Default Titans under 20s score emphatic win over Raiders

Titans under 20s score emphatic win

The iSelect Gold Coast Titans under 20s side have scored an emphatic 60-22 victory over the Canberra Raiders at Cbus Super Stadium this afternoon.

The young Titans fought back from 16-0 down after 15 minutes to score a whopping 38 unanswered points with Brian Kelly, Jaiden Hawkes, Christian Hazard and Karl Lawton all grabbing doubles to give the side its biggest win of the season.

The win also marks the first at Cbus Super Stadium for the year and sees the side jump two spots on the competition ladder to move up to 13th position.

It was the visitors who opened the scoring in the third minute after the Titans failed to clean up a Raiders’ kick which bounced up neatly for Thomas Cronan to score under the posts to give Scott Doyle an easy conversion and his side a 6-0 lead.

The Raiders extended their lead in the 11th minute when Doyle barged his way through the defensive line to stretch out and plant the ball down.

With the momentum firmly in their favour, the Raiders capitalised through Dylan McGrath who made a break from dummy-half before drawing-and-passing to Jono Kent to score before Doyle added the extras to edge his side 16-0 clear after just 15 minutes.

The Titans turned defence into attack after forcing a Raiders error coming out of trouble and took full advantage when they opted to run the ball on the last play with Kelly scoring out wide to reel the deficit back to 16-4 after 20 minutes.

The try gave the Titans a confidence boost and when Zac Spring broke through some lazy defence coming of trouble, the Titans spread the ball early to take advantage of an overlap with Hawkes crossing to give Kane Elgey an easy kick to bring the score-line back to 16-10 with 15 minutes remaining in the half.

In the 29th minute, the Titans successfully used their captains’ challenge with the video-referee overruling the on-field referee’s decision to award a try to the Raiders.

The Titans produced some razzle-dazzle footy with the ball going through multiple sets of hands before ending up with Hazard who found his way across the line before Elgey converted to send the game into half-time break tied up at 16-all.

The Titans started the second-half in similar fashion they finished the first with Hawkes darting across from dummy-half to score under the posts giving Elgey an easy conversion and the home side a 22-16 lead.

A blind side play by the Titans resulted in utility Shaun Hudson putting in a deft grubber to be collected by Hazard to score his second try of the afternoon. With Elgey adding the extras the Titans edged out to a 28-16 lead with 35 minutes remaining.

The Titans continued their second-half dominance scoring back-to-back tries through forwards Jackson Clarke and Lawton to shoot out to a 42-16 lead with 20 minutes remaining.

The Titans let the ball bounce from the kick-off and were made to pay with the it bouncing inch-perfect for Brett Solomon to score under the posts to reel the score-line back to 42-22.

With the game heating up and players having a couple of melees, the referees intervened by sin-binning the Titans Francis Fifita and the Raiders Scott Doyle.

But the Titans put an end to any Raiders comeback hopes finishing the game off with Lawton grabbing his second and Jahrome Hughes and Kane Elgey getting across the line to give the Titans the 60-22 win.

The Titans will look to keep their winning ways when they take on the table-topping Newcastle Knights at Hunter Stadium next week.

Gold Coast Titans 60 (J Hawkes 2, C Hazard 2, B Kelly 2, K Lawton 2, J Clarke, J Hughes, K Elgey tries; K Elgey 5, D Fletcher 3 goals) defeated Canberra Raiders 22(T Cronan, S Doyle, J Kent tries, B Solomon; S Doyle 3 goals)

Source: http://www.titans.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Great win and played some great footy, even though they were 16-0 down they never gave up, jahrome Hughes was the best on the park he has a bright future ahead of him, James iodice off the bench really put the titans on the front foot with some great runs and his high work rate, another player to impress was the reserve hooker Lawton very creative around the ruck, but all in all a great team effort who really deserved the win and I hope they kept going this year

Team definitely has some attacking talent right across the park. As per typical 20s fashion, momentum proved to be the killer as we got a roll on and were unforgiving playing (mostly) error-free football.

I enjoy watching these guys much more than the NRL team currently. They have got some real ability in the side.

Rome was outstanding today. He has a very handy ball-playing game and his chemistry with Elgey and Hazard is awesome to watch. We really do have a very good Spine in 20s and its starting to pay dividends.

My recap of the team..

1 – Jahrome Hughes (capt) - MOTM for mine. Busy and really showed his class. Strong ball playing game with a nice step and a willingness to look for offloads up the middle - he showed all his skills today.

