Default Q&A with Michael Searle (forum members)

Q&A with Michael Searle

In one Sydney one day attending the NRL launch, on the Gold Coast the next answering the questions from our members - is there a better CEO out there?

Thanks so much for all the support and work you have done for the Titans. I was just wondering if there will be a Sydney group to promote the Titans in Sydney, or will you promote the club in Sydney from the Gold Coast?

We hope that we will have a very strong following in Sydney and we have been in discussions with various organizations about the promotion of our club along the Eastern Seaboard and we are working closely with the NRL and its media partners about a promotional campaign that will ensure Sydney based supporters for our club. Whether that is driven by us in Qld or down here by an agency is yet to be discussed. But with the awesome support from our media partners rest assured we are hopeful of a strong Sydney fan base particularly with the high volume of Gold Coast expats residing in Sydney for work or University.

Also, what will be the rules in terms of drinks and things allowed in Carrara and later on Gold Coast Stadium? Will people be allowed to bring in large flags, drums and stuff like that, and will full strength beer be served, or will the club be heading in the direction of a lot of other stadiums and clubs where these things will be banned or reduced?

The GCCC and MSFA (Qld Govt) are working closely together to ensure we have a seamless transition from Carrara to Robina across a range of issues and two of these is venue management protocols and operational rules related to patrons. Security, catering rights and patron behaviour are but a few of the massive issues we are working on and scrutiny will be on our fans as much as it will be ion our players.

What has been the biggest challenge for you so far? And do you believe the Sydney centric NRL will allocate more teams to Queensland?

The greatest challenge we have been facing has been dismissing the myth of the City?s sporting history related to media asserting that we have continually failed. This has been so engrained in media reports that it has become ?factual reporting? over the past 6 years. When people do realize the truth of our history they will come to realize the Titans are part of an incredible city with a great future in the NRL and circumstances external to the City?s passion created the withdrawal of national sporting teams of the past. It certainly wasn?t from a lack of support or passion from our fans! Gold Coasters are full of passion and soul particularly when it comes to its rugby league.

It's often been said that the Titans will be looking at the man first, in regards to signing players who are respectable individuals off the field. I think this is an admirable position as off-field traumas have often been detrimental to the game. In regards to this, I was wondering what sort of stance the Titans will have on alcohol. In the media Ricky Stuart has recieved some backing for his tough stance on alcohol, and on the reverse we've seen a number of alcohol related incidents involving players and groups of players. So my question is what will the Titans policy be in this area and do you feel alcohol is a problem within the rugby league playing community?

There is no doubt excessive alcohol consumption forms a high percentage of issues in the community at large and a significant amount of disputes are alcohol induced.

I cannot speak on behalf of the Head Coach or the players however personally I do not believe that abstanience is the answer. Self control and moderation are the key here. If you say to a young man he can never drink you create an environment where they will do this in an underground culture that may create greater problems than if you actively manage the social activities of the team.

We believe that a social policy on alcohol and drugs, including the penalties the players levy on the offending players, needs to be agreed to in consultation with the players, the Titans administration and a range of social and community advisors.

We hope we will be able to release such policy within the first 7 days of the players coming together in Mid November 2006.
    Cheers

Thanks to Michael for the quick response!!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Wow its great to get a response to these questions. Pass on my thanks to Michael

Titan CEO

Some good questions and great answers there by searle. Appreciated that he takes the time to answer these.

YAY my questions got answered.. and very well too..

I am going to hound down that media agency if promotion of the Titans is freelanced in Sydney.. I will try to work for them if it means even starting as the photocopying boy..

I really appreciate the time that Michael and Scott and John have taken to answer these and it shows how much the fans really mean to them, and I appreciate it very much that we have such great group of people who realise that the fans are a key element to success in a club..

Oh and Finally 2000th POST.. yay and thanks for making this place such a great place to be everyone... haven't been around as much.. but if I didn't really enjoy being here, I would have never reached 2000 posts..

and hopefully we see 20,000 more!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

thansk micheal wonder how many other ceo out there would take time out to answer question for a supporters forum i could probably count tham on one hand anyway good on ya micheal searle a real champion i bet he is a happy chappy today with the signing of scottie :rotflmao:

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

An open and honest CEO. That's the way he's been from the start and is an example to the other 15 CEO's on how a bit of PR with the fans can be dealt with.