Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Does anyone know of the Entity that is the Titans now?

3 share holders.(owners) Searle (majority 40.6%), Darryl Kelly 34.4% and Ashuman Magazine 25%. Searle and Kelly are board members but Magazine is not.

Internal club review to shake-up strife-torn Gold Coast Titans

TITANS godfather Paul Broughton has called for stability at the Gold Coast as the strife-torn club braces for the internal review that could herald the demise of coach John Cartwright.

Broughton backed the wide-ranging probe into the operations of the Titans club he helped create almost a decade ago in tandem with Michael Searle.

Considered one of the game’s senior servants, Broughton resigned as Titans chairman two years ago following revelations of the $25 million debt that nearly bankrupted the club.

The 84-year-old was recently embroiled in a legal stoush with Searle, with the pair in dispute over an ownership stake in the Gold Coast NRL Investment Unit Trust.

While Broughton’s chairmanship came to a controversial end, he refuses to condemn the Titans, but says the club’s new board is critical to a Gold Coast revival.

“I believe the review was due,” Broughton told The Courier-Mail.

“I don’t want to be critical of the Titans because I think they have a great board and that is vital to the success of the Titans.

“What they need more than anything is stability.

“They are getting that with their board now. Their chairperson, Rebecca Frizelle, is a very respected businesswoman on the Gold Coast and they have one of the most respected CEOs in Graham Annesley.”

Asked about his relationship today with Searle, Broughton said: “I’m not going to pass any comment on Michael at all ... ever.”

Despite his advancing years, Broughton remains invested in the code. The man who helped set up the Penrith Panthers in 1967 is presently working on a university paper investigating the anatomy of the rugby league tackle.

And Broughton’s 60-plus years in rugby league tell him there are some areas for the Titans to address, chiefly the club’s floundering under-20s side and junior development.

“The concern they really have in my opinion is that their under-20s have never performed and that’s occurred with the North Queensland Cowboys as well,” Broughton said.

“That (the performance of the under-20s) holds the key to the club’s success as well.

“The pathway mightn’t be as good as it should be, whether that’s due to money I don’t know.”

On Monday, Titans players met Dr Dave Arthur, who will preside over the internal review, with his verdict on the Titans set to be delivered next month.

Despite calls for Cartwright to be axed, Broughton believes the club must keep faith in the foundation coach.

“I’ve made no secret of the fact I’m close to John Cartwright and a strong supporter of him as a coach,” he said.

“John doesn’t become an ordinary coach overnight — I still believe he can coach.

“There is still a possibility they can make the eight and based on that, considering their horrendous injuries, I think they have to stick with Cartwright.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227006221970
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I enjoyed reading the article until the last line
    #itaintweaktospeak

Yeah I had the same thought.

I think the fact that Paul has said he is close to Carty means he would say nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I enjoyed reading the article until the last line
    Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Internal club review to shake-up strife-torn Gold Coast Titans

“John doesn’t become an ordinary coach overnight
    — I still believe he can coach.

“There is still a possibility they can make the eight and based on that, considering their horrendous injuries, I think they have to stick with Cartwright.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227006221970
    This quote is spot on, though. He won't become an ordinary coach overnight and it's unrealistic to expect that. Maybe with some hard work, a lot of luck, and huge improvements, he may lift his game to ordinary one day.

Quote Originally Posted by amaline View Post
    This quote is spot on, though. He won't become an ordinary coach overnight and it's unrealistic to expect that. Maybe with some hard work, a lot of luck, and huge improvements, he may lift his game to ordinary one day.
    But not today
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by amaline View Post
    Couldn't have said it better ... we have had teams to challenge on their own merit that have just fizzled like a Todd Carney bubbler ... "ordinary" would be an overstatement.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I think that the following quotes from the article is the main thing that's missing.

And Broughton’s 60-plus years in rugby league tell him there are some areas for the Titans to address, chiefly the club’s floundering under-20s side and junior development.

“The concern they really have in my opinion is that their under-20s have never performed and that’s occurred with the North Queensland Cowboys as well,” Broughton said.

“That (the performance of the under-20s) holds the key to the club’s success as well.

