Default Karmichael to Reds

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...94c05bb97550a9

THE Queensland Reds have forked out between $600,000 and $700,000 from their own Super Rugby salary cap to sign code-hopper Karmichael Hunt after the ARU declined to provide him with a top-up.

While there has been no official announcement that the Reds have signed Hunt, it is an open secret that it’s a done deal.

With the ARU deciding against topping up Hunt’s contract, the Reds had to compete against NRL teams Brisbane, Canterbury and Gold Coast, who are believed to have offered him between $600,000 and $700,000.

The Reds are relying heavily on the recruitment of Hunt and former Wallabies utility back James O’Connor, which is also yet to be officially confirmed, to revive their fortunes.

Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie was unaware of the Reds’ contract negotiations with Hunt, but he confirmed the ARU was not involved in the deal.

“I’m not sure where it is up to. As far as I’m aware it hasn’t involved the ARU. If they have done anything, they have done it themselves,” McKenzie said.

Hunt, who played Australian Schoolboys rugby union, was the first Australian athlete to play at the elite level in three codes of football, playing rugby league for the Brisbane Broncos, rugby union for French club Biarritz and AFL for Gold Coast.

McKenzie said Hunt’s background in rugby union would help him to make a successful transition but it would be more difficult at his age (27).

“He has obviously played multiple sports and been successful, which suggests he is a good sportsperson,” said McKenzie, who has coached code-hoppers such as Mat Rogers, Lote Tuqiri, Wendell Sailor, Mark Gasnier and now Israel Folau.

“From memory he has played rugby at schoolboy level and has also played it in Top 14 (France). He has played it a couple of times in his career.

“It’s not like he hasn’t got any instincts for the game. I think Biarritz did pretty well in the time he was there. He’s got instincts that suggest he could make the transition, albeit he is an older guy.

“Most of the issues come from whether there is any understanding of how the game functions and the later you leave that as a player and try to develop those instincts the harder it is.

“Izzy (Folau) is a young guy. He has made the transition. Where his mind is and his patterns of play aren’t ingrained because he hasn’t been doing it for so long. He is more malleable and willing to learn and be re-coached and redefined. The fact that Hunt has got some background may make that transition easier.

“I’ve been involved with all of them so they have all made different transitions. Gasnier made a good transition at the same age. Benji Marshall didn’t go so well. It depends on the individual and how they think and how coach*able they are.”

Meanwhile, McKenzie seemed confident Wallabies and Waratahs back Kurtley Beale would re-sign with the ARU and NSW for the World Cup year.

“I’m not close to the day-to -day of all that, but I think he is enjoying his rugby,” McKenzie said. “I don’t see any reason why he is looking to go anywhere else. There is a negotiation going on. You hear lots of things.”

Great to see another quick money grab from the money grub
    #itaintweaktospeak

Crazy money imo, especially with the state that RU is in...

Always came across as a pure mercenary to me.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

hardly worth the effort to comment ... we'll all watch how he goes but he was never going to be one of us the khunt.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Darren Lockyer: NRL faltered in battle for Karmichael Hunt’s coveted signature

DARREN LOCKYER The Courier-Mail August 30, 2014 12:00AM

WHEN Karmichael Hunt runs out in a Reds jumper next season, I will watch my former Broncos teammate with a heavy heart.

Not because I have anything against rugby’s Queensland Reds. But because I always hoped Karmichael would return to wear the Queensland State of Origin jumper – and the NRL should have done more to make that scenario an irresistible reality.

For the past few months it became patently clear Karmichael was genuinely exploring other avenues.

What amazes me is that the NRL were never there when the whips were cracking putting together a financial package to lure Karmichael home to the sport that launched him.

If ever there was a time for NRL boss Dave Smith to wield discretionary powers on chasing a marquee player, this was it.

The NRL cannot afford to become complacent in a sporting marketplace fighting increasingly harder for corporate and consumer dollars. How many stars does rugby league, as a code, need to lose before its governors digest the pulling power of our elite players, and that replenishing such talent levels is not easily achieved?

Hunt is not the only example of a blue-chip performer lost to rugby league.

The NRL inexplicably dithered with Israel Folau, unable to agree on his contract value. Opportunity lost, he is now blitzing them in rugby.

At season’s end, two of the most intimidating players in the NRL, Souths pair Sam Burgess and Ben Te’o, will be lost to rugby in the Northern Hemisphere.

And while the trickle of NRL talent to rival codes may never become a full-scale flood, adopting such a mentality misses the point.

Any successful corporation must work hard to keep its best employees.

