Outgoing Titans coach John Cartwright is unsure what his future holds, but will go back to laying bricks or driving trucks if he has to

OUTGOING Titans’ head coach John Cartwright was embraced by family as he made his way out of Gold Coast Airport for the last time as boss of the club he helped create.

The foundation coach, who has been with the Titans for eight years, was in a sombre mood following a tough loss to the Sydney Roosters on Monday night.

But his spirits were lifted after receiving a hug from daughter Eden, who was at the airport to pick him up.

While Monday night’s loss was not the result Cartwright and Titans’ fans wanted, it was typical of a tumultuous 2014 season where the team has been close but no cigar on many previous occasions.

Cartwright is still uncertain as to what his future may hold, admitting he will go back to “driving trucks” or “laying bricks” if need be.

“I don’t know what is in front of me,” Cartwright said.

“The one thing I do know is you’ve got to go out and earn a living.

“I’ve driven trucks before and I’ve laid bricks before, so I’ll see what happens.”

It is understood Cartwright will see out the final two years of his contract in an administrative role.

But the 49-year-old remains unsure whether swapping the football field for a desk job will suit him.

“I don’t know if it’s really what I want to do but if it is, then there might be an opportunity,” he said.

The former NSW and Australian Kangaroos representative will have plenty of time to think about his future when he leaves for Tahiti this morning.

He will join ex-Titans CEO Michael Searle for a one-week trip to the French Polynesian island where they will watch the Billabong Pro world surfing contest.

“It has been a long week and a funny old week,” Cartwright said.

“All week everything I’ve done it has been like this is the last time I’ll do this and the last time I’ll do that.

“I’ll probably walk out the door and it will all sink in then,” he said.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/