Default Our next coach. KPI's

Obviously Henry is taking over for the remainder of the season and is in the box seat for a new deal. I have already stated that he should only get next year to make some changes with an option to extend after that.
    What I would like to see is some sort of Key Performance Indicators attached to the new coach's contract. The reasons are that we are in a deep hole right now with several factors that need addressing in regards to the on field performance of the team.
    1. The style of play needs to change..... If they club wants the fans to be excited about going to games the team has to give them a reason. Boring grinding football won't cut it.
    2. Players MUST be picked on "form" and not reputation.
    3. Players MUST be picked in their best positions. This may hurt a few ego's but it has to happen if the club wants to be consistent and win games.

I know there are more but these to me are fairly vital to making changes that are needed for on field success.

KPI's would need to be actual MEASUREABLES. Things that can be measured and are not affected by public opinion. We need to improve our:

POINTS SCORED and we need to improve in the area of PENALTIES CONCEDED. We are all VERY biased when it comes to the quality of our football team but I think we all need to take a step back and realise that we are a LOOOONG way off the pace at the moment and finals football is not necessarily just around the corner.

Would Myles or Bird captain any other club? Would White, Ryan, Falloon, Srama, Minichiello, Blair, Tighe, Zillman or Gordon play first grade at any other club?

If Henry is the man then he should get one year with a one year option in favour of the club because he inherits Cartwright's team.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Why it's time for a Gould coaching comeback
    By Andrew Voss
    NRL.com
    7:35am Wed 06th August, 2014

1) Who should coach the Gold Coast in 2015?

Phil Gould.

It's time to come back Gus. Coaching is your calling.

I pestered him for years back on the old Sunday Roast on Channel Nine to make a return to coaching, and now – more than ever – the time and the position is right.

The way I see it, the Gold Coast don't just need a good coach; they need a Kevin Sheedy-style promoter to go with it.

The Titans are doing it tough in many areas, and I do have reservations about their future.

Gus's return would be great for the club and the NRL.

I know there is a five-year plan at Penrith but the structure has all been set in place. Many good people are now on deck in management at the Panthers and can carry on the work.

Pay him well, let him have open slather at the 'all you can eat' Pizza Hut bar* whenever he wants at Kirra, give him a lifetime pass to Sea World and Movie World if you have to!

Just get Gus.

(*Yes, they still have one of these on the Gold Coast)

Found this on NRL.com Today
    http://www.nrl.com/why-its-time-for-...2/default.aspx

Hahaha!!!

I absolutely love Andrew Voss, he's the best caller in the game right now, but there's only one thing to say about this article:

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!

Surely a pisstake article from Vossy..

Haven't we had enough Penrith rejects?

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Obviously Henry is taking over for the remainder of the season and is in the box seat for a new deal. I have already stated that he should only get next year to make some changes with an option to extend after that.
    What I would like to see is some sort of Key Performance Indicators attached to the new coach's contract. The reasons are that we are in a deep hole right now with several factors that need addressing in regards to the on field performance of the team.
    1. The style of play needs to change..... If they club wants the fans to be excited about going to games the team has to give them a reason. Boring grinding football won't cut it.
    2. Players MUST be picked on "form" and not reputation.
    3. Players MUST be picked in their best positions. This may hurt a few ego's but it has to happen if the club wants to be consistent and win games.

I know there are more but these to me are fairly vital to making changes that are needed for on field success.
    I agree with the sentiment, but i would put it slightly different:

1. our play style should reflect our brand and the values we wish to uphold. We need to play with honesty, enterprise and INTENT!

2. players being picked on form and reputation is correct, but there needs to be accountability, where a players KNOWS if he hasnt performed, he can expect to be left off the team sheet. Not only that, he should know and feel that he has let down his team / mates / brothers, and earn his spot back. sounds harsh, but the best teams use accountability and consequence as means to drive success.

other than that i agree with Karnage, we need to smarten up and get professional on the ground. all well and good for nate myles to make Thor jokes, but it actually just annoys me more than anything. id rather he was using his brain to think of a way to stop getting your ass kicked by the cowboys, than get on the nightly sports highlights.

Like a few others here, I'm in the "not sure about Henry" camp at this stage.

Positives:

1) His teams have generally scored a lot of points (yes he had JT at the Cowboys but his 2008 Raiders were also very good):

2007 Raiders 9th
    2008 Raiders 2nd (5 behind 1st)
    2009 Cowboys 3rd (17 behind 1st)
    2010 Cowboys 14th
    2011 Cowboys 2nd (7 behind 1st)
    2012 Cowboys 1st
    2013 Cowboys 7th

Given our history so far has been 15th, 12th, 8th, 7th, 16th, 11th and 8th it would be great to see some good attacking footy!

2) If you assume the head coach has some influence throughout the club, the NYC teams of the clubs he has been at have had some reasonable performances. The 2008 Raiders were NYC Premiers and the 2011 Cowboys lost the Grand Final by 1 point.

3) He is often credited with having a primary role in establishing the Maroons' team that won 8 SoO series in a row.

4) As Karnage mentioned in another post, he is renowned as the hardest worker in the football department - first in, last out.

Negatives:

1) His regular season winning percentage of 47% (79 wins & 89 losses).

2) His post season winning percentage of 20% (1 win & 4 losses).

3) If it wasn't for the Storm salary cap scandal he'd have a wooden spoon on his resume.

4) He has never really had a very good defensive team (15th, 8th, 7th, 16th, 8th, 7th & 6th). Given that for those seven seasons the premiers always had the best or second best defensive record, he has probably been some way off of ever producing a premiership calibre team.

So, given that his teams have generally been OK at scoring points, most of the negatives come down to issues with defence. Can he get a team playing good defence without the attack suffering?

The bottom line for me - given I think the lack of club developed talent in the first grade team is the biggest of the many failings of the previous coaching staff and administration, if Henry has had a hand in the NYC performances of his previous clubs and he can bring some decent attack to the first grade squad, I wouldn't be unhappy about him getting the job permanently (if the contract is not too long!).

That's a great post Numbers. I can see why you are called Numbers!
    You mention the NYC - a few sobering numbers for the Titans NYC team:
    2008 - 8th
    2009 - 14th
    2010 - 10th
    2011 - 14th
    2012 - 16th
    2013 - 15th.

His lack of defensive nouse is well demonstrated by our mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Squinter98 View Post
    Why it's time for a Gould coaching comeback
    By Andrew Voss
    NRL.com
    7:35am Wed 06th August, 2014

1) Who should coach the Gold Coast in 2015?

Phil Gould.

It's time to come back Gus. Coaching is your calling.

I pestered him for years back on the old Sunday Roast on Channel Nine to make a return to coaching, and now – more than ever – the time and the position is right.
    http://www.nrl.com/why-its-time-for-...2/default.aspx[/I]

1. I'm sure Vossy still has access to and communication with Gus

2. Gus did spend some time on the Coast earlier this year and said he was impressed (though that might've only been Carty support). I can't find the details of his visit because

3. He has deleted his twitter account

I'm not saying he would be my first choice (he would certainly turn away prospective Qld based fans) but the dude knows how to coach and run a club better than anyone else who is available