Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Titans v Raiders preview
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    12:25pm Wed 09th July, 2014

Titans v Raiders
    Cbus Super Stadium
    Sunday, 3pm

Two teams with a solitary win apiece since the Representative Round back at the start of May but only one comes into this one with the top eight still in their sights.

The Titans produced a shock almost as big as the Sharks' win over the Roosters when they ground out a 14-10 win against the Rabbitohs on Monday night while the Raiders come out of a bye on the back of four straight defeats and with devoted 'Green Machine' mathematicians reaching for the abacus to see whether a finals berth remains a possibility.

Only the Sharks have scored fewer points than the Titans thus far in 2014 but the Raiders have just 23 more and have leaked 84 more points in defence compared to a Titans side that has given up 20 points only seven times this year, and only one of which they have come out on top.

With Origin stars Greg Bird, Nate Myles and Dave Taylor taking part in Origin III on Wednesday night, Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has named a 21-man squad, with David Mead unlikely to play and Albert Kelly also under an injury cloud.

Daniel Mortimer and Maurice Blair have been named in the halves for the home side while for the Raiders, Brenko Lee moves into the centres for the injured Jack Wighton. Jeremy Hawkins, originally named to make his debut on the wing, has been denied the opportunity by the NRL as the Raiders have hit their second-tier salary cap limit. His replacement is yet to be confirmed.

The Raiders don't have a great record at Cbus Super Stadium but that may count for little on Sunday; the Titans themselves are 2-6 at home in 2014.

A win on Sunday is no guarantee that the Titans will work their way back into the top eight but if they drop this one their September schedule may start to free up.

It's a game they need to control from the outset but it also shapes as exactly the type of game the Raiders will be planning an interstate ambush.

Watch Out Titans: Despite his side going through a horror run with just one victory since the Origin Series started back in May, David Shillington's performances up front for the Raiders have been getting better the longer the season has gone. Contracted to Canberra until the end of the 2015 season, Shillington has thrown everything into his past two games against the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers and produced some wonderful numbers. The past two games have seen his two highest number of hit-ups for the season to date and ran for 180 metres against the 'Dogs and 139m against the Tigers. He has played 14 Tests for Australia and seven Origins for Queensland and over the past month in particular he's been playing like it.

Watch Out Raiders: In his brief NRL career to date, electrifying centre James Roberts has never gone three games without scoring a try, and he's failed to cross the stripe for the Titans in his past two appearances. Having scored on debut for his new club against the Storm in Round 14 following a mid-season shift from the Panthers, Roberts has failed to find the space he needs to create havoc for the defence, and he doesn't need a whole lot. He had six tackle breaks against the Storm and four against the Dragons but in a stop-start fixture against the Rabbitohs he was well contained. Coach John Cartwright will do a double-take when he sees Roberts touched the ball just six times against Souths so expect to see the Titans shift the ball to his edge more on Sunday.

Plays To Watch: The direct nature of Daniel Mortimer's play at halfback is giving the Titans a much stronger shape in attack and allowing the likes of William Zillman and Brad Takairangi to ask questions of the defence. If Mortimer can hold the Raiders defence up long enough, it will create space on the edges for Kelly and Roberts and give them one-on-one opportunities in which they are so dangerous. Anthony Milford's 40 touches against the Tigers in Round 16 were his most since Rounds 2 and 3; the Raiders need to go to him as often as they can if they can establish a period of pressure in good-ball areas.

Where It Will Be Won: These two teams both rank in the bottom four in the competition for tries scored and the bottom three for line break assists so the ability to take advantage of any opportunities will be crucial. The Raiders have a more settled halves combination in Campese and McCrone, with Titans coach John Cartwright still tinkering with his preferred combination following the mid-season acquisition of Daniel Mortimer. The respective finishing abilities of Jarrod Croker and James Roberts have the potential to turn a half chance into two competition points.

History: Played 14; Titans 9; Raiders 5. The past two years may have been lean ones for the Titans in terms of finals footy but they have had the wood over the Raiders, going into this one seeking a fourth straight victory. The hot weather on the Gold Coast for Round 2 last year enabled the Titans to dish out a 36-0 hiding and then backed that up with a 24-12 Round 3 win this year in Canberra. The Raiders' only victory on the Gold Coast since 2007 was in Round 2, 2012 when Jarrod Croker scored 16 of Canberra's 24 points in their 24-12 win (two tries and four goals).

