Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    312

    Default Trams on the Gold Coast

    Opinion is pretty divided on this topic but I think it is a great step for the city. It'll certainly help tourists get around the hot spots such as Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach. It was revealed yesterday that stage 2 (connecting to the train line) is likely to be approved in the next six months or so. Here are some pictures of tests they are conducting in Southport at the moment and a video link at the bottom.





    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrR4r6bnmCs

    So what do you think about it? Lets remember they are planning an extension to Robina stadium in the future...

  2. #2
    Administrator DIEHARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brisbane / HK
    Posts
    35,176

    Default

    I've never heard anyone refer to them as "Trams"

    Originally Posted by Moejoe
    REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!

    Member: TITANS, DIEHARDS, LONDON BRONCOS, WEST COAST PIRATES, HKRL
    NUTS

  3. #3

    Default

    Stage 2 will be part of the next state election posturing!

  4. #4
    Captain Bayside Titan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Skilled Park- S4
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    I think that long term they will be a good investment for the City. It will help with the Public Transport problems that exist. In my view the fact that there will designated Stations and a Time Table that can for the most part be relied upon will be great. Additionally if the council has say 20 buses servicing that line then it could be argued that those buses be moved to other routes to increase the buses in high use Routes.

  5. #5
    Kangaroo Titanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Nanjing
    Posts
    7,658

    Default

    no reason why buses can't connect to the tram stations ... like them a lot.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    312

    Default Gold Coast Light Rail

    I know people are split on this topic so I thought I'd see what people on here think about it. If you don't know, the Gold Coast has recently built a light rail network (trams) that runs from Southport, through Main Beach and Surfers Paradise before finishing on Broadbeach. It is due to open to the public in June (June 2 apparently). Clearly the network has been made mostly for tourists and students (most northern stop is Griffith Uni) and it makes sense economically considering tourism is the biggest contributor to the Gold Coast economy.

    Now obviously Melbourne is the city known for their trams but this isn't quite the copycat move it may appear to be. Sydney is also building a light rail network through their CBD and Perth isn't far away either. Adelaide already has a tram network for anyone who doesn't know. So you can see most major Australian cities are turning to the trams to develop their transport network.

    The local paper often runs stories about the negatives with the light rail network without writing about the potential positives. Biased reporting is nothing new though. People driving on the tracks is a concern though...

    I think the Gold Coast public will slowly warm to the network over the next 2-3 years and in about 5 years time we'll wonder how we ever lived without it. I suppose it's a bit like the Titans in that sense. I honestly can't believe we used to live in a city with no national sports teams but it wasn't that long ago that this was the case.

    Anyway, what do you guys think?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Here is a picture of a tram passing through Surfers Paradise (Cavill Ave to be specific) for anyone who doesn't know what it looks like.


  7. #7

    Default

    WOFTAM. The cost is $1.8billion. Would have got many buses for a fraction of this cost. This supposedly was built to ease future traffic congestion however will not make one bit of difference.
    I would like a wager that the second stage will never happen.

  8. #8
    Captain Toads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    I'm all for progress on the Coast, but this is the biggest stuff up that I've seen in my time. The negative publicity is justified, because it's probably going to cost twice as much to remove it in 10-15 years time.

    As Mexican Titan said, heaps cheaper to update/upgrade the Bus System, and still have change for something like a Sky Rail from the Coast to the Hinterland or similar sort of projects to reinvigorate the Coasts infrastructure.

  9. #9
    Coach C-Whiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Nerang, Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    WOFTAM. The cost is $1.8billion.
    That's outrageous. I guess Tom Tate pocketed about half of that in kick-backs.

    Would have got many buses for a fraction of this cost. This supposedly was built to ease future traffic congestion however will not make one bit of difference.
    I would like a wager that the second stage will never happen.
    BS, traffic is gonna be worse, already is. I know people say "it's not finished" but it will continue to swallow up more road space (parking space) as they realise it needs more room to operate safely, and I can already see the tiny one way laneway through Surfers being closed to vehicle traffic because it will just be too dangerous. Same goes for parts of Southport. Some of Southport is already off limits to cars.

    I am all for the idea of what it is meant to be, but like most things GCCC planning and approved, it is a class A far cup.

    The route is wrong, and it doesn't solve the whole issue of leaving your car at home. It just means we drive and park somewhere else, and they haven't got parking close to the tram stops. In fact, most of the parking that was around has been removed to make way for the trams. Tourists and shoppers might like it, but that will hardly solve the extra traffic congestion this is creating.

    Great idea, crap planning and execution.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    WOFTAM. The cost is $1.8billion. Would have got many buses for a fraction of this cost. This supposedly was built to ease future traffic congestion however will not make one bit of difference.
    I would like a wager that the second stage will never happen.
    Pretty harsh to say it's a waste of money before it's even opened. The cost may be $1.8billion (haven't seen that officially reported anywhere. source?) for the 13km route but it doesn't seem to be that bad considering Sydney's new 12km tram line is predicted to cost $1.6billion. Just seems to be the standard cost of building light rail these days.

