Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Kelly's confidence takes a beating

Halfback Albert Kelly is suffering a crisis of confidence at the worst possible time for the Titans as he battles on with a leg injury and his side continues their free fall down the Telstra Premiership table.

Self-confessed dumb errors in the second half of their clash with the Panthers at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday night gifted the visitors three tries and saw the Titans suffer a fourth straight defeat with their enigmatic halfback lacking his usual spark.

Kelly suffered a fracture to his left leg in their Round 8 win over the Wests Tigers and received on-field treatment against Penrith after copping a knock in the 17th minute and played on in obvious discomfort.

In the first five weeks of the competition Kelly ran for more than 100 metres in each game (with a top of 259m in Round 1) and scored five tries but ran for just 52m against Penrith and appeared a shadow of the player that had carried the Titans to the top of the table.

"It's obviously knocked about," co-captain Greg Bird said of Kelly's confidence. "He's not playing the razzle-dazzle football we were playing at the start of the year.

"I don't know whether that's off the back of the forwards not getting forward and getting momentum in our attack or the fact that he's coming off an injury but it's obvious that he's struggling with the confidence."

Kelly left the sheds with ice strapped to his left leg but coach John Cartwright said that going into the game he had been given a clean bill of health.

"He went into the game fine so I don't know the extent of any injury he copped today," Cartwright said. "I'll have to talk to the medical staff but he went into the game 100 per cent.

"When you lose games your confidence suffers and that's where we are at the moment. The last three games we've been there and thereabouts to win the game and doing all the hard things to win the game and in critical moments the other team's been better than us.

"I really don't think that scoreboard tonight was a true reflection of how the game was. It was pretty hard-fought and there were some dumb errors and often you don't get punished by points when you make some dumb errors but they punished us three times and come up with 18 points."

With five-eighth Aidan Sezer not expected back until the finals with a pectoral injury the Titans desperately need for Kelly to rediscover the magic, preferably before their Monday night clash with the Storm at Cbus Super Stadium in Round 14.

Both teams will be without their Origin representatives but Cartwright is conscious of the importance of the game in the context of which way their 2014 finals prospects head.

"It's a tough period this part of the year and we're going into it with our confidence down and no wins on the board," he said.

"One win can change your season around and we've got a game against Melbourne where both sides are going to be down on troops and it's a very important game in terms of where our season sits."

The Titans are 6-6 at the halfway point of the season and after winning five of their first six, Bird admitted that his side have failed to keep pace with the rest of the competition.

"Everyone's improved and I don't know whether at the start of the year we took it for granted that we were going to be one of the teams there at the end by winning a few games but we haven't improved. Everyone's gone past us at the moment," Bird said.

"We still won those games at the start of the year and they're on the board now and they can't take those points away from us but if we start falling behind too much now it's going to be too far at the end of the year."

http://www.nrl.com/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blair View Post
    I find it quite ironic that back when this website was run by the club, you guys *****ed that they cut ties with this website after expressing your opinions. Yet when I express my own I get insulted and banned, excluded from having a say in the team I support. It's petty and childish if you ask me.

What more should I expect from a bunch of hypocritical patsy's

I do not expect you to share or agree with my opinions but have the common decency to respect my views.

I'm being the bigger person here by accepting that your overreaction was just in the heat of the moment response to the loss. Hopefully some will display the maturity and intellect as I have.

Regards, Ryan.

- - - Updated - - -

If I wanted to hurt myself, I'd climb your ego and jump down to your IQ.
    i would respect your opinion if you were speaking your true opinion, but you basically singled one player out and said rest were alright, clearly aiming to push buttons. Do you deny this? If that is your honest opinion and you thought Kelly who was injured was alright and others who were well down on form were alright, but the player with most run metres was very poor and is over paid, then I'm afraid it will be hard to respect that opinion.

If you want any respect you should admit it was a troll post to stir people up.

Well of course I'd like to be coming first on the ladder, have the quality of the storm's spine and have the likes of Bennett as coach.

But as you know we don't have that luxury.

We have a decent squad and a decent coach.

The last thing us non first graders should do is sit behind the keyboard and criticise those players and officials that put in each week. Do you think they enjoy losing?

We haven't stepped in their shoes at all.

