Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

My missus doesn't know much about footy even though she has come to games with me for a couple of years. However she heard the team on the tv news and straight away asked where is Don and why is Mead not the fullback. She then went on a rant about the team being structured to just fit Zillman in.
    I think she expected me to argue with her but I had no answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    No doubt that Penrith are a good side but that have had a pretty easy draw. Here are the teams they have beaten:
    Raiders x2 (14th)
    Knights x2 (15th)
    Bulldogs (1st)
    Eels (7th)
    Titans (10th)
    I think we are due. Players have been trying hard without the key cattle on the park. Bird, Myles & Albert back's a BIG boost. Penrith are not much chop.

Geez I hope Roberts gets a run. If not this week, it's got to be soon.

Zillman getting run around the other week was enough for me to see that not even his supposed speed is a valid reason to have him in 1st grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    My missus doesn't know much about footy even though she has come to games with me for a couple of years. However she heard the team on the tv news and straight away asked where is Don and why is Mead not the fullback. She then went on a rant about the team being structured to just fit Zillman in.
    I think she expected me to argue with her but I had no answers.
    I hope you've wifed her

She knows whats up

If u are picking a team on form & performance then the 1st winger chosen is Don , if Zillman is playing fullback then that leaves one spot for either Mead or Gordon & that's a no contest Gordon tries his luck for Burleigh, Roberts has to play & start put Taka back to the bench with Minichello going back to Tweed....that team beats Penrith..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Interesting to see that roberts prefers centre a lot more than wing so hopefully he can get a run

Default Redemption ahead from speedster James Roberts in Gold Coast Titans debut against Penr

A GUT feeling from Gold Coast coach John Cartwright could see speedster James Roberts pitched into his Titans debut against the latest club to sack him.

Roberts has been named 18th man for Saturday’s clash against in-form Penrith at Cbus Super Stadium.

The 21-year-old could be the fastest player in the NRL but has only shown glimpses of what he’s capable of in his three appearances for Tweed Heads since returning from a serious ankle injury.

But Cartwright has seen enough in the lightning-quick back to possibly hand him his first Titans jersey against the club that sacked him in March for off-field issues.

Roberts had previously been booted by South Sydney for similar problems and has only played 16 NRL games since debuting in 2011.

Wingers Kalifa Faifai Loa and Anthony Don have been omitted from the squad and Cartwright said he was yet to decide if he would blood *Roberts.

“He’s very close but he’s only had the three games back at Q-Cup level,” he said.

“He’s handled those really well but sometimes you’ve got to go with your gut and we’ll do that when we get closer to the game.

“We’ll discuss it between now and Saturday.”

It would be a major roll of the dice if Cartwright played Roberts given the versatile talent has shown he’s short of a gallop with Tweed. He’s rotated between the wing, centre and fullback for the Seagulls and while he’s had some good touches, his involvement still isn’t at the level it needs to be.

Roberts has been highly rated since his schoolboys days but hasn’t been able to turn that into consistent NRL form and Cartwright said he hoped expectations weren’t high.

“He was a bit of a boom youngster but the fact is he’s only played a handful of first- grade games,” Cartwright said.

“We certainly don’t expect a lot of him and we want to make sure the timing’s right for him to go into the side.”

The Titans have a history of turning former bad boys into NRL stars with Greg Bird, Nate Myles and Albert Kelly flourishing at the club.

Roberts has tried to keep a low profile since arriving on the Gold Coast and his *manager, Daryl Mather, said he always had ambitions of playing for the club.

“He’s enjoying the move immensely,” Mather said.

Kelly will return to the team at half-back and partner Maurice Blair in the halves.

The versatile Blair has been chosen ahead of Beau Henry and Cartwright said it was a tough decision.

Myles and Paul Carter were again quarantined from the squad yesterday as they battle illness

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 04-06-14 at 02:24 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Anyne considering who will mark Mansour? I know it's Mead's wing but he will need help, a lot of help.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Anyne considering who will mark Mansour? I know it's Mead's wing but he will need help, a lot of help.
    wingers don't run at wingers very often, they are usually impacted by centres. Mansour is a one trick pony, just kick the ball in his direction and watch him melt
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Titans find Tighe that binds

By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    5:30pm Wed 04th June, 2014

The Titans are on the verge of handing their finals aspirations to a group of outcasts who have become united in their bid to prove to the NRL that their talents will not go to waste.

Halfback Albert Kelly was the first of the quartet to arrive on the Gold Coast in late 2012 having been sacked by both Cronulla and Newcastle while James Roberts was handed a lifeline in March after failed stints at both South Sydney and Penrith.

