Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

**** no Taylor. Mal's grudge continues. Why. Why. Why.

So much hinges on GI's health.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Drama-free for eight years, the Maroons reacted to the pressure with a bulging 22-man squad

AH, Queensland — beautiful one day, panic-stricken the next. Or so they’d have you believe.

Drama-free for eight straight years, the cocky Maroons are finally under some pressure.

But on Tuesday they were back doing what they’re best at — theatrics.

One-nil down in the series, missing star halfback Cooper Cronk and facing injury concerns over Greg Inglis, Billy Slater and Daly Cherry-Evans, Queensland delayed their team announcement four hours, only to name a bulging 22-man squad.

Meninga’s 22 Maroons prepared for anything

In the eight straight years of series losses, NSW never once picked a 22-man squad.

But after one home loss and with three players in doubt, Queensland logic dictates you need to pick an extra five players outside your usual 17 for a trip to Sydney to face 84,000 passionate Blues fans demanding a historic victory.

After missing game one with a calf injury, Brisbane forward Sam Thaiday comes back into the side, along with New Zealand Warriors forward Jacob Lillyman and Parramatta centre Willie Tonga, who last played Origin in 2011.

Broncos-bound Canberra fullback Anthony Milford and Broncos halfback Ben Hunt will make their Origin debuts — if they make it past the first round of Maroon auditions set down for later this week.

“We’re taking a little bit of a different tack because of the current injury situation,” Queensland Rugby League chairman Peter Betros said via a statement.

“We normally announce 19 players but because of the uncertainty over several players we’re going to announce 22 players. As the week goes on and the injury situation becomes clearer, Mal (Meninga) will finalise the team and get it down to the required number.”

Fox Sports NRL expert Jimmy Smith says he expects Greg Inglis to play in Origin 2 despite scans showing fluid build up in his sprained ankle.

The massive Origin II squad means the Maroons are either full of self-doubt or preparing an almighty ambush as they get back to their days of playing the underdog.

The TAB tightened NSW from $1.80 to $1.70 and eased Queensland from $2.05 out to $2.20 as their eight-year hold on the Origin shield becomes shakier by the day.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Why pick Lillyman??
    Because interchange benches should have prop forwards on them.

As a NSW supporter I've been truly dumbfounded how for years now the Blues have had a policy of filling the interchange bench with "mobile back rowers". Meanwhile, QLD would stick with the tried and tested NRL policy of having at least two props on their interchange bench. And year after year you would notice the difference when the Blues' starting props were having a rest.

The main thing that gives me hope that the Maroons recent dominance may finally becoming to an end is that by choice or a lack of decent front rowers they have started to do the same thing. While NSW hasn't wised up, at least it is no longer advantage QLD.
    Last edited by Numbers; 09-06-14 at 11:08 PM.

Queensland depth problems are being exposed.

Bring on more QLD NRL teams!

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
    Because interchange benches should have prop forwards on them.

As a NSW supporter I've been truly dumbfounded how for years now the Blues have had a policy of filling the interchange bench with "mobile back rowers". Meanwhile, QLD would stick with the tried and tested NRL policy of having at least two props on their interchange bench. And year after year you would notice the difference when the Blues' starting props were having a rest.

The main thing that gives me hope that the Maroons recent dominance may finally becoming to an end is that by choice or a lack of decent front rowers they have started to do the same thing. While NSW hasn't wised up, at least it is no longer advantage QLD.
    I know you need a prop on the bench but why Lillyman. He is OLD! We need Taylor, McGuire or Lawrence to replace him. Queensland needs to start looking towards the future otherwise the blues are going to kill us from our lack of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    I know you need a prop on the bench but why Lillyman. He is OLD!
    I think you are being a bit harsh on Lillyman.

Given that props regularly play well in to their mid-30s nowadays I don't think he is too old. Having turned 30 just over three months ago (born March 1984) he is not much more than a year older than Matthew Scott (born July 1985) and he is signed to the Warriors through to the end of the 2017 season.