What Are The Odds: Gold Coast’s upset victory over the Rabbitohs in Monday night footy has triggered a wave of support at Sportsbet.com.au for the Titans ($1.60) to beat Canberra ($2.25). There is five times the money placed on the Titans. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au.

Match Officials: Referee – Jared Maxwell; Assistant Referee – Dave Munro; Touch Judges –Adam Reid & Rickey MacFarlane; Video Referees – Bernard Sutton & Steve Folkes.

Televised: Channel Nine – Delayed, 4pm.

How We See It: A fast track on a sunny Sunday afternoon on the Gold Coast should promote a free-flowing game of footy but it is unlikely we will see expansive movement of the Steeden until the battle in the middle is won. The Titans make more errors than the Raiders but also have a greater ability to absorb pressure so if they can get somewhere near an equal share of possession, they should give their home fans something to cheer about for the first time since Round 6. Titans by 10
    #itaintweaktospeak

After the brain snaps tonite by Myles and bird against each other, a bit of a worry they will both be suspended trying to kill each other.

Quote Originally Posted by nimud View Post
    After the brain snaps tonite by Myles and bird against each other, a bit of a worry they will both be suspended trying to kill each other.
    I hope the pair of them are rested , I'd like to see Nelson & Kingston go around again
    #itaintweaktospeak

Totally agree … send both of them to kindergarten, bloody morons,
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Default Cody nelson

Cody nelson has been suspended for betting I'd hope for it to be just a harmless bet Cody's no fixer
    ---Updated-----
    "Cody Nelson – suspended for two games for betting on one game in which his club was involved – but in which he did not participate"
    Source rugby league week facebook page
    Last edited by toddythetitan; 10-07-14 at 02:55 PM. Reason: update
    Nathan friend my all time favorite titan

Quote Originally Posted by toddythetitan View Post
    Word on facebook is that Cody nelson hs been suspended for betting if this is true it's a real shame although I'd hope for it to be just a harmless bet Cody's no fixer
    • Cody Nelson - suspended for two games for betting on one game in which his club was involved – but in which he did not participate.

nrl.com
    #itaintweaktospeak

Caught in a web that needed to be cast … unlucky for him but sends a strong message.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Gold Coast Titans v Canberra
    Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast, Sunday 2pm (AEST)

Last meeting: Round 3 2014 - Titans 24 bt Raiders 12 at GIO Stadium

Head-to-head: Titans 9 Raiders 5

Referees: Jared Maxwell, Dave Munro.

TV: Live, FoxSports 1

Ladbrokes: Titans $1.62, Raiders $2.35

Betfair: Titans $1.57, Raiders $2.46

Michael Chammas writes: The Raiders didn't have a player in Origin III, which will hold them in good stead come Sunday. The Titans have won just one of their last seven games and might struggle to overcome the Raiders.

Tip: Raiders by 6

AAP writes: The Titans got back to winning ways on Monday in ugly fashion against South Sydney. The 14-10 win at ANZ Stadium ended a six-game losing run and keeps their hopes of a finals berth going. David Taylor will return from Origin duties although Greg Bird (two weeks) will miss out after copping bans from the interstate clash. The Raiders have moved Brenko Lee into the centres for the injured Jack Wighton after Jeremy Hawkins' debut was scuppered by the NRL with Canberra having hit their second-tier salary cap limit. Both teams are among the lowest points scorers in the competition, so don't expect a barrage of tries in this one.

Key: James Roberts. The dynamic youngster provides some much-needed directness in the Titans' attack. If he can be given the opportunities to strike at the Raiders' tryline he'll be decisive.

TITANS: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, James Roberts, Brad Takairangi, David Mead, Maurice Blair, Daniel Mortimer, Luke Bailey, Beau Falloon, Luke Douglas, Greg Bird (capt), Mark Minichiello, Paul Carter. Interchange: Matthew White, David Taylor, Nate Myles (capt), Albert Kelly, Cody Nelson, Mark Ioane, Matt Srama, Tom Kingston (four to be omitted).

RAIDERS: Anthony Milford, Jeremy Hawkins, Jarrod Croker, Brenko Lee, Sami Sauiluma, Terry Campese (capt), Josh McCrone, David Shillington, Glen Buttriss, Brett White, Josh Papalii, Jarrad Kennedy, Shaun Fensom. Interchange: Kurt Baptiste, Paul Vaughan, Dane Tilse, Shannon Boyd, Joel Edwards (one to be omitted).Referees: Jared Maxwell, Dave Munro.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

So, anyone seen a confirmation that has bird been suspended again for another copy book tackle?