    If you look at the Translink site you'll find the bus system is being completely overhauled and will no longer have any buses running along the tram route. This means less buses on the road through Southport, Main Beach, Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach while more attention will be given to other routes through the addition of more buses. Surely having less buses on the GC Highway will ease congestion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    I'm all for progress on the Coast, but this is the biggest stuff up that I've seen in my time. The negative publicity is justified, because it's probably going to cost twice as much to remove it in 10-15 years time.

    As Mexican Titan said, heaps cheaper to update/upgrade the Bus System, and still have change for something like a Sky Rail from the Coast to the Hinterland or similar sort of projects to reinvigorate the Coasts infrastructure.
    You really believe they will remove it in 10-15 years? Look at the Monorail in Broadbeach as an example of something that simply cost too much to pull down.

    Buying/adding more buses would just result in more congestion. Do we really want gridlock in the future?

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    That's outrageous. I guess Tom Tate pocketed about half of that in kick-backs.

    BS, traffic is gonna be worse, already is. I know people say "it's not finished" but it will continue to swallow up more road space (parking space) as they realise it needs more room to operate safely, and I can already see the tiny one way laneway through Surfers being closed to vehicle traffic because it will just be too dangerous. Same goes for parts of Southport. Some of Southport is already off limits to cars.

    I am all for the idea of what it is meant to be, but like most things GCCC planning and approved, it is a class A far cup.

    The route is wrong, and it doesn't solve the whole issue of leaving your car at home. It just means we drive and park somewhere else, and they haven't got parking close to the tram stops. In fact, most of the parking that was around has been removed to make way for the trams. Tourists and shoppers might like it, but that will hardly solve the extra traffic congestion this is creating.

    Great idea, crap planning and execution.
    How could you possibly know traffic is going to be worse? You say it'll take up road space but if you drive along the GC Highway these days it is 2 lanes through Broadbeach up to Southport which was the exact same amount of lanes they had before the tram line was installed. How often do people drive through Surfers Paradise Boulevard anyway? It's not like it's a major road that requires four lanes.

    I agree the parking needs to improve. They MUST build car parks near the tram stops if they expect the locals to use the system.
    Last edited by CoastSportsFan; 23-05-14 at 03:14 AM.

  11. #11
    Captain Toads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post

    You really believe they will remove it in 10-15 years? Look at the Monorail in Broadbeach as an example of something that simply cost too much to pull down.
    CSF, how long have you lived on the Coast? I the reason I ask, is because it'd be interesting to know how long you've seen the place develop. If you've been around long enough you may develop an idea what works and what doesn't. Please don't tell me you're another Melbournite that's been here a couple of years and start proclaiming you know what'll work best for the Coast.

    Anyway, the thing with Broadbeach Monorail. It doesn't foul up the roads. Whereas the Light Rail is in direct competition with the already congested streets along the Strip. As Whiz said, great idea just in the wrong place. So once the novelty of the Light Rail wears off, and it starts losing money hand over fist. They will most likely have to rip up in time to get traffic flowing again to the best of it's ability.

    Until then, it's going to be another white elephant project that'll cost Ratepayers for many years to come. Because it won't even get close to balancing the books itself.

  12. #12
    Coach C-Whiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Nerang, Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    CSF, how long have you lived on the Coast?
    You say you are born and bred Queenslander, can you please give us a break down of how long you have lived where in Qld? Just to be fair, I am born and bred Gold Coaster, have lived in Sydney and NSW, Melbourne ( and around Victoria) and WA for in excess of 12 months each, but spent my first 17 years on the GC and the past 15 years on the GC. I have been to every Capital city in Australia, a lot of VERY regional places in Australia, I have crossed the Nullabor. I say all this because I have traveled, I have seen ALL the states and Capitals of Australia and lived in 4 states for over a year, so I am not some redneck Qld'er speaking without a view on the World. I have been on the Melbourne tram system, which the roads and traffic have been designed AROUND, and I have traveled on the recently pulled down Sydney monorail, that didn't affect traffic and still they pulled it down because it wasn't worth having.

    Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    Pretty harsh to say it's a waste of money before it's even opened. The cost may be $1.8billion (haven't seen that officially reported anywhere. source?) for the 13km route but it doesn't seem to be that bad considering Sydney's new 12km tram line is predicted to cost $1.6billion. Just seems to be the standard cost of building light rail these days.
    $1.8BILLION is a waste of money! It's tracks are laid on exisitng roadways. I had no idea it would cost anywhere near that. The only significant cost i expected was for the bridge at Southport. Standard cost? Where do you pull this BS from.

