Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright is fighting to save his job as the Titans’ season sinks
    PETER BADEL
    THE COURIER-MAIL
    JULY 17, 2014
    12:00AM

BESIEGED Gold Coast coach John Cartwright is fighting to save his job, with an end-of-season review to determine his future at the misfiring Titans.

Angry Titans fans have also launched a public campaign for reform, selling “Sack Carty” merchandise in a growing sign of supporter disenchantment.

Cartwright is contracted until the end of 2016. But the Titans’ fourth consecutive season of mediocrity has left him firmly in the firing line.

Titans chief executive Graham Annesley told The Courier-Mail that the club’s board would conduct a sweeping review of operations at season’s end.

The review will not focus specifically on foundation coach Cartwright but the board will examine whether the Titans are stagnating under a coach who last delivered a finals berth in 2010.

The Coast are currently floundering in 13th spot and Newcastle can effectively torpedo their finals hopes with victory this Sunday at Hunter Stadium.

Mindful of a growing backlash, Annesley said the Titans’ four-strong board would cast a forensic eye over the club.

“The board will look at our whole organisation from top to bottom to assess the season,” Annesley said.

“The only thing I can say is that John does have two years of his contract remaining, but at the end of the season the board will review all aspects.

“I don’t think you can ever be satisfied with what you’ve got, but we have to live within our means.

“That’s just a fact of life like any business.”

Veteran prop Luke Bailey underscored the pressure building on Cartwright when he said the club’s recent performances were unfair on long-suffering fans.

Gold Coast hierarchy have done everything possible to assist Cartwright. Last season, at the coach’s behest, the club provided more off-field resources, hiring respected former Cowboys coach Neil Henry to bolster Cartwright’s support staff.

He received a five-year extension after steering the Titans to the preliminary final in 2010. But since then, the Titans have won a wooden spoon and become perennial also-rans, with every annual failure amplifying pressure on the coach.

Financial constraints are one impediment, with the club facing a payout of around $700,000 should they jettison Cartwright at season’s end.

Frustrated fans are demanding change. On the club’s leading supporter website, 89 per cent of fans surveyed want Cartwright dismissed and T-shirts emblazoned with “#SACKCARTY” are being sold for $35.

“I’m aware of that (the Sack Cartwright campaign),” Annesley said.

“Of course the fans are disappointed with recent performances.

“Everyone is disappointed with our season, but we can’t kneejerk on these things.

“We have to make sure we take a complete look at the business and make decisions that are going to put us in a better position going forward.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...ailrugbyleague

Wayne Bennett isn't the answer. Newcastle are nowhere either.
    Rather than poo poo what may or may not happen, why don't we be thankful that something IS going to happen.

We've all been asking for it and now it's come and already people are voicing their concerns at what won't happen. I'm afraid my crystal ball isn't that good. I'm just happy operations are being reviewed. The main issue with any real change will be financial constraints preventing things from happening. But that is nothing new. Tough decisions need to be made.

I can't wait till it's completed. That will probably be the time I decide whether it's worth continuing to support the club or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rj62 View Post
    Rather than poo poo what may or may not happen, why don't we be thankful that something IS going to happen.

We've all been asking for it and now it's come and already people are voicing their concerns at what won't happen. I'm afraid my crystal ball isn't that good. I'm just happy operations are being reviewed. The main issue with any real change will be financial constraints preventing things from happening. But that is nothing new. Tough decisions need to be made.

I can't wait till it's completed. That will probably be the time I decide whether it's worth continuing to support the club or not.
    I agree mostly with you,but the Newcastle thing is well off the mark just remember what turmoil Tinkler caused that club makes Searle look like a choir boy.

Firstly, let's try and remain positive, because as both karnage and rj62 have accurately stated, we have asked for change, this message has been heard, the board has publicly acknowledged this and has agreed change is needed. This is exactly what we were asking for, so let's not get ahead of ourselves or think that Michael Searle is going to suddenly cut his best mate loose.

We need to remain upbeat and positive, but lets also remain realistic.

The #sackCarty campaign is getting media coverage, so well done to karnage for that effort.

We are making the noise, it is being heard, we have a public message from the board.

Let's not give up hope, let's not give up the fight, let's not give up on saving the Titans, because at the end of the day that is what these campaigns are all about.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Firstly, let's try and remain positive, because as both karnage and rj62 have accurately stated, we have asked for change, this message has been heard, the board has publicly acknowledged this and has agreed change is needed. This is exactly what we were asking for, so let's not get ahead of ourselves or think that Michael Searle is going to suddenly cut his best mate loose.

We need to remain upbeat and positive, but lets also remain realistic.

The #sackCarty campaign is getting media coverage, so well done to karnage for that effort.

We are making the noise, it is being heard, we have a public message from the board.

Let's not give up hope, let's not give up the fight, let's not give up on saving the Titans, because at the end of the day that is what these campaigns are all about.
    Well said mate!! Spot on. I've gotta say I got a little bit excited when I saw the #sackCarty bit mentioned in the paper today - we are being heard!

Quote Originally Posted by rj62 View Post

Being in N'castle, and watching a hell of a lot of Knights games at all levels, I can tell you Bennett has turned this club around big time on the paddock. The Knights nursery that was systematically dismantled by Brian Smith is back strong. Harold Matts won the comp this year, S.G Ball preliminary Final, NYC coming first, NSW Cup full of veterans and top youngsters, and the Knights were one game of the GF last season. Don't be fooled by the Knights ladder position - The whole Tinkler off field stuff clearly had negative effect on player moral. That's over, and now they are 3-0 and playing well.

I'd take Bennett at a heart beat on the GC. Brilliant coach, and brilliant mind.

Congrats to all involved in the sack Carty campaign. Keep it coming. The Board and media are now listening.

We're being heard and hopefully change is on it's way. Though this will mean it will lead to us dividing. We all know it isn't working but we'll have different ideas on what we need.

Personally I would rather Neil Henry over Wayne Bennett as I think the game has moved beyond Bennett and that he has no vision for the future and is only chasing the cash.

I'd also support Marwan Koukash buying out Searle but some people will have reservations about a billionaire horse owner being in charge after the Tinkler stuff at the Knights.

Whatever happens, we need to assess whether it's better for the club even if it isn't our first preference and not start fighting between ourselves and breaking up our united front
    Last edited by mup23; 17-07-14 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Well said mate!! Spot on. I've gotta say I got a little bit excited when I saw the #sackCarty bit mentioned in the paper today - we are being heard!
    It'll be mentioned in Channel 10 news tonight at about 5:45

When you view the coaching situation in regards to the club actually paying for an offsider for Cartwright, who could be a head coach elsewhere. His performance is appalling. Our club gave him that damned 5 year contract, even upgraded him when Parra had a sniff (I never believed he was a threat of leaving) and then paying for a babysitter for him. It's costing us big time and now other cost factors are coming to bear. People are boycotting the games (Not just for Cartwright reasons, but that is first cab off the rank) This whole situation is killing the club and we can never afford to make such decisions again. I am glad that it is getting media coverage.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Some discussion from other NRL fans generally... The penny is dropping.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/sh...d.php?t=437561

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by mup23 View Post
    It'll be mentioned in Channel 10 news tonight at about 5:45
    Watching now.

Anyone got the video?

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Anyone got the video?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlkB...ature=youtu.be

After the break some on channel 9. Wally says "Cartwright will be happy with the support" or something. er...

Tune in anyway.

Pretty sure I could see Searle's hand in the background working Annersley's mouth
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!