Of course the players and officials have room for improvement. Even us fans do.

We need to support them, as nobody's perfect.

I'm assuming your apologising because you've come to the sudden realisation that I'm right.
    No, I certainly do not think you are right. But you have an entitlement to an opinion and the right to express it. Your first post was so far away from what every one on here and most on Facebook think so I thought you were trolling.
    We have a decent squad as you say but we do not have a decent coach. Most people will accept that this team is poorly coached and read this thread and others on here if you want some general reasons why. There is no point me repeating myself here.
    How do you know some of us haven't stepped in their shoes? Regardless why can't we have an opinion whether we have played or not. I have followed the game for 40 years and have a fair idea what makes clubs successful.
    But if you are happy with the poorly coached club, a CEO running the place with his hands tied behind his back, then enjoy the ride.
    Just ask yourself whether, bearing in mind the comments here and on Facebook at the moment, whether it might be possible that you are on the wrong bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Blair View Post
    After watching tonight's performance, Mead may as well go. It's not worth paying overs for him like we currently do. He bombed two gifted tries and was caught shirt grabbing the opposition which led Yeo to a Sunday stroll. We have better players in the club that can play the positions he's currently assigned to as well better players in that position he wants to be in so badly.

The rest of the team played alright though.
    Love your sense of humour.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

TLDR; time for change. #SACKCARTY #MEAD>ZILLAMAN

While i do not agree with them, i for one respect the views of Mr Blair (trolling or not) and i think it's pretty fair to say his opinions regarding the team are representative of, if not shared by a surprisingly significant portion of the wider GC TITANS fan-base (as the official fb page makes clear).

Like it or not, some fans of our club DO think Carty is the answer and DO think Zillman is our best fb etc. This to me, is most alarming - and like someone said on the fb page, is a big reason why the titans are becoming a joke in the rugby league community. As if it's not enough to have the coach we have, making the selections he does, we've also got a significant part of our own supporter base drinking the kool-aid, defending the oh-so ridiculous decisions that are being made/not being made from within our club, and thus perpetuating the kind of cascading failure that manifests into what we hear every week ... "it was a tough loss, but there's always next round / next game / next year" - whether from the post-match press conference, or from "fans" on the fb page (by-and-large) alike.

Rather than get into IQ/d*ck measuring contests, or simple sh*t slanging matches, with these "fans" I'd actually love to hear why they think Cartwright is the best coach to take our team to a Grand Final in the foreseeable future, and shouldn't be sacked immediately. I'd like to hear why they think 7years of underwhelming results aren't grounds enough to confirm the obvious. I'd like to know what it is about Zillman that makes him a better candidate for the fullback spot than Mead (or Roberts, or Don)? I'd like to know how they hope the club will secure NEW fans with the kind of footy we've played for 3+ seasons at least.

The fact is, if Madge, Des, Belly, Wayne or any other NRL coach spent 7 years at ANY club with 1 finals appearance, 1 spoon and an overwhelming stretch of mediocre, boring, uninspiring footy, with minimal long-term improvement, minimal talent development, and minimal promotion of home-grown local juniors (despite having a more than respectable squad on paper, and a fertile talent catchment area for a large majority of this time); there would be constant blow up in the media, fan upheaval, and most certainly there would be boardroom ACTION (not talk, not pay increases, not back-slapping)! Unfortunately, the only reason no one outside of the GC Fanbase kicks up a stink about Carty sticking around for so long, is that its now widely accepted that we're a struggling club off the park, as much as on it. Our back office has a history of being shifty and appears to still look like a shambles. Anyone who knows anything about business or rugby league (and isn't related to/personal friends with Carty, Searle, or anyone else employed by, or with a vested financial interest in the current status quo of the club) can surely see that. The new board will look just as gutless as that which has come before it, if it can't find the wisdom to do what needs to be done.

I wouldn't be so bold as to argue that fans who champion Zillman, Carty, Searle etc are 'stupid,' or that they don't love the club as much as those 'real fans' who want change - yet the opposite seems true, that plenty of fb fans: real GC Titans fans seem to think #SACKCARTY or #MEAD>ZILLMAN (i made that last one up) is about being a fair-weather fan. Since when did entertainment, success or development become too much to ask of your professional sporting cub in exchange for your ongoing support (which for many is a lot more than disposable income?). I'm sure young kids just starting to watch/play footy, who are only now deciding which team to swear their allegiance too, much like future investors, potential signings, and everyday people deciding how to part with their hard earned on the weekend - would expect more of each of these things from our club if we are to stay relevant.

