Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default David Mead and Titans at crossroad over fullback role

From Couriermail.com.au

Peter Badel
    News Limited
    June 29, 2014 12:00AM

NSW Origin hopeful David Mead is on a collision course with the Titans after being told he will not unseat William Zillman as their first-choice fullback this year.

The Mead saga took a fresh twist last week when his management sought feedback on the utility back’ prospects of clinching the Titans’ No.1 jumper.

Mead's agent Brendan Bourke said Titans coach John Cartwright shut the door on the Country Origin ace usurping Zillman this year.

That stance may be modified next season, but Mead is growing increasingly impatient about becoming the Gold Coast’s first-choice fullback.

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart pursued Mead, only for his interest to fizzle when he learned the Titans would not rescind the 25-year-old’s existing deal.

Bourke said Mead had not formally requested a release but added “that's going to be a conversation we’ll have down the track’’ if Zillman remains at fullback.

Mead is contracted for another two years but Zillman is signed to the Titans until the end of 2017.

“I’m sure Dave would have major interest out there, but we haven’t personally sought out any clubs because we simply can’t,’’ Bourke said.

“John Cartwright has made his intentions clear. He sees Zillman as the club fullback and he sees Dave as a winger.

“He has made it clear that’s the way the set-up will be this year and looking to next year it might change.

“I’ve relayed that message to Dave. Unless Zillman gets injured, Dave won’t be playing fullback this year.

“Zillman is playing pretty solid football but Dave was outstanding there when he got the chance. A lot of people are scratching their heads wondering why he's not the fullback.

“But for the moment, Zillman is the No.1 fullback and Dave has to accept that.’’

Zillman was outstanding at fullback last year but when he briefly succumbed to injury earlier this season, Mead underscored his backfield brilliance.

The former PNG international destroyed the Broncos in Round 6, scoring a match-turning 92m try and running for a staggering 243m in a 12-8 victory.

Zillman’s best this season is 138m, in the opening round against Cronulla.

Mead only signed his upgraded deal last December and the Titans are unlikely to give him permission to negotiate with rival clubs.

“Unfortunately, you can’t just up and leave a contract,’’ Bourke said.

“He’s a professional footballer so he has to dig in for the Titans.

“We’re trying to work with the Titans for Dave to play fullback. He believes that’s his best spot and all we can do is make our intentions clear.’’

This is bull**** from the Titans and John Cartwright. I CAN NOT believe that John Cartwright is pig headed and continues to select William Zillman over Mead at FULLBACK.

Mr Annersley you will have another email from me first thing on Monday morning.

Just, brain-numbingly stupefying.
    How obviously wrong and unsuccessful do things have to be at our club before changes are made?!

Cartwright's "good guy" image is starting to crumble into what many would consider a gorilla mentality … good guy when it suits but a childish pig-headed know-it-all when exposed like this and the many other instances where the goat pics have surfaced.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

These people are killing the Gold Coast Titans. Simple as that.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Really? What a f*cktart :boo: No. Just... no... :boo:
    Aiming for the title farthest away fan

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    These people are killing the Gold Coast Titans. Simple as that.
    Its been said before but essentially now that the top 8 is out of the question we need to keep losing to put pressure on the place to remove Cartwright. I hate saying that but it's true.

This is the reason I will be boycotting every home game where Zillman is selected at Fullback
    #itaintweaktospeak

And I didnt think Carty could make me dislike him more than I already did. Well done you mug.

What an absolute joke.

This club sucks and getting worse. I followed the panthers years before the titans came on the scene and it was a HUGE decision to make to follow another team , but of late i am really questioning why i changed and i am having thoughts of dumping this rabble of a club for panthers again, why did i change in the first place? ****in over it.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Not sure why he is saying you can't just up and leave a contract - he wouldn't be the first, just plead homesickness...
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    This club sucks and getting worse. I followed the panthers years before the titans came on the scene and it was a HUGE decision to make to follow another team , but of late i am really questioning why i changed and i am having thoughts of dumping this rabble of a club for panthers again, why did i change in the first place? ****in over it.
    Yep I followed Broncos before switching to Titans in 09. Now I am seriously considering abandoning this mess of a club. I may have to change my username if this crap continues. Had enough TBH.

And the downward spiral continues.

The simple truth is Zillman wont walk away from his massive contract, and neither he should. I wish I was paid overs to perform unders.

Anyway, the issue is team selection, which means Cartwright and his "always have a place for Zillman in the team" is the issue at play.

I know it's probably getting a bit repetitive for the regulars on the forum, but raise the issue through the public appeal for change thread because it looks like it's our best option, and it also sounds like it might starting to be getting some traction. Now is the time to maintain the rage peeps.

I would be spewing if Meady left, but also leaving a club just because you don't get to play your preferred position isn't the best attitude to have either. Not that I think it is his attitude, just that I would rather think that he was prepared to wait it out and become a Titans legend a bit further down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    The simple truth is Zillman wont walk away from his massive contract, and neither he should. I wish I was paid overs to perform unders.

Anyway, the issue is team selection, which means Cartwright and his "always have a place for Zillman in the team" is the issue at play.

I know it's probably getting a bit repetitive for the regulars on the forum, but raise the issue through the public appeal for change thread because it looks like it's our best option, and it also sounds like it might starting to be getting some traction. Now is the time to maintain the rage peeps.

I would be spewing if Meady left, but also leaving a club just because you don't get to play your preferred position isn't the best attitude to have either. Not that I think it is his attitude, just that I would rather think that he was prepared to wait it out and become a Titans legend a bit further down the track.
    i agree to an extent mate, but as far as Meady has been told, Zillman can continue to play as poor as he is and WILL BE the fullback for the entire year, and Mead could be Jarryd Hayne in disguise and he woudnt get picked. Its about rewarding performance and driving standards forwards. Or in this case, not rewarding performance and pissing off a club favourite.