Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    So the message from Cartwright is as clear a ps crystal:

We can't beat Canberra because of Milford
    We can't beat Parra because of Hayne.
    We can't Souths because of Inglis.
    We can't beat Storm because of Slater.
    We can't beat Cowboys because of Thurston.

But... IF we get some luck against teams without a superstar we should hopefully be able to keep them under our 18 point threshold, then if we get even more lucky bounces or intercepts or plays we can score those 18 points.

Could somebody please ensure that this makes it into the membership prospectus for next year.
    It is sad that our only 'tactics' are luck and superstitions...He honestly has no idea how to coach

James Roberts could be out of this game with an injured hip at training today

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    James Roberts could be out of this game with an injured hip at training today
    Yea just saw this on TEN news. Not good. Also some talk of a virus going through the club. (No puns intended)
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans prepare for 'JT' torment
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    12:00pm Wed 30th July, 2014

He has a more intimate knowledge of the capabilities of Johnathan Thurston than most but Titans assistant coach Neil Henry believes the left side defence that was left so exposed last week can handle whatever the Cowboys superstar throws at them.

With Brad Takairangi named at five-eighth and Dave Taylor in the centres for the third week in succession, Thurston will be plotting ways in which to force the Titans into defensive errors, something the Eels pairing of Chris Sandow and Jarryd Hayne did to great effect last Saturday.

Parramatta's opening three tries of the game came through the Titans' left edge but Henry believes it was the work on the inside that made them vulnerable out wide.

For the Eels' first try Sandow was able to hold up a pass for winger Ken Sio after Taylor rushed out of the line, Hayne burst through a gap between Takairangi and Greg Bird midway through the second half and then Sandow enticed Takairangi out of the line to put Hayne over in between Takairangi and Taylor.

All told Taylor has missed 11 tackles in his past two games in the centres and the success of Parramatta will have served as a blueprint that Thurston and Cowboys coach Paul Green will be poring over in the lead-up to their crucial clash at 1300SMILES Stadium on Saturday evening.

"Hayne went through between 'Birdy' and Taka and I thought Dave's been defending quite well out there actually," said Henry, who will be returning to Townsville for the first time since departing at the end of the 2013 season after five years there as head coach.

"He's mobile for a big fella and I thought he's been handling their speed men quite well. He's certainly getting his runs up and getting the full 80 minutes out which is a bonus for us.

"He came in a couple of times when he probably could have stayed out but he used his speed again to get to [Will] Hopoate so I thought there that the problem was on the inside of the line. We had a man shoot out of the line there which enabled Sandow to skip across and hit Hayne on a short ball so we've addressed that in our review so that we need to work together in the line.

"When you look at it, it comes down to a couple of defensive lapses and Jarryd's good enough to make you pay for it, and he certainly did."

Of concern to the Titans will be the fact that the Cowboys are becoming less reliant on Thurston due to the emergence of Michael Morgan at fullback. With 16 try assists Morgan is ranked fifth in the entire competition with Thurston at the top of the list with 20.

Morgan made his NRL debut under Henry at halfback in Round 9, 2010 and his former mentor has been impressed – but not surprised – with how he has adapted to his new role at the back.

"He'd played a fair bit of footy for the [Mackay] Cutters in the centre position so his running game has always been a strong point of his game and he had played that style of footy when he was younger as a junior," Henry recalled. "He hadn't played fullback before but he's certainly played in the outside backs before.

"It doesn't surprise me really. He had a disrupted year last year and he's got a good pre-season in and he's certainly a talent, he's slotted in there and been one of their more consistent players.

"He's got a good selection of passes and he can kick the ball. He's laid on a few tries with some selective passes and kicks so that's another dimension that not all fullbacks have because he's played in the halves.

"They're dangerous when they all link together and sweep and we saw evidence the other week where he was strong close to the line and got a try where he was on his knees for three or four metres and planted the ball. He's quite a big player; he's deceptive. He's over 6-foot and he can really run."

The Titans will share the fullback duties between Kevin Gordon and David Mead, who makes his return to the side after missing the past three weeks with a hamstring injury.

Kalifa Faifai Loa misses out on a trip to Townsville to face his former club after suffering a minor medial ligament strain in his knee against the Eels last weekend.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titans wary of superstar factor

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 2:07 PM
    Source: AAP
    Author: Ed Jackson

Once bitten, twice shy.

That's the feeling Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has about coming up against a genuine rugby league superstar in Johnathan Thurston this Saturday.
    The Titans were humbled by Parramatta fullback Jarryd Hayne last weekend, with the NSW and Australia star scoring two tries in a match-winning effort at CBUS Super Stadium.
    And Cartwright says North Queensland half Thurston is just as capable of exploiting any space and time the Titans give him in this weekend's crucial clash in Townsville.
    "He's a freakish player," Cartwright said.
    "We had one last week we didn't handle all that well.
    "We'll do our homework on him and basically we've got to keep him quiet. If he plays well, generally the Cowboys win."
    Gold Coast head into the game knowing their hopes of ending a finals drought stretching back to 2010 are fading fast.
    The Titans lie 13th on the ladder following the loss to the Eels, just two points behind the seventh-placed Cowboys but with a vastly inferior points differential.
    Titans' co-captain Nate Myles says despite the need to turn things around, no-one at the club is panicking just yet.
    "We're not looking at numbers at the moment we just know we need to improve," Myles said.
    "The Cowboys are playing fantastic football. We know what we're up against and they've got some strike across the park. We're going to have to switched on up at Townsville.
    "We all have the belief in our systems that we can get there (finals). We know we can beat any side on our day we're just lapsing too many times."
    Myles has also dismissed off-field dramas involving a full review of the club by the board which has put Cartwright's position under pressure.
    "In my time at the Titans it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing," he said.
    "As a playing group it's pretty easy to focus on the football. To be honest that's all we should be focusing on. We can't control anything else."