Nothing is ever as good as a Titans win - but geez losses are getting easier to deal with as they continue to push Cartwright and Zillman closer to the door...

Also, I would add that if said "true titans fans" who would stick by Carty, Zilly and co. through endless mediocrity/failure - for love of their club, regardless of meaningless things like results, success or dare i say entertainment - that's great. they're great fans and i respect them, but they should be considered 'money in the bank' no?

Surely their passion for the club (regardless of what they have vested interest in, or who they're related to / friends with) would ensure their continued support through the next era of Titan's history anyway? If fan opinion holds any sway in the board room (i'd be very surprised if it did) then that of our many blind supporters would count for little i would think. As for pure Searle / Zillman / Carty fans, who would jump off the bandwagon as soon as any of these blokes were replaced... do they exist? Mr Ryan, is it a 'Carty & Zilly' or nothing deal for you personally? Do you not think the team could be better with a new coach/fullback? Do the players and fans not deserve the opportunity to find out if an alternative approach might work?

I would've thought that the dwindling crowd numbers would've sufficiently communicated a strong message to the new board (and the blind fans), by now. Maybe that's too optimistic. At what point does breaking existing contracts become necessary 'for the good of the club?' has that discussion even figured into any planning going forward? Can/would anybody from the Titans outfit be willing to answer that?

I remember a time not so long ago that the CEO of this club would come on this forum himself, and face up to some of the hard questions that were being asked - or atleast attempt to. Those days are long gone, and it appears the road ahead is a long, frustrating, shrouded one for Titans Fans who see through the Searle/Carty/Zillman myth.

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    I remember a time not so long ago that the CEO of this club would come on this forum himself, and face up to some of the hard questions that were being asked - or atleast attempt to. Those days are long gone, and it appears the road ahead is a long, frustrating, shrouded one for Titans Fans who see through the Searle/Carty/Zillman myth.
    Both of your posts KI2G are top class and pretty much reflect my views. In relation to the Board, I think it's an "Advisory Board" which means they are not a Board. For a start a Board of 4 is ridiculously small but great if someone wants to control it.
    We also remember when the ex CEO went to the UK to sign Tomkins and was stopped in his tracks. We all know by who and why. Tomkins is still finding his feet with the Warriors but still shows more in every game than Zilly.
    I have been a Titanium member since day 1 but they are not getting $1100 out of me next year unless they give me and my family some indication of hope for the future. It's in their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Of course Ryan Blair...

Can't wait for post #2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Blair View Post
    Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. In case you didn't pick up on it, it means you're stupid. You're in no position to be condescending towards me you inferior minded cretin. Now if you don't mind I'm taking the crayon out of my mouth and going to bed.
    Sorry, you backed up worse than Zillman on a bad night. Very disappointing.

I find it quite ironic that back when this website was run by the club, you guys *****ed that they cut ties with this website after expressing your opinions. Yet when I express my own I get insulted and banned, excluded from having a say in the team I support.
    I agree, and this is a fair and valid point. IMO part of the problem this forum has faced is it has become something of a "boys" club, and it does tend to shout down contrary views and opinions, but we also know when someone is deliberately baiting the forum, of which you choose to mix the two so you can cry foul when you are banned for one. Much like an old afl fan we knew and didn't love.

If I wanted to hurt myself, I'd climb your ego and jump down to your IQ.
    I like that one, i will try and use it one day.

Well of course I'd like to be coming first on the ladder, have the quality of the storm's spine and have the likes of Bennett as coach.

But as you know we don't have that luxury.

We have a decent squad and a decent coach.
    We have a GREAT team, and a sub-standard coach who is out of his league at this level. He would be a decent Q Cup coach.

I'm assuming your apologising because you've come to the sudden realisation that I'm right.
    And then you go and prove to us all what a tool/troll you are deep down...

