http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...94c05bb97550a9

THE Queensland Reds have forked out between $600,000 and $700,000 from their own Super Rugby salary cap to sign code-hopper Karmichael Hunt after the ARU declined to provide him with a top-up.

While there has been no official announcement that the Reds have signed Hunt, it is an open secret that it’s a done deal.

With the ARU deciding against topping up Hunt’s contract, the Reds had to compete against NRL teams Brisbane, Canterbury and Gold Coast, who are believed to have offered him between $600,000 and $700,000.

The Reds are relying heavily on the recruitment of Hunt and former Wallabies utility back James O’Connor, which is also yet to be officially confirmed, to revive their fortunes.

Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie was unaware of the Reds’ contract negotiations with Hunt, but he confirmed the ARU was not involved in the deal.

“I’m not sure where it is up to. As far as I’m aware it hasn’t involved the ARU. If they have done anything, they have done it themselves,” McKenzie said.

Hunt, who played Australian Schoolboys rugby union, was the first Australian athlete to play at the elite level in three codes of football, playing rugby league for the Brisbane Broncos, rugby union for French club Biarritz and AFL for Gold Coast.

McKenzie said Hunt’s background in rugby union would help him to make a successful transition but it would be more difficult at his age (27).

“He has obviously played multiple sports and been successful, which suggests he is a good sportsperson,” said McKenzie, who has coached code-hoppers such as Mat Rogers, Lote Tuqiri, Wendell Sailor, Mark Gasnier and now Israel Folau.

“From memory he has played rugby at schoolboy level and has also played it in Top 14 (France). He has played it a couple of times in his career.

“It’s not like he hasn’t got any instincts for the game. I think Biarritz did pretty well in the time he was there. He’s got instincts that suggest he could make the transition, albeit he is an older guy.

“Most of the issues come from whether there is any understanding of how the game functions and the later you leave that as a player and try to develop those instincts the harder it is.

“Izzy (Folau) is a young guy. He has made the transition. Where his mind is and his patterns of play aren’t ingrained because he hasn’t been doing it for so long. He is more malleable and willing to learn and be re-coached and redefined. The fact that Hunt has got some background may make that transition easier.

“I’ve been involved with all of them so they have all made different transitions. Gasnier made a good transition at the same age. Benji Marshall didn’t go so well. It depends on the individual and how they think and how coach*able they are.”

Meanwhile, McKenzie seemed confident Wallabies and Waratahs back Kurtley Beale would re-sign with the ARU and NSW for the World Cup year.

“I’m not close to the day-to -day of all that, but I think he is enjoying his rugby,” McKenzie said. “I don’t see any reason why he is looking to go anywhere else. There is a negotiation going on. You hear lots of things.”