So, anyone seen a confirmation that has bird been suspended again for another copy book tackle?
    Yeah 2 weeks out apparently

Yeah as Hail Sezer said 2 weeks. He accepted an early guilty plea.

No other thread to post this.... but cody nelson gets two games for a $10 bet on a game he wasn't involved in.

Paul carter gets two games for being more than twice the blood alcohol limit, and driving the wrong way down a one way street.

Anyone else think our game's moral compass is a bit off?

Quote Originally Posted by john cartwrong View Post
    No other thread to post this.... but cody nelson gets two games for a $10 bet on a game he wasn't involved in.

Paul carter gets two games for being more than twice the blood alcohol limit, and driving the wrong way down a one way street.

Anyone else think our game's moral compass is a bit off?
    yes, I'm still waiting for woods to be suspended and/or fined for giving the bird to the crowd like Taylor and beau Henry was
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    yes, I'm still waiting for woods to be suspended and/or fined for giving the bird to the crowd like Taylor and beau Henry was
    Not going to happen. He's a NSW player. They are untouchable. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Not going to happen. He's a NSW player. They are untouchable. :-)

Kelly's plea: Let us entertain you
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    12:00pm Fri 11th July, 2014

Electrifying Titans half Albert Kelly is using the lure of a point-scoring spree to urge Titans fans to get out in big numbers on Sunday, insisting their voices could make all the difference to their 2014 finals aspirations.

Coming off a drought-breaking win over the Rabbitohs, the Titans need to knock over Canberra at Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday just to keep pace with the top eight and Kelly for one wants to see a significant jump on the average home crowd of 13,637 thus far.

With so many transplanted southerners living on the Gold Coast away teams often find themselves with a decent chunk of the crowd sporting the colours of the visitors but Kelly said with nine games to go they need the locals to stand up and be counted.

"Hopefully the Gold Coast comes out to the games and lifts that crowd up because I think we lack that crowd atmosphere," Kelly told NRL.com.

"If the crowd can get behind us in most of these games in the last run it could help us with our confidence as well. If we hear the crowd singing out 'Titans, Titans' and we're down 10-0, that could give us a nice, good kick and we can put some points on the board and get away with some wins."

Although they have scored six more tries than the Sharks, the rest of the Titans' attacking stats are a horror show that belie their reasonable position on the ladder through 17 rounds.

They are last by a wide margin in line-breaks, last in tackle-breaks and last in try assists yet boast a backline regularly referred to as the quickest in the competition.
    William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, James Roberts and David Mead are all speedsters capable of going the length of the field to score a try and Kelly is prepared to put their try-scoring capabilities up against any team in the competition.

"I know for a fact that we can score points, it's just that there are a few areas we need to work on with our defence," Kelly said. "With the likes of James, Kevvie, Meady that can run 90 metres to score a try, I'll back our attack any day."

The other big boost to the Titans' attack is the return of Kelly who is feeling better than he has since suffering a fracture in his left leg in Round 8 against the Wests Tigers.

Kelly somehow backed up a week after receiving the knock to face the Rabbitohs in Round 9 but then missed games against the Broncos and Warriors before returning in Round 13 against the Panthers.

Ongoing complications with the injury then kept Kelly from lining up in narrow losses to the Storm and Dragons before making a 51-minute cameo off the bench in the 14-10 win over South Sydney.

He remains on an extended bench as coach John Cartwright toys with the right combination to face the big Raiders pack but Kelly insists the physical and mental scars have now healed.

"Yes, definitely," Kelly said when asked whether this is the best it has felt since Round 8. "It's coming along very well and if I just keep doing my pre-hab and my recovery I'll be ticking all the boxes to get back playing a lot more minutes.

"It just felt really good [during Thursday's training session], I'm pretty surprised by it actually. I did a lot of box jumps and that doing weights and it pulled up pretty sweet from that and came out did that whole session so pretty happy with the session today.

"I'm pretty sure it's the muscles and the scar tissue around the break. Last week I only did five calf raises compared to the right side where I could do 30 or 40. I did a few today and it felt a lot better.

"I previously broke my other leg at Cronulla and that was supposed to be 6-8 weeks and it ended up being 17 weeks. It does play a bit on your mind and that confidence level and what you need to take into a game, you really need that confidence.

"Because I did it before it kind of played on my mind as well. I had a few weeks off and then played again and hurt it again and then had another few weeks off and I think that was a bit better. I played on the weekend and got through that pretty good."
    #itaintweaktospeak