“The pathway mightn’t be as good as it should be, whether that’s due to money I don’t know.”
    The recruitment that we've done has gathered a group of misfits and outcasts together and asked a region of supporters to accept them as their own. If we were 13th and had local products busting their guts and playing attractive footy, no-one would be questioning our existence. The lack of a pathway for our local juniors and the fact that it is clogged by everyone else's off-cuts is, apart from the justified contempt that most have for Searle, the most damaging thing for our club. We lack heart because of this. We have tried to buy a premiership with these discards. They are all quality individual players, Myles, Bird, Roberts, Taylor and Kelly and mostly exciting to watch, but I'm not sure the continued search to buy in big players is what is or even was needed.

When we started out as the Titans we had to buy in players and we made an effort to bring some players "home". But we bought instantly likeable players and players that played with heart. I'm not sure the current crop fit that mould and it would've been nice to see some of the home grown talent persevered with rather than be discarded as they have been. Do we still have U16's/18's like we once did. Do we have a high school academy or two for our purposes and a pathway for those players to the NYC, Qld Cup and NRL? Certainly doesn't feel like it. While it is a results based business, we still need to ensure that the roots of that success are firmly planted in our region and not continually imported. We should've matured much more than we have. The fact is we seem to have regressed since our inaugural season.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Interesting photo posted to RLW Mole's page on Twitter:

#Days since last consecutive win
    -Maguire (1)
    -Toovey (2)
    -Green (3)
    -Bellamy (4)
    -Cleary (15)
    -Bennett (16)
    -Hasler (17)
    -McFadden (17)
    -Griffin (20)
    -McGregor (24)
    -Shepard (24)
    -Arthur (44)
    -Robinson (45)
    -Potter (99)
    -Cartwright (109)
    -Stuart (1863)

Ladies and gentlemen, right down the bottom of this ladder you can see 2 of this competitions finest coaches, who in fact worked for each other once upon a time. This is why the Titans and Raiders/Eels last year are such successful clubs who always threaten the comp

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    “John doesn’t become an ordinary coach overnight
    Nope he has been working toward that for a couple of years now. He was a good coach that failed to evolve with the changes in the game and that is what separates good from ordinary.

Excellent Post Supergoose. We have plently of homegrown Juniors who are excelling in the local competitions . These Juniors have not been given the opportunity for some reason or other. It would appear that the Junior Development staff prefer to look elsewhere for players whom I doubt have the heart and passion to represent the Titans in the way that supporters would expect. Until this happens our talented Juniors will be identified by others and poached.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    I think that the following quotes from the article is the main thing that's missing.

The recruitment that we've done has gathered a group of misfits and outcasts together and asked a region of supporters to accept them as their own. If we were 13th and had local products busting their guts and playing attractive footy, no-one would be questioning our existence. The lack of a pathway for our local juniors and the fact that it is clogged by everyone else's off-cuts is, apart from the justified contempt that most have for Searle, the most damaging thing for our club. We lack heart because of this. We have tried to buy a premiership with these discards. They are all quality individual players, Myles, Bird, Roberts, Taylor and Kelly and mostly exciting to watch, but I'm not sure the continued search to buy in big players is what is or even was needed.

When we started out as the Titans we had to buy in players and we made an effort to bring some players "home". But we bought instantly likeable players and players that played with heart. I'm not sure the current crop fit that mould and it would've been nice to see some of the home grown talent persevered with rather than be discarded as they have been. Do we still have U16's/18's like we once did. Do we have a high school academy or two for our purposes and a pathway for those players to the NYC, Qld Cup and NRL? Certainly doesn't feel like it. While it is a results based business, we still need to ensure that the roots of that success are firmly planted in our region and not continually imported. We should've matured much more than we have. The fact is we seem to have regressed since our inaugural season.

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    I think that the following quotes from the article is the main thing that's missing..... .....The fact is we seem to have regressed since our inaugural season.
    Great post 'Goose ... there are two things I would like to add (1) who has been responsible for that? none other than Tom Searle, and (2) we are how old? therefore eligible players were 11 and 12 years back then, so I ask, how many of those have we let through and how many could be playing for us with the heart that 'Goose talks about?

mdrew, no crying, ok? we all understand
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Yes - excellent post Supergoose.

The crux of the matter for me is that the team should be a Gold Coast community-based institution. While private ownership of the team may make this difficult, it doesn't have to preclude it if there is reasonable dialogue between ownership and the community. This dialogue is decidedly lacking in this case. The way I see it as it currently stands is that the team is not the Gold Coast Titans but the Michael Searle Titans - and the review will need to lead to some sweeping reforms for me to think otherwise.