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Just back from the game and have read all the comments - can't disagree with many.
    Not a good word to say about any of them except Dave Taylor who tried his guts out. Kelly a shocker but he was not alone. We all agree that the coach is useless and a couple of little things that happen just add weight to that view. For example why would we tap the ball (twice it happened) when you get a penalty 35-40 metres out rather than kick it out and start from the 20. If that's not the signed of a #### coach what is. Just simple basics.
    As usual we made a couple of breaks tonight on early tackles but the following play is a hit up - pressure off, go figure.
    The worst thing for me is that Penrith were there to be beaten tonight, they were quite poor on occasions but put us away easily.
    Just where is this clown of a coach and Searle going to take us. While on Searle I noticed an article in the paper today about juniors and it mentioned our recruitment person Tom Searle. Where will it end.
    Maybe they've changed focus. By getting family and friends on board for the cash grab before the club goes **** up? The only reason I mention that is because the quality of footy they're producing doesn't seem to matter to them anymore.

Anyway, off to watch the game before I read anymore of this thread.
    Last edited by Toads; 08-06-14 at 01:20 PM.

Is Cartwrong blind? I was watching the game at the pub drinking a couple of beers with the sound off and it was obvious even to me Kelly was majorly injured when his grubber got charged down, Peneith ran the length and he barely chased.

Any coach with a brain would have hooked Kelly then or earlier to protect him from further injury as the game was gone.

What othe coach has ever been given 7.5 YEARS with such poor results? Our blind fans are hurting the club in a way by accepting this crap status quo. We got lucky at the start of the year beating some out of form or injury ravaged teams with fluke 90m tries but everyone else has improved a lot and we have not at all.

I can't remember us scoring off a structured play inside opposition 20 all year. The backs are so lateral and all going in the same direction. When the likes of Harrison doesn't get in the way on the fourth tackle with a no impact ball hog hit up. What a joke!

We actually gave this clown a PAY RISE last year, what a piss take. We should have been praying for another team to do a Ricky Stuart for us and "steal" Carty compensation free.

As for playing Thrillman at fullback last night, surely the old boys club mentality is now obvious! The total package nickname is laughable. The ladies must have nicknamed him that in the bedroom or something because if that is what passes for the total package on a footy field these days that'll do me!
    Last edited by The Birdman; 08-06-14 at 09:40 AM.

Anyone saying the coach is not to blame and it's the players. Has never experienced a truly great coach and I feel sorry for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Rep Player

Great work Carty. Cant even be bothered anymore going on about Zillman. Too old, too slow, flat footed a complete detriment to the team. Membership cancelled for next year unless we have a new coach and our best 17 plays. Its not fair on the fans to expect mediocrity and I'm sick of giving money for this to continue. Ah wells always next week......unless zillman is at fullback

Banned

Why do people jump to conclusions.

I never said Zillman is the best option at Fullback. I believe James Roberts will be the long term choice. I do think Zillman is the best fullback at the moment. He's certainly a better fullback than Mead. He's also more complete and skill full player than him. He offers more on the field and off it with his leadership and competitive nature. Mead is just another Nathan Merrit, overrated by fans. Where as Zillman would of had Slater's test jersey by now if it weren't for injuries.

BTW I don't think Mead is a bad player per say, but he isn't as good as everyone makes him out to be.
    Mead reminds me of Peyroux, he can't pass or defuse bombs. He's future position is in the centres or back row.

Titans 2015 spine.
    1. Roberts
    6. Zillman
    7. Sezer
    9. Carter
    14. Kelly as back up hooker/half. He's a game breaker which is why we should let him be our super sub. Let him come into the game in short bursts like when Presto used to.

Wow, what a interesting thread.

I watched the game 'n read the thread. But it appears everything has already been said 'n I got nothing to add to it.

Well, apart from appreciating the entertainment provided by our new comedian, and that kick**** post by KI2G. Those two post by KI2G need to be printed out and slapped onto the Boardroom table of Titans HQ for all Board Members to see. Well said, Man.
    Last edited by Toads; 08-06-14 at 01:53 PM.

I can't even bring myself to debate any further as to why Zillman's only place is on the fitness staff or in QCup and under this coach Sezer has gone way way way backwards.

1. Mead
    6. Blair
    7. Kelly when fit otherwise Henry
    9. Moseley (Penrith)
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.