Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Gold Coast Titans boosted by Aidan Sezer’s return to fitness
    TRAVIS MEYN
    THE COURIER-MAIL
    AUGUST 08, 2014 12:00AM

Titans players adopt responsibility for Cartwright sacking

TITANS five-eighth Aidan Sezer is ready to return to the NRL.

Sezer has missed the past 12 weeks with a torn pectoral muscle but can stamp his return to first grade by passing a fitness test at this morning’s training session.

He will be given until Sunday to prove his fitness for the clash against the Roosters in Sydney on Monday.

It is a must-win encounter for the Titans, who are reeling after coach John Cartwright announced his resignation on Tuesday.

Sezer has been on the sidelines since injuring his shoulder in round 10.

Sezer has been training with the team for two weeks and Titans medical staff are confident that he will turn out against the Roosters.

“He needs to get out there and have a couple of solid hit-outs where he’s doing full-on solid contact and we’ll make an assessment,” incoming coach Neil Henry said.

“We will probably wait as late as possible because he is certainly a good part of our team and brings that kicking game as well.’’

The Titans have had a makeshift halves combination in recent weeks with mid-season recruit Daniel Mortimer slotting into halfback alongside centre Brad Takairangi.

With Albert Kelly returning from a leg injury for Tweed Heads on Sunday, the Titans are close to having their first-choice halves again but their season is on the brink.

They need to win all of their final five games to make the play-offs.

Paul Kent says John Cartwright a victim of Titans finances

“We’re struggling a little bit in the halves,” Henry said. “He (Sezer) brings goalkicking and he’s an experienced player. It would alleviate a lot of pressure off Daniel Mortimer,.”

Co-captain Greg Bird said the absence of Sezer and Kelly had been a major factor in the Titans losing nine of their past 11 matches.

“We’d enjoy having some stability,” he said

The Titans are hopeful Aidan Sezer will be fit to face the Roosters this weekend.

http://www.couriermail.com.au
    Last edited by TITAN PETE; 08-08-14 at 06:48 AM.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Game is also David Taylor's 150th

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titan Mini hails brother's battles

GOLD COAST, Aug 8 AAP - Gold Coast's Mark Minichiello believes no other footballer would have come back from the injuries that threatened to destroy his brother Anthony's NRL career.

The Sydney Roosters captain announced on Monday that this season would be his last, meaning Monday's clash between the Titans and the premiers will also be the final time the Minichiello brothers face off on the football field.

Anthony rebounded from a series of debilitating back injuries between 2006 and 2009 to lead his beloved Roosters to the 2013 premiership, and his younger brother says that just shows what a champion he is.

"The character and toughness he showed to come back from those terrible injuries, I seriously don't think anyone else would have come back," Mark said.

"The operations he went through. The pain he went through. It's a real credit to him the way he worked to get back and play really good football."

While Mark admits his sibling is still probably a bit too elusive for the back-rower to get too close to him on the field, he is determined to get one last shot at claiming backyard bragging rights at Allianz Stadium on Monday.

"It'll be a nice moment, I think. Hopefully we can get a win. He probably holds a lot better win-loss record ... but I'm looking forward to being able to play against him one last time," he said.

AAP

'Any other player would have quit'

Foundation Titans player Mark Minichiello has paid his older brother Anthony the ultimate compliment, saying that the back injuries that kept him to 33 games over four seasons from 2006-2009 would have ended the careers of lesser men.

The Minichiello brothers will go head-to-head for what is likely to be the final time on Monday night when Mark's Titans endeavour to keep their season alive against the Roosters team captained by Anthony.

Having played 294 games for the Roosters over the past 15 seasons Anthony announced last Monday that this would be his final year playing for the tricolours and his little brother was full of praise for the courage he showed in returning at all.

Throughout their careers the Minichiello brothers have played a combined 548 NRL games and faced off against each other on 12 occasions, Anthony scoring eight tries and enjoying eight wins (including the 2010 Preliminary Final) compared to Mark's solitary try (in 2004) and four wins, three of which have come in the past four years with the Titans.

"I knew a little while before he told [the Roosters] and I think he's picked a good time. He's still playing really good footy and each individual will know when it's time to give up and he just thinks it's the right time," said Mark, who hopes to make a decision on his own future in the next two weeks.

"I don't think any other player would have come back and played rugby league. That's my honest opinion. The character and toughness he showed to come back from those terrible injuries, I seriously don't think anyone else would have come back.

"The operations he went through and the pain he went through, it's a real credit to him the way he worked to get back and play really good football."