Old poopy draws must be looking forward to his holidays.
    Last edited by Titanic; 31-07-14 at 09:36 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Titans wary of superstar factor

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 2:07 PM
    Source: AAP
    Author: Ed Jackson

Once bitten, twice shy.

That's the feeling Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has about coming up against a genuine rugby league superstar in Johnathan Thurston this Saturday.
    The Titans were humbled by Parramatta fullback Jarryd Hayne last weekend, with the NSW and Australia star scoring two tries in a match-winning effort at CBUS Super Stadium.
    And Cartwright says North Queensland half Thurston is just as capable of exploiting any space and time the Titans give him in this weekend's crucial clash in Townsville.
    "He's a freakish player," Cartwright said.
    "We had one last week we didn't handle all that well.
    "We'll do our homework on him and basically we've got to keep him quiet. If he plays well, generally the Cowboys win."
    Gold Coast head into the game knowing their hopes of ending a finals drought stretching back to 2010 are fading fast.
    The Titans lie 13th on the ladder following the loss to the Eels, just two points behind the seventh-placed Cowboys but with a vastly inferior points differential.
    Titans' co-captain Nate Myles says despite the need to turn things around, no-one at the club is panicking just yet.
    "We're not looking at numbers at the moment we just know we need to improve," Myles said.
    "The Cowboys are playing fantastic football. We know what we're up against and they've got some strike across the park. We're going to have to switched on up at Townsville.
    "We all have the belief in our systems that we can get there (finals). We know we can beat any side on our day we're just lapsing too many times."
    Myles has also dismissed off-field dramas involving a full review of the club by the board which has put Cartwright's position under pressure.
    "In my time at the Titans it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing," he said.
    "As a playing group it's pretty easy to focus on the football. To be honest that's all we should be focusing on. We can't control anything else."

Old poopy draws must be looking forward to his holidays.
    WOW, Carty making excuses for the loss before the game has even kicked off...
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

Just once I'd like to hear him say:

"They're a good side and they're going to put up points, we are going to have to be clinical in attack to ensure that we put up enough points to stay in the game".

The focus is ALWAYS negative.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Just once I'd like to hear him say:

"They're a good side and they're going to put up points, we are going to have to be clinical in attack to ensure that we put up enough points to stay in the game".

The focus is ALWAYS negative.
    Only a smart coach with proper footy brains would say this. Cartwright is not one of those so there is 0% chance of him saying that

I am expecting the boys to have the usually hard dig away from home. Although a win is not a certainty, I'd Be happy with a strong game from Gordon at fullback, if mead is shunned.
    Also, disappointed this season that no one from NYC has even made the bench this season.
    Gone are the days of a young 16 yr old playing grade at the titans, we import with shtting in pants panic!

Anthony Don out with a virus running through Titans camp Brad Tighe on wing. Roberts and Carter likely to play despite hip and foot injuries respectively. Honestly in my years watching NRL I have never seen a team lose more players to injury then us.
    Last edited by Titan4Life; 01-08-14 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nimud View Post
    I am expecting the boys to have the usually hard dig away from home. Although a win is not a certainty, I'd Be happy with a strong game from Gordon at fullback, if mead is shunned.
    Also, disappointed this season that no one from NYC has even made the bench this season.
    Gone are the days of a young 16 yr old playing grade at the titans, we import with shtting in pants panic!
    I think that part of the problem is that we hit our 2nd tier cap really early due to all our injuries

Gold Coast give David Mead licence to roam in move that could make him the Titans’ fullback
    Travis Meyn
    The Courier-Mail
    August 01, 2014 12:00AM

IT is the licence to roam that could see David Mead blossom into the Gold Coast’s long-term fullback.

Mead will run into the key position whenever he feels necessary against North Queensland in Townsville on Saturday night in the hope of sparking a late-season charge to the finals.

In a move similar to what Roosters duo Anthony Minichiello and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck did on their way to winning the premiership last year, Mead and Kevin Gordon will rotate between the wing and custodian against the Cowboys.

It’s an arrangement that has proven successful for the Titans. Mead scored a slick try off an Albert Kelly inside ball against the Rabbitohs in round 17, despite regular fullback William Zillman being on the field.

Mead success could open the door to the fullback role long-term. Source: News Corp Australia
    Mead will return from a three-week break with a hamstring injury on the wing but the 25-year-old said he was ready to chime in from the back when needed.

“That’s the plan, to rotate with Kev during the game when we get the messages,” he said.

“When I get a feel for it and sense an opportunity up the middle I’ll try and go in and help the boys out. I’ll be happy to get a run there but I’ve just got to focus on doing my job, whether wing or fullback.

“I’ve got to be switched on the whole game.”

The Titans head north and train in Townsville on Friday afternoon.

Mead’s return is a boost for the Titans, with the NSW Country fullback topping the club’s linebreaks (six) with Kelly this season.

The Papua New Guinea international has made no *secret of his desire to be the *Titans’ permanent No 1.

Fortunately Ill get to watch this game this week. Going to a friend's place while Im still in oz.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

WTF we have two part time fullbacks? Ridiculous...

Someone really needs to tell this club to jam it and go to another club.

I swear management DO NOT want Mead back there at all (Henry included)
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]