2 – Brian Kelly - looks to have really grown in confidence. Still u18 and 2 more years in u20s but looks to be enjoying the physical stuff and a strong finisher. Good defensive player too from what I saw.

3 - Jaiden Hawkes - One of his better games. Not a centre though IMO, but had a high work rate and offloaded well. Running from dummy half was his strong point.

4 – Connor Broadhurst - Solid all round as usual. Best asset is his ability to straighten up the play and did that well again today.

5 – Zac Spring - Great effort today, typified by his individual line break and 60 odd metre run as a consequence. He's the u20s version of Don if you guys haven't watched him (although entirely different in stature)

6 – Christian Hazard - Very classy. Short passing game was very impressive and looked to direct the team around well.

7 – Kane Elgey (capt) - Played very well. Has been exceptional this season really. Extremely busy and his decision making was on point.

8 – Francis Fifita - Solid as usual, stood in the tackle well at times to allow for an offload. Sin binning was harsh considering he didn't really do anything wrong IMO

9 - Deacon Fletcher - relatively quiet game from Deacon. Showed his skillset and versatility today though by slotting into the halves when Hazard went off injured.

10 – Mitch Sharp - ran hard and straight like any prop should.

11 – Harrison Hughes - Worked hard on defence, didn't notice too much

12 – Anthony Colman - Very good - runs direct and always managed to get over the advantage line. Defence was his strong point imo

13 – Jackson Clarke - attitude this guy has is great. Strong carrier of the football who never gave up typified by his try late in the game

INTERCHANGE

14 – James Iodice - Most impressive forward today IMO - big and strong ball carrier

15 – Caleb Morehu - ran good lines and appeared to be busy

16 – Shaun Hudson - needs to start in the centres. Only touched the ball a few times but every time showed his class. Confidence to grubber ahead for hazard to score was good to see after he has come back from such a bad injury. His defence today was above and beyond what I thought he was even capable of which was superb. Has the potential to go on to NRL and mdrew will agree with me on this

17 – Karl Lawton​ - dangerous around the ruck and was evasive with ball in hand. His 2 tries were a credit to his confidence and a fairly decent fend.

great win by the boys yesterday.Sa Fifita 2 runs in 20 odd mins was Solid??the group showed how well they can play with a bad start but great finish!!Go Titans

Quote Originally Posted by neranga View Post
    great win by the boys yesterday.Sa Fifita 2 runs in 20 odd mins was Solid??the group showed how well they can play with a bad start but great finish!!Go Titans
    defensively went fine I thought

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    defensively went fine I thought
    First time I have seen him play,with all the talk about him maybe I expected more.He only played 15 mins I think and didnt do much in both attack and defence IMO.Iodice was awesome as well as the workaholic backrow.

Quote Originally Posted by neranga View Post
    First time I have seen him play,with all the talk about him maybe I expected more.He only played 15 mins I think and didnt do much in both attack and defence IMO.Iodice was awesome as well as the workaholic backrow.
    Yeah big fan of Iodice

Junior

Lonegull, Hail Sezer & Neranga, good comments & I totally agree with you on an outstanding Win by the Titans 20s. To show patience and composure after bad start and then get on top with great strong defence and outstanding attack instigated by our spine (hookers, halfs & fullback) was a pleasure to watch. The young Team is coming of age and playing as a Team. That is 2 great wins in a row against teams that have been going alright this year. Yes Lawton and Iodice are coming on very well, but the mainstays that shine ea week for me are Sharpe, Clarke, Hazzard & Jerome Hughes + the Left edge of Elgey, Coleman, Broadhurst & Kelly are just combining in great fashion. Hail Sezer thanks for Great Summation of Team. What are your thoughts MDrew?
    ps: where is Jenin Parish playing at the moment, has he been injured for he is a talent but is young and has plenty of time GO TITANS

Immortal

Jennan is playing U19's for Burleigh. Echo the thoughts of the other guys, very good effort. Really pleased to see boys I have been watching play for years start to put it together. Thought Clarke had a good game, but Zac Spring is a favourite, always thought he was a winger, he is not flashy but puts in every game. Brian Kelly also a class act and like Hail Sezer can not wait for Huddo to get match fit

- - - Updated - - -

Of course forgot James Iodice, a real good game from a class young man

Junior

Thanks mdrew on info re Jennan, also after watching last couple of games, I have a big rap on Coleman, just something about him, quiet achiever and I believe that him and other good 20s should be put in Intrust Cup Teams for reserve grade experience (last few games) and like Hudson I believe he is a NRL player of future, thoughts?