The Minichiello elders, Theresa and Mick, have always been supportive of their sons' sporting pursuits but Mark revealed that as Anthony struggled to get out of bed in the morning they did discuss whether playing on was in his best interests.

"They always had questions, whether it was the best thing for him, coming back from such a serious injury where he couldn't get out of bed in the morning," Mark said.

"Of course that's going to be hard on our parents, to see him try and come back from that, but they've always been supportive of our decisions and I don't think we could have got through our careers without the support of our parents."

At the end of 80 minutes on Monday night it is likely to be a mix of emotions for Minichiello as he shares the rugby league stage for the final time not only with his brother but also his coach of the past eight seasons, John Cartwright.

Along with Luke Bailey, Minichiello and Cartwright are the only two men standing from the foundation team of 2007, Cartwright announcing on Tuesday that this will be his 192nd and final game as Gold Coast head coach.

The distractions of the past few days were evident at Friday's training session, co-captain Nate Myles laying down the law with an impassioned address upon its completion in front of Cartwright and his likely successor, Neil Henry.

"He's one of the captains of the club so whenever he feels it is the time to do so he always speaks his mind and that's what captains have to do," Minichiello said of Myles's address to the players.

"It wasn't the sharpest session today and we just had a chat about that. We did some good things but our communication was down a bit; it was more about that and trying to make sure that we come on Sunday and everyone's communicating right and we have a sharp session.

"Being here eight years I've seen a lot of highs and lows and this week is probably down with the lowest the club's been at.

"The two guys that have stepped aside have pretty much grown this club from the beginning so it's sad to see them go."

http://www.nrl.com/

Roosters v Titans

Rossters: Should be 1-17, with Mitch Aubusson expected to come back from his ankle injury on the bench. Hooker Jake Friend (hamstring) will miss at least a week.

Titans: Aiden Sezer is on track to return from his pec injury in time for Monday night's game, which would presumably bump Brad Takairangi out of the halves and into the forward pack. William Zillman and Kalifa Faifai Loa are both confirmed starters.

http://www.nrl.com/

Is Mini really shorter than the count?
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

We'll be focused come Monday

Mini looks at brotherly rivalry

Sydney Roosters hooker Heath L’Estrange quickly making himself known to teammates

Heath L’Estrange lived up to his nickname "stranger" so well when he arrived at the Roosters that one of his international teammates asked another if the balding hooker was actually a member of the coaching staff.

Now the Roosters finals hopes rest on the well-travelled 29-year-old who will start his first NRL game at hooker against the Titans on Monday since September 1, 2007 after replacing Jake Friend – whose hamstring injury ends his 113 consecutive game streak.

“Most of the boys were on World Cup duty when I started pre-season,” L’Estrange said. “When Roger Tuivasa-Sheck got back he asked Jared Waerea-Hargreaves; ‘who is that fella? Is he one of the coaches’?

“I’ve been away for four years. A lot of these boys are only kids and have never seen me play which is fair enough. I’m just thankful to be back and able to play in a premiership winning side and hopefully go back to back with them.”

L’Estrange spent four seasons at the Roosters between 2004-2007 before switching to Manly where he featured off the interchange bench during his two-year stint.

His time at Manly was highlighted by playing in their 40-0 grand final win against Melbourne in 2008.

While he was unfamiliar to Tuivasa-Sheck, L’Estrange wasn’t totally foreign to all his Roosters teammates having played alongside Waerea-Hargreaves at Manly and Mitchell Pearce during his first stint at the club.

But four years with Bradford – where he was co-captain – meant he was virtually unknown to the bulk of the squad.

Despite having a year to run on his contract with the English Super League club, family reasons brought L’Estrange back to Australia.

He and his wife Jess struggled trying to conceive a child during their four years of marriage. When Jess fell pregnant on a holiday to Australia , L’Estrange knew there was no way he wanted to return to the UK.

“She finally became pregnant through outside help,” L’Estrange said. “We came home after the season to have the baby and realised that we wanted our child to grow up around our family.

“[Then Bradford coach] Francis Cummins was involved in everything that was going on with Jess and I in the past couple of years. He just said he would support whatever I needed to do.

“We enjoyed our time in England. I met some wonderful people and some life-long friends. We wanted our daughter to grow up around her friends and family. To go through so much heartache over three years, away from our family we wanted happiness.

