Default Gold Coast Titans need the support of their fans to break losing streak and build hom

EMMA GREENWOOD GOLD COAST BULLETIN JUNE 22, 2014 6:36PM
    BE THE FIRST TO RESPOND

TITANS chief executive Graham Annesley has conceded team performance will be the major driver for crowds heading back to the club’s Robina base.

The Titans regained some ground in the battle for the Coast’s footy fans yesterday when a crowd of 12,189 turned out to watch their 19-18 loss to St George Illawarra at Cbus Super Stadium. It was almost 6000 more than the 6497 fans who turned out last Monday night — the worst home crowd in the club’s history — to a poorly scheduled Origin-affected clash against Melbourne Storm.

Poor scheduling, a lack of parking and transport options and one of the warmest winters on record aside, performance is the key to the numbers game.

After losing their past five games, the Titans had a job convincing fans to leave the comfort of their living rooms to watch two struggling teams run around yesterday.

While the Titans were pleased with the bounceback, Annesley said improved performance was the key to winning over footy fans.

“It’s great to see people come to the game to see people support the players,’’ Annesley said.

“We’d obviously like to see larger crowds but the fact that we’re on a losing streak isn’t helping that.’’

“I’ve got to be completely honest and suggest that makes it harder for the fans to get enthused when the team isn’t winning but I was obviously happy to see a much larger crowd (yesterday than last week).

“In my time in the game over 20-odd years, the only real correlation I ever saw in the growth or decline in crowds was team performance. When teams are performing well, people come out of the woodwork, when they’re not playing as well, they’re less motivated to come out and support.’’

A sixth consecutive loss should ring alarm bells for the Titans, who now face a genuine threat from the AFL’s Suns for the hearts and wallets of the Coast’s footy fans.

The Suns have had their fair share of AFL fans since the beginning — although their best crowds have tended to be against the league’s biggest sides where opposition fans often outnumbered those in the red and gold.

— with the team little more than a novelty for casual fans.

But their rapid improvement this year has led to bolstered interest, with almost 40,000 heading to Metricon Stadium for the club’s past two home matches against Sydney and Geelong.

And with the team pushing towards a maiden finals berth, those numbers are likely to continue to strengthen.

It’s not a fact lost on Coach Guy McKenna noted the AFL’s likely joy at 21,354 fans turning out to a game between non-traditional AFL powers Sydney and the Gold Coast a fortnight ago.

“The pleasing thing for the AFL I would’ve thought is 21,000 people turned up, which is fantastic for AFL on the Coast,’’ McKenna said.

“It says a lot about how we’re tracking as well because our numbers haven’t been super given our journey but you play a brand of football … and it’s worth coming to see.’’

But Annesley has faith in his team to turn things around.

“They players have got to turn it around and I’m sure they’re fully aware of that,’’ he said.

“If we are to salvage something out of the season it has to happen very quickly now.’’

- - - Updated - - -

So am i reading that its the fans fault we are losing because of poor crowd numbers ,,,,,,, yet not one word about the Coach...

AFL will never sway me because i don't like the game but there are thousands of people heading to Metricon because they are Winning & their crowds will grow massively if they continue on their way of Winning themselves into the Semi's something this club has Zero chance of doing as long as Fartwright is the coach..
    #itaintweaktospeak

I wish it was as simple as that Pete - it's not just because they are winning, it's because they are genuinely exciting and they are engaging with the Gold Coast youngsters in a very real way.

I agree with you 100%, the on-field product the AFL dish up is not a patch on a game of Rugby League (AFL is still 7000x times more entertaining than Rugby Union but that's another matter...) but the young suns are fresh, fast and exciting and they have a red hot crack every single week. When they lose they are being beaten in high scoring free flowing games.

Even when our team wins we aren't fast and exciting. Our most engaging players are stuck in positions that never get the ball and our cult heroes (I'm thinking Don and James) are languishing in the Q Cup.

And don't get me started on parking. With Robina Town Centre just around the corner and situated next to the train station Skilled is way easier to get to than Metricon where it is all park and ride.

Annersley is right. The on field product has to improve. That he can see that and do nothing is all the evidence you need that he is a lame duck CEO who does not wield any real power.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    I wish it was as simple as that Pete - it's not just because they are winning, it's because they are genuinely exciting and they are engaging with the Gold Coast youngsters in a very real way.

I agree with you 100%, the on-field product the AFL dish up is not a patch on a game of Rugby League (AFL is still 7000x times more entertaining than Rugby Union but that's another matter...) but the young suns are fresh, fast and exciting and they have a red hot crack every single week. When they lose they are being beaten in high scoring free flowing games.

