Default Nathan Friend was ditched by Titans due to a dodgy shoulder but Warriors...

TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN MAY 26, 2014 12:05PM
    BE THE FIRST TO RESPOND

HE was shown the door by the Titans because of his dodgy shoulders and a booming rookie, but Warriors hooker Nathan Friend has been tipped to become “like Steve Menzies” and play until he’s 39.

Friend was dynamite from dummy-half in New Zealand’s 24-16 win over the Titans at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday night as the Warriors recorded their seventh straight win over the Gold Coast.

Friend has never lost against his old club since leaving at the end of 2011 and has hit a purple patch of form in the past month.

The Titans baulked at re-signing Friend because of question marks over his shoulders and the emergence of Matt Srama.

But the 33-year-old rake has found his feet in Auckland, *recently signing a one-year extension and revealing he had no plans of hanging up the boots.

“You’d love to be at one club for eight or nine years, it’d be great,” Friend said of the Titans.

“We were pretty settled here (Gold Coast) and had some great friends, but now we’ve moved over there (New Zealand) we’re in the same boat.

“We’ve got some really good friends in the area and my wife’s (Kelly) very happy. Life’s good.

“The Warriors gave me the opportunity three years ago and I’m glad they did.”

Friend’s performance on his old home ground rubbed further salt into the Gold Coast’s wounds after they lost starting hooker Beau Falloon (back) after just 15 minutes.

But his return to form has been a long time coming.

Friend has had numerous *operations on his shoulders, and the surgery has not been entirely successful.

He has nerve damage in one of them and battles constant numbness and weakness.

The deltoid muscle has shut off and he isn’t sure it will come back despite nerve grafting.

The feeling hasn’t come back yet but I’ve got used to the numbness,” he said.

Friend was no certainty to be playing for the Warriors this season because of last year’s shoulder problems.

But he battled into 2014 and new coach Andrew McFadden rewarded him with an extension into next year just days after being granted the role.

“He’s a professional. He looks after himself,” McFadden said.

“There’s no reason why he can’t even play longer.

“He’s got a year to go next year but he’s one of those guys who could be like a Steve Menzies and play until he’s 38 or 39. He’s such a professional.”
    #itaintweaktospeak

I was really sad to see Friend leave. He was such a massive part of the Titans in my mind.

I wish him all the success in the world.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I was really sad to see Friend leave. He was such a massive part of the Titans in my mind.

I wish him all the success in the world.
    Ditto.

Remembering back, at that time we had confidence that our coaching system could bring players through ... hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

From my memory of it, it seemed personal. I miss Friend, didn't back him leaving...