“As soon as we arrived my wife was eight and a half months pregnant and everyone was happy. I made my mind up to try and get a club here or give it up and do something else. Jess followed me to England and we had a great four years there. She sacrificed her friends and family to come over to me. I thought it was time to repay her.”

Little Grace was born in October, and about 24 hours later L’Estrange had his playing future secured when he re-joined the Roosters on a two-year contract.

“She’s unbelievable,” L’Estrange said. “Every morning she’s beautiful and brightens everything.

“I went from having a little baby girl to signing with the premiers, it was the best 24 hours of my life. No other club rang me back. The Roosters were the only ones so I was thankful for that. They said that I’m going to be behind two great players but I told them that it didn’t matter, I wanted to be here and fight for my place.”

A staph infection during the Christmas break led to L’Estrange missing the first six games of the season. After returning with Newtown in the NSW Cup, L’Estrange completed his NRL comeback in round 16 relieving Friend following Daniel Mortimer’s switch to the Titans.

He finds in himself on track to play finals football, in stark contrast to his former teammates at Bradford who sit second last on the premiership ladder and will be relegated from the Super League at season’s end.

“It’s the best decision I’ve made,” L’Estrange said. “I’ve got a chance to show Trent Robinson and my middle teammates how important I can be. I’m not going to be Jakey Friend – he is a freak at the top of his game and someone who is going to play for Queensland and Australia.

“I know I’ll keep playing once I get the tap on the shoulder and told no more first grade. I’ll go back to (junior club) Hills District and have 10 years back there. I just love playing footy.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

Bring it on. I'm fired up. Hopefully we can once again upset the chooks.

I know many pundits are predicting that Roosters will give us a thumping. But I think the team will pull together.

ROOSTERS

1. Anthony Minichiello 2. Nene Macdonald 3. Michael Jennings 4. Shaun Kenny-Dowall 5. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 6. James Maloney 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Heath L'Estrange 10. Sam Moa 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Aidan Guerra 13. Frank Paul Nuuausala

14. Mitchell Aubusson 15. Isaac Liu 16. Dylan Napa 17. Remi Casty 18. Kane Evans 19. Kurt Kara

TITANS

1. William Zillman 2. Kevin Gordon 3. James Roberts 4. Dave Taylor 5. Kalifa Faifai Loa 6. Brad Takairangi 7. Daniel Mortimer 8. Luke Bailey 9. Beau Falloon 10. Luke Douglas 11. Mark Minichiello 12. Nate Myles 13. Greg Bird

14. Matt White 15. Mark Ioane 16. Paul Carter 17. Maurice Blair 18. Cody Nelson

Sezer in for Takairangi.

Sydney Roosters: Drama on the other side but Mitchell Pearce wants a thriller

Sydney Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce believes his side will be ready to combat the extra emotion surrounding John Cartwright's last game in charge of the Titans.

Cartwright, who is the Gold Coast's foundation coach, will part ways with the club after Monday night's clash against the Roosters at Allianz Stadium.

And while the Titans will be desperate to send him off on a positive note, Pearce insists the Roosters are no stranger to tackling opposition with added incentive.

''It's funny this year, I'm not sure if it's being premiers or whatever, but most games we've gone into there seems to be a drama on the other side,'' Pearce said. ''Like when we played the Knights, there was a lot of emotion behind it, and there's been a few others as well. it makes the challenge better. They're a great side no matter what but obviously with Carty going, they're going to be more motivated.''

The Roosters are expected to win their next two games against the Titans and an under-siege Wests Tigers, but they have a difficult run home into the finals. They take on the Warriors in New Zealand in round 24, before clashes with premiership heavyweights Melbourne and South Sydney at Allianz Stadium to round out the season.

The Roosters have struggled to recapture the form that led them to premiership glory last season, but Pearce insists his side are in a good position to make their assault in a bid for back-to-back titles.

''I think we're in a good position,'' Pearce said.

''We'd like to be a bit further up the ladder, especially with a couple of tight games we lost. But we feel like we're in a good position to make a run home ... A lot of people have had their comments about us but at the end of the day if you can put yourself in a position to win the competition, then it's a new little comp in itself in the finals. That's what we're worried about because from now on we want to control our own destiny.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l

Emotional exit for outgoing Gold Coast Titans NRL coach John Cartwright

THERE was a quiver in John Cartwright’s voice as he addressed media on Sunday for the penultimate time as Gold Coast Titans coach.

His final training session in charge had come to a close.

Not much more could be done before tonight’s clash against the Roosters at Allianz Stadium — the last time he’ll sit in a Titans’ coaches box.