Maurice Blair was the most high-profile signing of the Titans' off-season but found himself on the wrong side of the law before even playing his first game for the club and Brad Tighe was whisked onto the first Virgin Australia flight out of Sydney headed for the Gold Coast in a trade-type deal to get Jamal Idris back closer to his family in western Sydney.

Tighe played alongside Blair at Penrith in 2008-2009 and formed a close friendship with Roberts last year and along with Kelly the quartet have formed an almost inseparable bond both on and off the field.

Although daughter Ella consumes much of his spare time, Tighe often tries to instigate catch-ups over coffee and says all four are excited at the prospect of playing in first grade together, perhaps as early as Saturday night.

Named as 18th man, Roberts trained at both left and right centre during Wednesday's team run as he nears his maiden appearance for the Titans and Tighe believes the bond they share will transfer to even better performances on the field.

"With James and Maurice Blair and Alby we've grown pretty close since we've been up here and developed a bit of a relationship," Tighe said ahead of facing his former club for the first time.

"We've grown to be good mates here and that's what we want to do, we want to play at the highest level and play together so if we get that opportunity and a chance to do it I think we're going to love it.

"You need that, you need that bond and friendship so you can have that sort of trust on the field and I think up here they've definitely got it.

"A lot of the boys have that mateship away from footy so we trust each other on the field and it shows every week with how we work for each other."

A shoulder injury suffered in Round 5 against Melbourne meant that Tighe didn't make the trip back to Penrith in Round 7 so he is excited at the prospect of seeing some faces who were teammates on January 7 and then opposition players 24 hours later.

He left his home in Penrith at 4am on January 8 in order to make a Titans fitness session that morning and has quickly become an important senior player at the club.

"He's a fantastic senior player," said Titans coach John Cartwright. "As professional as any guy you would ever see. Unfortunate that he's been injured with us down in Melbourne, he was just starting to find his feet, scored a couple of tries, defensively very sound but he's certainly a player that other guys can learn off.

"He's been great for James Roberts; they're very close from their days at Penrith and a leader. That's what we brought him here for and he's given us all that."

Thirty-year-old Tighe saw first-hand over the past 12 months the development of precocious talents in Roberts and Panthers fullback Matt Moylan. Hopeful of having Roberts coming off a five-man bench to join him in the Titans' starting team, Tighe pointed to Moylan as the man Gold Coast have to find a way to contain on Saturday night.

"I knew what sort of talent he was and it was only a matter of time before he got in there and became a regular first-grader," Tighe said of Moylan, with whom he was close friends during his time at Penrith.

"[His rise] wasn't unexpected at all. He's going to go on to bigger and better things and I think he might play Origin the next couple of years if he keeps going.

"He can pop up anywhere, he can ball-play, he can kick so we've got to be good on our kick-chase, get down and get numbers in and dominate those early tackles with him.

"It's a big job for us on the weekend; he's going to keep us on our toes."

Both the Titans and Panthers have surprised many pundits with their various stints near the top of the table in the first half of the season but Tighe insists that there is work being done at Penrith that will make them a force for many years to come.

During the week the club announced the re-signing of Josh Mansour and the signing of Rabbitohs hooker Apisai Koroisau and can solidify their place in the top four with a win over Gold Coast.

"I know how hard they work down there and what sort of stuff gets done behind the scenes so they're going to be a force to be reckoned with in the next couple of years and even this year," he said.

"They're starting to play some good footy and we've got to be on our game this week and playing our best footy to beat them."

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    wingers don't run at wingers very often, they are usually impacted by centres. Mansour is a one trick pony, just kick the ball in his direction and watch him melt
    I very much hope you're right.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Gold Coast Titans forward Nate Myles declares himself a “certain starter” in the team’s showdown against the Panthers this weekend

A BATTERED and bruised Nate Myles has declared himself a certain starter against the Panthers and tipped fellow co-captain Greg Bird to dominate in his return to action.

Myles has been in the wars recently, copping a nasty knock to his left hand in State of Origin I last week before coming down with a virus.

He hasn’t hit the paddock since starring in Queensland’s loss to NSW and will run on to Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday with his hand heavily strapped.

“I was crook the other day. I came down with something Saturday but I’m all good now,” Myles said. “The hand was a bit swollen after (Origin) but it’s better now.

“It’s come back down to normal size and I’m starting to get some strength back in it which is good.

“I don’t know (what happened to it). I have no idea. I could feel it early in the first half and it blew up after that.

“There’s nothing major (wrong with it). I don’t think it’s going to repair quickly but I think it’ll be all right to play. It’s just a management thing.”

Myles was Queensland’s best forward in Game One, running for over 120m and making 26 tackles in the four-point loss.

His return to the Titans will be welcome as the club *attempts to snap a three-game losing streak against the NRL’s in-form team.

Bird will also return to the fold alongside half-back Albert Kelly while speedster James Roberts is a strong chance of making his Titans debut.