Even when our team wins we aren't fast and exciting. Our most engaging players are stuck in positions that never get the ball and our cult heroes (I'm thinking Don and James) are languishing in the Q Cup.

And don't get me started on parking. With Robina Town Centre just around the corner and situated next to the train station Skilled is way easier to get to than Metricon where it is all park and ride.

Annersley is right. The on field product has to improve. That he can see that and do nothing is all the evidence you need that he is a lame duck CEO who does not wield any real power.
    Agree 100% karnage. He can continue to SAY what he thinks the supporters want to hear but its time for him to DO. Actions speak louder than words. They clean up all this off field bull**** we have been forced to ensure for years and the on field results will come. And you are right about the suns. Win or lose you know they have the best possible team on the field giving their all....cant say the same for us.

Very well said, karnage.

Banned

i think the biggest problem we face is that majority of gold coast residents arent overly passionate about each individual sport. this allows a sport like afl to get a leg up because it is run much better. the gc population as a whole reacts better to the better product in my opinion and its hard to argue the suns dont offer a better overall package. i love league and the titans but its the sad realisation that ive come to recently. we arent run well and its affecting our reputation which is turning the public away. doesnt help that the suns are on the verge of playing in their first finals campaign this year while we probably wont get near 8th place by seasons end.

Spot on Karnage. As I established in another thread, The Board and CEO have no power and it is obvious Searle makes all the decisions. Until we lessen his power its all downhill. Just how far downhill does he want to take it?
    From a bloke I almost had as hero status when he set the club up, I now have him alongside my list of most despised people. How laughable it is that at one stage he was mentioned as the next NRL CEO. Fortunately many people that count had better knowledge of him.

My enjoyment from AFL comes in two ways - watching my kids play it and gambling on it. It is a great betting medium. The Suns are borderline chance to play finals - if they make it they only have to win one game to equal our output since our inception in 2007.

This is the part we never get around to discussing.

Of all the damning things you can say about Carty's record how about the fact that he has won ONE final (a home win v the 5th placed Warriors) in EIGHT YEARS!!! That is worse than any 30% win loss because you can have that over this period of time and still have won a comp!!

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add some perspective to that, the Chargers won a final the year before they were kicked out!!! The Titans record is worse than the Chargers because they have been around longer!!

Just to add some perspective to that, the Chargers won a final the year before they were kicked out!!! The Titans record is worse than the Chargers because they have been around longer!!
    Wow

just f**king wow
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Banned

the chargers only existed for 3 years and still got as many finals wins as us. the seagulls went 6 seasons without making finals and we will be up to 4 if we miss finals this year...

Mr Annersley wants us to listen to him and go back and support the Titans.

Mr Annersley listen to us first you need to
    1. Move Micheal Searle on as he is a cancer on the business.
    2. Rebuild the Junior Developement team.
    3. Move John Cartwright on for his good and the good of the team and the Organisation as a whole.

What you will get In return is
    1. New and old corporate partners slowly commingled back to Rugby League and the Titans on the coast increasing sponsorship revenue.
    2. Young Local Rugby League players seeing genuine Developement and pathways.
    3. Most importantly more fans will turn to Membership / Revenue for the club of the club starts to win and the selections of players are on merit not tenure.

To show that you are truly here for the good of the Titans and a Rugby League team on the coast you need to address at least points 1 and 3.

Mr Annersley you made tough calls as a Ref and as the Chief Opperating Officer with the NRL This year is the year to make those tough calls. Otherwise if the SUNS make the finals and nothing changes with the Titans AT ALL then the Titans will die a slow death.

Mr Annersley wants us to listen to him and go back and support the Titans.

Mr Annersley listen to us first you need to
    1. Move Micheal Searle on as he is a cancer on the business.
    2. Rebuild the Junior Developement team.
    3. Move John Cartwright on for his good and the good of the team and the Organisation as a whole.

What you will get In return is
    1. New and old corporate partners slowly commingled back to Rugby League and the Titans on the coast increasing sponsorship revenue.
    2. Young Local Rugby League players seeing genuine Developement and pathways.
    3. Most importantly more fans will turn to Membership / Revenue for the club of the club starts to win and the selections of players are on merit not tenure.

To show that you are truly here for the good of the Titans and a Rugby League team on the coast you need to address at least points 1 and 3.

Mr Annersley you made tough calls as a Ref and as the Chief Opperating Officer with the NRL This year is the year to make those tough calls. Otherwise if the SUNS make the finals and nothing changes with the Titans AT ALL then the Titans will die a slow death.