Hunt, Folau, Burgess and Te’o are all talents who I’m sure would have stayed put if the NRL found ways to keep them satisfied. That is the challenge for the NRL, and why, having missed out on Hunt, they should up the ante to make a play for Folau.

The AFL have been criticised for signing Hunt and Folau but it’s hard to argue the move wasn’t carefully planned with as much emphasis on footballing achievement as PR strategy. The AFL could see the newly created Suns needed a market presence on the Gold Coast. Hunt was parachuted in there. And with the Titans now needing a promotional injection after some turbulent years, Hunt would have been perfect.

I just thought it was a no-brainer. Karmichael already lives on the Gold Coast, has a young family there, and is perfectly suited to the NRL.

Make no mistake, the Titans were genuinely interested in Karmichael. His manager met with Gold Coast hierarchy and NRL head-of-football Todd Greenberg.

The Titans had made preliminary inquiries about NRL assistance. But without an aggressive push from the NRL, the Titans were never capable of trumping rugby’s Reds in a bidding war.

Last year, the NRL announced they had banked $49 million. That is a wonderful result, and surely some of those funds can be used to bring home the fine talents we lost.

Ideally, ‘‘K’’ and Izzy would be playing rugby league next season, but unless the NRL is prepared to formulate robust poaching bids, I fear the horse has bolted for both.

Source: Fox NRL
    Last edited by Toads; 30-08-14 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kioli View Post
    Crazy money imo, especially with the state that RU is in...
    I'm not sure how this appears to be the general consensus with some RL supporters (that RU is in bad shape). Just for example, the Queensland Reds signed on more members than the Donkeys, Cowboys 'n us combined this year (by roughly 5000).

The Wallabies performance for a number of years has been unacceptable. But apart from that, RU in general isn't doing to bad from what I've been seeing.

They are bleeding red ink, that is the issue.

Not surprised Hunt chose a sport that may be a bit easier on his frame.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I do agree we should be reluctant to shower code jumpers with cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    I'm not sure how this appears to be the general consensus with some RL supporters (that RU is in bad shape). Just for example, the Queensland Reds signed on more members than the Donkeys, Cowboys 'n us combined this year (by roughly 5000).

The Wallabies performance for a number of years has been unacceptable. But apart from that, RU in general isn't doing to bad from what I've been seeing.
    Brumbies announced today they had financial problems: http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2...al-blow/?cs=12

and a gloom and doom article from the Fin. Review a couple of weeks ago: http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport...v3XBkMDFgEzQGL

The thing is, in every code of Australian Sports there are various Clubs/Franchises having financial woes. IIRC, Canberra, Cronulla, Newcastle and even our mob haven't been traveling too well of late.

Admittedly, that financial review article doesn't paint a pretty picture. But with a bit of smart restructuring like what's mentioned in the RUPA Report will probably go a long way of turning things around. As for the TV Deals, the AFL, V8 Supercars and NRL were all getting a raw deals until contracts were renewed in recent deals. Gotta admit though, not having Super Rugby broadcast free-to-air isn't doing the code any favours.

Anyway, this isn't intended as a tit for tat discussion between the codes. I was just curious to why there is this perception that RU in Australia appears to be going **** up..

The thing is, in every code of Australian Sports there are various Clubs/Franchises having financial woes. IIRC, Canberra, Cronulla, Newcastle and even our mob haven't been traveling too well of late.

Admittedly, that financial review article doesn't paint a pretty picture. But with a bit of smart restructuring like what's mentioned in the RUPA Report will probably go a long way of turning things around. As for the TV Deals, the AFL, V8 Supercars and NRL were all getting a raw deals until contracts were renewed in recent deals. Gotta admit though, not having Super Rugby broadcast free-to-air isn't doing the code any favours.

Anyway, this isn't intended as a tit for tat discussion between the codes. I was just curious to why there is this perception that RU in Australia appears to be going **** up..
    ARU and QRU recent financial reports.

You are right I reckon in your views about RU as a game but have a read of the ARU financial position if you want to know what shape they are in and add their tv ratings to that. It's not good.

What a ****ing waste of tax payer money

The ACT government has committed to a 10-year, $26 million deal to have the GWS Giants play four games in Canberra each season, including one pre-season match and three premiership games.

The deal with the Giants also includes a $1 million sponsorship to have "Canberra" on the team's jerseys

It means the Giants effectively get $400,000 per game in Canberra, but the government keeps gate revenue from hosting games at Manuka Oval.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    What a ****ing waste of tax payer money
    A good site for hours of amusement.. WasteWatch: An irreverent look at Government waste.