Bird missed the past two losses as well as NSW’s gutsy win due to suspension and Myles said he was expecting a big-game from the Blues *certainty.

“Birds’s due for a big performance to give him some confidence before they pick him again in the Blues side,” he said.

“That’s the way Birdy is.

“He’s not going to feel like he owes anyone but he’s going to want to go out and play some great footy. I’m sure he’ll do everything he can to do that.”

The Titans were equal leaders after eight rounds before hitting a bad patch of form.

They’ve lost key personnel in the past few weeks, including five-eighth Aidan Sezer for at least three months, and Myles said he wanted to see the Gold Coast return to their early-season form.

“We’re down a few troops but the last few weeks our football hasn’t been fantastic,” he said. “We need to get our heads back up and play some constructive footy.”

The Panthers are on a three-game winning streak and are sitting second on the ladder.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I very much hope you're right.
    In saying that Im not expecting a win, and Mansour should get a double
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Strange to face nephew: Titans NRL coach

Penrith youngster Bryce Cartwright could find himself off his uncle John's Christmas card list if he delivers a starring role for the Panthers on Saturday.

The 19-year-old back-rower made his NRL debut in the Panthers' 38-12 win over Parramatta last week and will travel north to take on John Cartwright's Gold Coast outfit in Robina.

John, a premiership-winning forward with the Panthers, admits it seems odd coaching against his brother David's son, who he remembers mostly as a little boy running around in the backyard.

"It is a strange feeling," Cartwright said.

"They've done a great job with him actually. They haven't rushed him in; they've given him plenty of time to find his feet.

"On Saturday, he'll be just another guy in a black jumper but, after the game, I might either punch him or cuddle him. We'll have to wait and see."

John said he was impressed by Bryce's confidence in his NRL debut, and said he showed a dangerous ability to find a way to offload the football.

That victory over the Eels lifted the in-form Panthers to second on the ladder with seven wins from 11 matches.

The Titans' coach says a lot of that has to do with the kicking options provided by new halves combination Peter Wallace and Jamie Soward.

"They're taking advantage of probably the best kicking game in the competition with Wallace and Soward," John said.

"They don't seem to be doing much but you look at the scoreboard and they're 18-20 points in front. I dare say they think they can improve a lot.

"We've got to try and nullify their opportunities with that kicking game ... we've just got to be desperate.

http://sport.msn.co.nz/

Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers

Cbus Super Stadium, Robina, Saturday 5.30pm (AEST)

Last meeting: Round 7 2014 - Panthers 14 bt Titans 12 at Sportingbet Stadium

Head-to-head: Titans 4 Panthers 6

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Grant Atkins

TV: Live, FoxSports 1

Ladbrokes: Titans $2.15, Panthers $1.70

Betfair: Titans $2.24, Panthers $1.78

Michael Chammas writes: If results go their way, Penrith could be on top of the table with a win against the Titans. They've won three in a row but this will be their biggest test. This will be close but the Panthers might just scrape home.

Tip: Panthers by 1

AAP writes: An intriguing clash between the two season surprise packets. Penrith are deservedly sitting second and, unaffected by Origin, they can almost cement a finals berth over this period. After their early-season march to the top of the ladder, the Titans desperately need a win after last week's bye was preceded by three successive losses. Penrith enjoyed an easy kill against a Hayne-less Eels - this will be a sterner test. The Titans welcome back Greg Bird, Nate Myles, Kevin Gordon, Albert Kelly and Brad Takairangi, while the Panthers are unchanged. Penrith defeated the Titans 14-12 in an gritty round-seven clash.

Key: Bird is back and, make no mistake, he will be angry. Hopefully, for NSW's sake, that will be controlled aggression.
    TITANS: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Brad Tighe, Brad Takairangi, David Mead, Maurice Blair, Albert Kelly, Luke Douglas, Matt Srama, Nate Myles (capt), Greg Bird (capt), David Taylor, Ben Ridge. Interchange: Matthew White, Luke Bailey, Mark Minichiello, Paul Carter, James Roberts (one to be omitted).

PANTHERS: Matt Moylan, Josh Mansour, Dean Whare, Isaah Yeo, David Simmons, Jamie Soward, Peter Wallace, Sam Mckendry, James Segeyaro, Brent Kite, Sika Manu, Tyrone Peachey, Elijah Taylor. Interchange: Lewis Brown, Jeremy Latimore, Nigel Plum, Bryce Cartwright.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz33mOn0CK1

Its quite strange leading up to this game for me. On one hand I am furious about the Mead situation and the way the club is going and on the other hand I have now got the halves comination that I wanted to see and quite looking forward to the game.
    If I just accept that the club is schizophrenic I could handle it all a lot better.