Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Hong Kong Rugby League - Returns to the field in 2022

Hi everyone.

I love Rugby League particularly International Rugby League. Like many of you I want to see our game played around the globe.

I live in Hong Kong (I'm an Aussie from Brisbane) and work in the education system. I have an educational and professional background in Business, Sport Management and Marketing.

I have been reflecting on getting Rugby League up in Hong Kong for a while. And recent discussion in the forum on the Mexico thread has encouraged me to post this topic.

Obviously what ever is done needs to be balanced and sustainable. Not based on any one person. It also can't be just an expats league, there needs to be proper and determined efforts to get Hong Kongers playing.

Things could begin as an interest group, gathering and recruiting the people we need to make a go of it.

There is an expat Australian population of 90,000 and then you have your people from the UK and NZ. Hk is a well known place to many and it is close to travel from Australia.

I also believe there are many of us out there with links to Hong Kong, or who have visited or work there.

One thing I do know, starting a Rugby League is one of the hardest things you can do and I wouldn't want to be taking any backward steps.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Things have been going well, with a lot of support and messages offering assistance.

Please LIKE HKRL on facebook! CLICK HERE

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

On Saturday night I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew Charles from the Thailand Stars. He was visiting Hong Kong (One of the luxuries of being a gateway city) and we managed to organise a catch up.

Andrew and the TRLA have been very successful with their staged development and work through the Asia Cup. He went into depth about how they started, the challenges and the future.

Andrew can be certainly described as an Internationalist with the game at heart. He gave me valuable advice and someone experienced to bounce ideas off. He was very encouraging and I agree that it should be similar to get Rugby League up in Hong Kong than any other Asian country.

He told me about the upcoming Phuket 9s and offering Thailand as a future opponent if we can form a side for a friendly.

I can really see how a group of nations in Asia, in close proximity could really help each other.

A photo to commemorate the occasion. Here is to international solidarity. I value his support and new friendship. A guy us internationalists can be proud of.

photo 1.jpg

Event

Hong Kong: Four Nations Meet Up! - LINK

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Things have been going well, with a lot of support and messages offering assistance.

Please LIKE HKRL on facebook! CLICK HERE
    done

Had a good turn out of around 10 passionate RL fans. Of course there were a lot more there and in other pubs but not specifically for this meet up.

We have a few experienced people ready to bring this to a reality.

We will meet again this weekend and every weekend of the Four Nations.

We will then have a more formal meeting afterwards to bring everyone together and move ahead.

Got a couple more people interested on some of the expat pages around.

Slowly but surely. Building and building.

Headed into a HKRL meet up for our 5th meet up.

The HKRL is fast gaining a lot of momentum.

Did you also know that there is a Gold Coast in HK?

So we had a fantastic meeting, full of brand new RL fans and keen internationalists.

We had many people wearing Kangaroos and Kiwis jerseys.

Lots of ideas. Lots of experience and skills. Including members of current RU clubs and former RL players.

We also agreed to start a touch footy team in a couple of weeks. We will call it the 13s, just so people know that we are the Rugby League guys.

Having drinks with two of my close partners in HKRL. This project is going to really turn into something special and fast.

I'll give you all the scoop. Tonight at 7pm HK time (9pm Queensland time) the Hong Kong Rugby League will be formalised.

Niiiiiiiice. I also liked the FB Page .
    Aiming for the title farthest away fan

HONG KONG RUGBY LEAGUE ESTABLISHED

committee-04.jpg

Rugby League’s continued push into Asia took a significant step forward this week with the formation of the Hong Kong Rugby League.

Joining the likes of Thailand, Japan and the Philippines, the Hong KongRugby League has been established to promote the growth and interest in all forms of the code in Hong Kong.

At the inaugural Annual General Meeting held on Saturday the 6th of December 2014 the first Hong Kong Rugby League board was established.

The inaugural Hong Kong Rugby League board consists of:

Chairman: James Hall
    Secretary: Ray Meli
    Treasurer: Ian Molyneux
    Board Member: Brad Newman
    Board Member: Jason Fairleigh
    Board Member: Jack Muir
    Board Member: Malcolm Pratt
    Board Member: Daniel Mascord

In early 2015 the HKRL board will work hard to establish Rugby League by organising a wide ranging fixture list which will include international matches with the Hong Kong Thunder as well as local representative, domestic, junior, school and touch football.

"We are very excited as a group about giving Rugby League a presence here in Hong Kong. We have put together a board of talented and most importantly enthusiastic people who can push the sport forward in Hong Kong." said inaugural HKRL Chairman James Hall.

"Our hopes for the future are high with regards to getting both adults and juniors playing Rugby League in and for this exciting country. Looking further down the road we can see Hong Kong, with it's geographical positioning, being a venue of great interest to the global Rugby League community."

"If you have any interest in playing, supporting or volunteering then please get in touch as we have some exciting plans in place for 2015."

The Hong Kong Rugby League is honoured to be the custodians of the great game in Hong Kong and will use their passion and experience to take Rugby League to great heights in Hong Kong and internationally, especially with our Asian neighbours.

Further announcements about the Hong Kong Rugby League will be made in the coming weeks.

To find out more or to get involved, please visit the website at www.hongkongrugbyleague.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/hkrugbyleague or email on info@hongkongrugbyleague.com

HKRLNinesEvent-01.jpg
    Our first social event of the year!

One of our new banners in Hong Kong.

10842041_492833687523870_2101919250201476295_o.jpg