Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gold Coast recruit James Roberts hailed as fastest Titan on the books

From Couriermail.com.au

Todd Balym
    The Courier-Mail
    June 01, 2014 12:00AM

SHAUN McRae has been around top level rugby league for almost 30 years and has never seen a faster player than James Roberts.

Roberts, the Titans’ mid-season recruit, has been back from a broken ankle for three weeks and is tearing up the Intrust Super Cup for Tweed Heads.

McRae is the CEO at the Seagulls and has been impressed by Roberts since he joined the club.

“He is lightning quick, one of the quickest players I’ve seen in the game, exceptionally fast,” McRae said.

“In terms of sheer pace and anticipation, he is up there with the best players I have worked with in my career.

“He is at another level when it comes to speed.”

But sheer speed will not be enough for Roberts to rocket into the Titans’ NRL team.

With greater depth in the outside backs this season and the Gold Coast likely to be at full strength after next week’s bye, the 21-year-old former Penrith flyer needs strong games, not just flashes of brilliance.

Roberts was sacked by the Panthers after a run of off-field issues, but early signs are that he has got his life in order on the Gold Coast.

McRae said he could not fault anything about the way Roberts had approached his time with their club and they do not expect him to remain in Seagulls colours for much longer.

Roberts will play centre against Sunshine Coast on Monday but could be named in the Titans’ NRL team next week if he produces another good game.

“It’s up to Carty (Titans coach John Cartwright) what he does but I would say with his attitude and the way he is playing, he is certainly heading in that direction, there is no doubt about that,’’ McRae said.

His centre partner at Tweed told me he is the fastest player he has ever seen or played with
    #itaintweaktospeak

Equally important - what is his defence like? I don't really know much about him.

Mr McRae must be on something cause there is noway he is quicker than a 16 yr old Shannon.

Dave had no probs catching him in the panthers game last yr.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Mr McRae must be on something cause there is noway he is quicker than a 16 yr old Shannon.

Lol fancy seeing you commenting in this thread

Doesn't matter how quick he is if Carty doesn't pick him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Lol fancy seeing you commenting in this thread
    should I post your screenshot brah? Lol
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

should I post your screenshot brah? Lol
    If you do I'll post the photo of you and the goat

Shame he couldn't stop him from scoring one of his 3 tries
    #itaintweaktospeak

Yes but Taylor can really motor.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Does anyone know how James went today for Tweed?

James Roberts in line to make NRLdebut against former teammates
    MARGIE MCDONALD THE AUSTRALIAN JUNE 03, 2014 12:00AM

Titan Roberts eyes Panthers reunion
    James Roberts at Titans training on the Gold Coast. Picture: Tim Marsden Source: News Corp Australia
    PENRITH outcast James Roberts is expected to make his debut for Gold Coast when he faces his old club at Cbus Stadium on Saturday night.

The 21-year-old back left the Panthers at the end of March for a two-year deal with the Titans. He had to overcome an ankle injury to resume his NRL career and has been running up a storm with Queensland Cup feeder team Tweed Heads.

“He’s a chance,” Titans coach John Cartwright said. “I’ve got about 20 I’m tossing around so I’m going home to sleep on it. But he’s a definite chance.

“If I play him it’d be in the centres.”

Roberts is facing his old teammates at a key time.

The Panthers are now in clear second spot behind Canterbury, after enjoying a 26-point win over Parramatta last weekend — their third win in a row and seventh for the season.

“We’re not trying to look at the ladder because there’s very little between second and 13th,” New Zealand international Lewis Brown said yesterday.

“Brent Kite has brought so much experience and adds a lot of banter in the video room. Our halves in Peter Wallace and Jamie Soward have played big games and led teams around.

“They are really starting to find their feet as a combination now.”

They will need to be alert to keep tabs on Roberts, who scored 11 tries in his 16 NRL appearances for South Sydney and Penrith.

“His speed and strength are his attributes,” said Panthers centre Dean Whare. “He’s not a big or tall guy but he’d be stronger than 90 per cent of our backs in this club.”

Panthers players yesterday spoke for the first time of wanting to support their own centre, Jamal Idris, in his battle with alcohol and depression. Late last week the club said he had been given indefinite leave to deal with his problems.

“We definitely want to see him come back and play footy with us. We just have to give him some space,” winger Josh Mansour said.

“He’s a champion bloke. Whatever challenge he’s facing now, he’ll win that challenge.

“I can’t wait to see him back on the footy field as soon as possible.”

Cartwright, who coached Idris at the Titans for two years, added to the chorus of support.

“I just want to see him happy and healthy, that’s the main thing,” he said. “If that’s playing football then I hope that’s what he does.”

Cartwright is also expecting the Panthers to keep playing his nephew Bryce after the youngster made his NRL debut against the Eels last Friday.

The 19-year-old touched the ball 13 times in his 32 minutes on the field and made three off-loads as well as busting the line.

“He’s been handled very well too. They haven’t rushed him,” Cartwright said of his Junior Kangaroos nephew.

“They’ve given him plenty of time for his body to develop, playing him in the 20s. And then they give him his debut at home and in front of a big crowd.

“I think he’ll be there against us,” he said of coaching against Bryce for the first time.

“He played well enough that I think he’ll be an NRL player for a while now.”

Link:
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...1226940734392#

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure how true it is, but I saw him training with the Titans on channel 9 news yesterday afternoon

Of course we'll play him in the centres although he's been playing wing and fullback and nor do we need a left wing. Tighe must have lost his goat pics. But then again stranger things have happened ... imagine Roberts running off those units Taylor and Bird on early ball from Blair?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Of course we'll play him in the centres although he's been playing wing and fullback and nor do we need a left wing. Tighe must have lost his goat pics. But then again stranger things have happened ... imagine Roberts running off those units Taylor and Bird on early ball from Blair?
    He has been playing Centre for Tweed but yeah you're right he has only played wing/fullback in NRL

If Roberts comes in to centre...what does that mean for Meady?

it means meady might have to find a number one jersey without a titans logo on it