate the club might be a plaything to him (eg move to somewhere else, playing in Vegas etc) and the fact he could be a majority owner. I assume any benefits of having a Board like we have now would be swept away as he would want to answer to no one. Of course the NRL can have some pretty prescriptive clauses in his licence agreement but they would have had with Tinkler as well. I am also judging this bloke by what he has "achieved" with Salford. He seems to like seeing his name in the papers and the danger signs are flashing with him.
    Personally I would prefer Darryl Kelly and a few others where one is not a majority controller.
    Haha, point well made DH. Hard to argue with that quote, (although it was written by Badel, and Marwan's colourful use of the English language sometimes makes room for interpretation). Maybe it's the years of mediocrity and failure getting to me, but I just think at this juncture, it's worth hearing more about his vision for the club. Could he turn out to be another Palmer/Tinkler? Absolutely... but isn't it at least possible that he could do a Russell Crowe here on the coast under the right circumstances ??? Both you guys know better than me on this issue, as admittedly, I don't know that much about the bloke... Like I said, reserving my judgement.

Unless we buy it we have to face it that someone will buy it and we'll just have to suck it up.

Difference with Crowe is that he grew up with the Bunnies and saw them succeed. He has reverence and respect for the club.

Nothing wrong with someone buying it. Daryl Kelly is a fantastic example of what a great owner would be. I just dont think Marwan gets it. It'd destroy RL on the Gold Coast and wouldnt help the game in Brisbane either. It'd be two wrongs in my view.