Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Roberts only being considered for a centre spot according to Carty (as per the article in the 'Australian', originally posted by indoallstars), in which case Tighe on the wing? I'd rather Gordon if fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Titans goal-kickers in Fantasy land

By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    6:00am Tue 03rd June, 2014

Holden NRL Fantasy coaches with either Kevin Gordon or William Zillman in their squads may be in for an unexpected boost with the Titans facing the prospect of using a fourth-string goal-kicker against the Panthers on Saturday evening.

Coming off the bye and without a win since Round 8, the Titans are in desperate need of the two competition points to maintain pace with the top eight but their success may be reliant on a goal-kicker who has never converted two points in their career.

Neither Gordon nor Zillman has had a kick at goal in first grade in 239 games between them but with the long-term injury to Aidan Sezer, a foot problem that Greg Bird says rules him out of contention and the uncertainty of five-eighth Beau Henry's place in the team, either man could get the call-up.

Maurice Blair has a 100 per cent success rate in the NRL (one-from-one) but coach John Cartwright insists that goal-kicking proficiency won't be a factor at Tuesday's selection meeting.

"We'll pick a side first and then we'll find a goal-kicker if we have to," Cartwright said.

"Kevvie Gordon can kick a goal, he's probably up there; William Zillman can kick a goal so there are a few guys there that can kick goals."

With two points on offer for every successful kick at goal in NRL Fantasy, it will only take a few opportunities from close to the posts for either Gordon or Zillman to give their match average a significant boost.

Heading into Round 13 Gordon is averaging just 16.44 Fantasy points per game while Zillman sits at 11.71 points with a highest score of 24.

The Titans are one of nine teams separated by just two points as we near the halfway mark of the Telstra Premiership and goal-kicking could be vital against a Panthers team with the second best defence in the competition.

Less than two months ago the Titans sat atop the ladder and co-captain Greg Bird – whose goal-kicking suggestion consisted only of "Hopefully not Kevin Gordon" – believes it is the tightest premiership race that he has seen in his 12 seasons in the NRL.

"This is the pivotal part of the season really," said Bird.

"I actually haven't seen a ladder this congested after this many games but at the same time we can either go one way or another.

"The teams in that congestion can fight their way to the top or fall out the back and we don't want to be the ones who fall out the back so we've got to get back on the winning train again and start getting back up there."

With the Panthers flying high on the back of a three-game winning streak and the Titans trying to arrest three successive losses, Cartwright knows the importance of getting one over his old club on Saturday night.

"It appears to be that there's not as large a gap between the top sides and the bottom sides," was Cartwright's summation of the ladder logjam.

"The top sides have been beating each other – outside of the Dogs – but outside that there's probably two points between eight or nine teams.

"It's a bit early to be looking at the ladder but you know if you're winning games you can go from where we are to the top very quickly.

"It's very important for us to go out this week and make sure three losses in a row is only three losses in a row. We need to get back on the winning board and as we know that can lead to more wins down the track."

Cartwright should consider swapping Gordon for Kahn Arwang if there is a serious kicking issue..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Expecting to see:

1. Zillman ... what a cluster fark
    2. Roberts ... I don't care what Cartwright says, he couldn't be that stupid surely.
    3. Takairangi ... playing him left because he plays right
    4. Mead ... fitting him in to avoid a public lynching
    5. Don ... can't drop him now
    6. Blair ... because he reads the paper
    7. Kelly ... expecting Henry on the bench

What I would love to see:

1. Mead
    2. Roberts
    3. Tighe
    4. Takairangi
    5. Don
    6. Blair
    7. Kelly

and the rest? Take your pick but I suppose I can expect:

8. Douglas
    9. Srama
    10. Myles
    11. Bird
    12. Ridge
    13. Carter

14. Bailey
    15. White
    16. Taylor
    17. Minichiello

But I would prefer:

8. Douglas
    9. Srama
    10. Myles
    11. Taylor
    12. Ridge
    13. Bird

14. Bailey
    15. White
    16. Ioane
    17. Carter
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Like your squad titanic, but i wouldnt be too upset if Carter got the gig instead of Ridge. Even playing right edge so bird can play lock. he was really strong defending there last game.

but its the backs where we need help.

No problem BT both are fine by me but I was considering our fabulous rotation. He'll get Gordon back in there somehow and it'll all look the same ole same ole ... I haven't even mentioned James, he must be about to raise his head again too ... maybe he can kick goals and as for Zillman kicking goals, of course the Total Package, how could I forget?
    Last edited by Titanic; 03-06-14 at 11:51 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

The team v Panthers, round 13:

1 - William Zillman

2 – Kevin Gordon

3 – Brad Tighe

4 – Brad Takairangi

5 – David Mead

6 – Maurice Blair

7 - Albert Kelly

8 - Luke Douglas

9 – Matt Srama

10 – Nate Myles (capt)

11 – Greg Bird (capt)

12 – David Taylor

13 – Ben Ridge

INTERCHANGE

14 – Matthew White

15 – Luke Bailey

16 – Mark Minichiello

17 – Paul Carter

18 – James Roberts

WTF is going on with Carty only one hooker named ?

hopefully roberts gets a run
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Carter will be coming off the bench at hooker, and I'd say Roberts will drop off the bench unless Gordon or Taka pull up sore during the week.

Not surprised by this line-up at all.

Zillman getting a run ahead of Don is disgusting.

You have got to be kidding me, where is Don?! The man who has won us his fair share of games in 2014.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Id rather Mead get dropped tbh
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Although I am unhappy about Mead not being selected at the back and Don being dropped, it is good to see Carty selecting Blair at 5/8 and Mead won't let us down on the wing. Hope someone in the back 5 gets injured and Roberts comes in. Average team but I would like to see Mead FB and I agree that Don doesn't deserve to be dropped for Zillman.

Don dropped, that'll do me.

- - - Updated - - -

I also wouldn't blame Mead if he got up and left after having to make way for an underdone Zillman.

We would be better off without Zillman altogether.

The coach drop a form player.

The coach plays favourites.

All of these horrible selections are because of Carty's desire to keep Zillman happy. Incredibly frustrating.

Why is Don dropped and Roberts is promoted to the extended bench ahead of him? Does that illustrate where he is on the picking order?
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    All of these horrible selections are because of Carty's desire to keep Zillman happy. Incredibly frustrating.
    Exactly right.