The Titans trained like usually but there was an elephant in the stadium Cartwright has been trying hard to ignore.

“I’m trying not to think about it to be honest with you,” he said.

“The boys have been good all week and I hope they can go out with a win.

“It’s never been about me. It’s about the team. The team’s still in semi-finals (contention).”

Foundation Titans forward Mark Minichiello last week described the club at being at its “lowest” point following the resignations of Cartwright and founder Michael Searle.

The team trained poorly on Friday but responded with an improved hit-out yesterday.

They’ll run out tonight knowing an eight-year chapter is about to end but Cartwright is adamant this season isn’t over.

The Titans must win their last five games to make the finals and he wants to give incoming coach Neil Henry something to work with for the remainder of 2014.

“If we win the game then we’ll still be in the hunt,” Cartwright said.

“The season doesn’t end (tonight). The club’s got five games to go.

“Our only focus all week has been winning the game and staying in the hunt and hopefully getting some good crowds at home for the back end of the year.”

The Titans have suffered through a heavy injury toll this season and have excuses for their dramatic form slump in the past three months.

But the NRL is a results-driven business and for four seasons the Titans haven’t been up to scratch.

Cartwright will enter his final game in charge of the Titans with a record that sits at 191 games for 87 wins (45.5 per cent).

It’s not too dissimilar to the majority of NRL coaches but it’s the last four years which ultimately decided his fate.

Since 2011, the Titans have won 35 of 91 matches (38.4 per cent).

Parramatta (2009) is the only club with a longer finals drought.

But Cartwright was unwavering in his support for his players, saying he’s rarely been let down by them since taking up the post in 2007.

“I’ve got no doubt and I’ve had no doubt with their effort for the majority of the time I’ve been here,” he said.

“It’s the nature of the beast. We’d all like to be our very best every day but that’s not always the case.

“On the whole, from day one, we’ve been against the odds. The team are hard workers and I’ve got no complaints in our department.

“I’ve got no doubt we’ll be up for the challenge (on Monday).”

The players have said they don’t want to take in a “do it for Carty” attitude but co-captain Greg Bird admitted it was impossible to ignore.

“It will be (in the back of our minds) a little bit,” he said.

“It’s our last opportunity to play under Carty.

“It’s going to add a little bit of extra emotion to it but we have got five games left and can’t be putting everything into this one game and forgetting about the others.”

This may be the end of the road at the Titans for Cartwright but he’s confident there is success on the horizon — which may be closer than most think.

“The attitude’s been great all week,” he said.

“They’ve prepared really well. We’ve got no excuses.

“We’re starting to get some players back from injury and that’s the main thing.

“If we can stay in the hunt, fingers crossed we’ll be back to full strength by the end of the season and there’d be a lot of sides that wouldn’t want to play us if we get our team back to where it was to start the year.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl

Roosters wary of overconfidence: Guerra

Sydney Roosters representative back-rower Aidan Guerra has warned his teammates about over-confidence leading into their crucial clash with the Gold Coast on Monday night.

The premiers can force their way back into the NRL top four with a win over the struggling Titans at Allianz Stadium in coach John Cartwright's final match in charge of the visitors.

The tricolours have stumbled in recent weeks with poor losses to NRL cellar dwellers Cronulla and Newcastle and Guerra says they need to learn from those lessons against the Titans who upset South Sydney at ANZ Stadium five weeks ago.

"It seems that the games we feel there is pressure is when we are playing our best football - we need to emulate that week to week and be able to get up for the games (where) you tend to get a bit over-confident," the Queensland State of Origin star told AAP.

"We need to focus every week, we have just played tough but we weren't playing our style of football.

"We have gone into our shell a little bit the last few weeks and that is a good lesson for us to know that is not how you win football games ... there is a lot work to do."

Guerra admitted the Roosters had struggled to reach the heights of their title-winning season of last year.

"We are focusing on what we can do this year and we have spoken about what has happened this season," he said.

"We can't dwell on that; we have to move forward.

"We need to gain momentum, we are putting pressure on ourselves, there is pressure from coaches and pressure from our supporters, that is the nature of the beast, we just have to carry on."

Missing injured trio Sonny Bill Williams (thumb), Jake Friend (hamstring) and Daniel Tupou (back), the Titans loom as a danger game for the Roosters.

"A player of Sonny's calibre is a loss - I happen to be in his position (but) it is more than one person's effort that is going to get us through," he said.

"Every game from here on in is a danger game, we are looking to learn from the lessons of the past and... grind out a win."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com