As for his form (mins played, runs, metres, tackles, missed tackles from nrlstats.com and sorry but I don't know how to get the columns to line up nicely!):

1 Eels 41 15 123 13 1
    2 Dragons 37 15 124 20
    3 Cowboys 43 17 155 25
    4 Tigers 48 13 118 21
    5 Sharks 50 14 143 27 1
    6 Bulldogs 58 11 102 31 1
    7 Dragons 54 15 126 23 1
    8 Storm 48 18 171 24 4
    9 Raiders 49 13 104 16 1
    10 Bulldogs 53 17 142 37
    11 Titans 52 18 149 16
    12 Knights 54 14 132 21 1
    13 Rabbitohs 38 9 83 23 1

So, in averaging 48.1 minutes he is making 14.5 runs for 128.6 metres (8.8 metres a carry) and making 22.8 tackles while missing 1.4. No, he isn't going to give you any offloads, but the converse of that is he hardly ever makes an error (2 in 13 games) or concedes a penalty (3 in 13 games).

As I suggested in my previous post, as a NSW supporter, I'm glad QLD didn't pick him for game 1 and I'll be happy if they leave him out again.

PS I certainly agree that McGuire should have been in the squad - but not at the expense of Lillyman but one of the ubiquitous backrowers.
    Last edited by Numbers; 10-06-14 at 10:24 AM.

Papalli is out so I can see McGuire coming in to the side..

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathonbcode View Post
    Papalli is out so I can see McGuire coming in to the side..
    Isn't 21 players enough already
    #itaintweaktospeak

Not sad to see Papalli out.
    I'll give it some time and see what they settle on.
    I would've liked to see Taylor in there, but glad he will be there against the Storm. I'll put him down for a double in my betting.

NSW VB Blues

Jarryd Hayne - Parramatta Eels
    Will Hopoate - Parramatta Eels
    Josh Dugan - St George Illawarra Dragons
    Michael Jennings - Sydney Roosters
    Daniel Tupou - Sydney Roosters
    Josh Reynolds - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
    Trent Hodkinson - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
    Paul Gallen - Cronulla Sutherland Sharks (c)
    Robbie Farah - Wests Tigers
    Aaron Woods - Wests Tigers
    Ryan Hoffman - Melbourne Storm
    Beau Scott - Newcastle Knights
    Greg Bird - Gold Coast Titans

James Tamou - North Queensland Cowboys
    Anthony Watmough - Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
    Trent Merrin - St George Illawarra Dragons
    Luke Lewis - Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    NSW VB Blues

Jarryd Hayne - Parramatta Eels
    Will Hopoate - Parramatta Eels
    Josh Dugan - St George Illawarra Dragons
    Michael Jennings - Sydney Roosters
    Daniel Tupou - Sydney Roosters
    Josh Reynolds - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
    Trent Hodkinson - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
    Paul Gallen - Cronulla Sutherland Sharks (c)
    Robbie Farah - Wests Tigers
    Aaron Woods - Wests Tigers
    Ryan Hoffman - Melbourne Storm
    Beau Scott - Newcastle Knights
    Greg Bird - Gold Coast Titans

James Tamou - North Queensland Cowboys
    Anthony Watmough - Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
    Trent Merrin - St George Illawarra Dragons
    Luke Lewis - Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
    I'm a bit eh on Dugan playing centre, just because he beat a reserve grade Cronulla Sharks side...doesn't mean anything at all. I can see Cherry Evans and JT targeting the hell out of Dugan..but you would hope Laurie is wise enough to swap Hoppa and Dugan around at times during the game. Greg Bird coming back in to the side is a massive plus for the NSW side, if we had Fifita in this side, we would win by at least 10 to 12 points but NSW have it in them to win this game *knock on wood*

I see Papalii being out of the Maroons side as a plus (I don't wish injury upon anyone). QLD will be stronger with a Taylor or a Mcguire, or Lillyman in the side.

GO THE BLUES!!!

Strong side by the Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Strong side by the Blues.
    I agree to an extent...see, I think it would have been better to have Stewart on the wing and Hoppa in the centre role.

Taylor in.