    If you look at the Translink site you'll find the bus system is being completely overhauled and will no longer have any buses running along the tram route. This means less buses on the road through Southport, Main Beach, Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach while more attention will be given to other routes through the addition of more buses. Surely having less buses on the GC Highway will ease congestion?
    No mate, it means EVERY SINGLE PERSON who doesn't use the tram will now have to use private transport to get into/out of/around these places. Nightmare scenario. And those who do WANT to use the tram now have to find a way to get to a tram station, which means more inconveinience. Tell me who you think is actually going to find using a tram more convinient? Sure, some tourists might find it fun and novel, but please tell us how many local people are going to want to drive to a bus stop, get on a bus to take them to a tram station so they can catch a tram into a place where they previously could just drive to? And how much will all this "convieniance" cost each time you "want" to use it?



    You really believe they will remove it in 10-15 years? Look at the Monorail in Broadbeach as an example of something that simply cost too much to pull down.
    This shows the stupidity of most of your comments. using your logic, because it is too expensive to pull something down that was a waste of money to put up, in your mind it makes it valid.
    Buying/adding more buses would just result in more congestion. Do we really want gridlock in the future?
    I don't want gridlock in the present or in the future, but we have it now and I can;t see it getting better. As I said, what will happen is once this starts to affect more and more people, the GCCC will "redesign" the roads to try and rectify their lack of planning, which will result in more traffic issues while it is done. The simple fact is, they cannot widen roads around/through Surfers, and every time they add something to the roads, whether cafe strips, garden beds, or tram tracks, it reduces the actual road space, and the first thing to go is parking which means tradies/couriers/suppliers who keep the tourist strip running can't get in/around Surfers.


    How could you possibly know traffic is going to be worse? You say it'll take up road space but if you drive along the GC Highway these days it is 2 lanes through Broadbeach up to Southport which was the exact same amount of lanes they had before the tram line was installed. How often do people drive through Surfers Paradise Boulevard anyway? It's not like it's a major road that requires four lanes.
    You are a moron on most matters, and this just adds to the list. I drive in/around there about 4-5 times a day. What about you? When was the last time you HAD to drive into Surfers? And find a park in the middle of Surfers? Not in a carpark, but outside a venue somewhere on a road? When was the last time you tried driving through Southport CBD, with one way streets, no right/left turns, full roads closed, etc, where it used to be 2 ways and you could get to ANYWHERE in Southport in your car?

    I agree the parking needs to improve. They MUST build car parks near the tram stops if they expect the locals to use the system.
    In your feeble mind, where do you think they are magically going to build car parks near the tram stations? I know from most of your posts that you either go and find a lot of "facts" to support an argument, or failing that option you just spout BS that you seem ill-informed about.

    As far as how do I know it will be worse? I already do because it already is! I would drive through Surfers (the whole tram network is part of my driving route) at least 10 times a week, weekends included, sometimes spending a whole day in Surfers trying to get from one place to the next. It is currently a nightmare. it won't get better as they start to expand on the tracks with "stations" and now are talking about putting gardens and other "objects" around tracks to stop people walking or driving onto them. All part of the lack of planning that is typical of the GCCC.

    As I said, great idea, typically poor planning and project management from the GCCC means we will all suffer for it. The light rail is a good idea, but putting the tracks right through the main road through Surfers (which is only a goat track anyway) was just dumb.

    What will happen though, is initially everyone will want to ride it, so it will be hailed a "great success", the councillors will all tell themselves what visionaries they are, then give themselves a payrise, and then the next generation will have to spend another billion fixing the mess. Standard political BS.

    Rant over.

    For now.
    Last edited by C-Whiz; 23-05-14 at 08:40 AM.

  13. #13
    Rep Player shamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,738

    Default

    Go Whiz....

  14. #14
    Captain Toads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    You say you are born and bred Queenslander, can you please give us a break down of how long you have lived where in Qld? Just to be fair, I am born and bred Gold Coaster, have lived in Sydney and NSW, Melbourne ( and around Victoria) and WA for in excess of 12 months each, but spent my first 17 years on the GC and the past 15 years on the GC. I have been to every Capital city in Australia, a lot of VERY regional places in Australia, I have crossed the Nullabor. I say all this because I have traveled, I have seen ALL the states and Capitals of Australia and lived in 4 states for over a year, so I am not some redneck Qld'er speaking without a view on the World. I have been on the Melbourne tram system, which the roads and traffic have been designed AROUND, and I have traveled on the recently pulled down Sydney monorail, that didn't affect traffic and still they pulled it down because it wasn't worth having.
    TBH Whiz, what you blurted out there is no interest to me. If you felt the need to get that off your chest, good for you. But if you feel you need something from me that's of any relevance to this topic. I spent 32 years on the Coast (1980-2012).
    Last edited by Toads; 23-05-14 at 09:06 AM.

  15. #15
    Coach C-Whiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Nerang, Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    TBH Whiz, what you blurted out there is no interest to me. If you felt the need to get that off your chest, good for you. But if you feel you need something from me that's of any relevance to this topic. I spent 32 years on the Coast (1980-2012).
    Haha, no mate, I'm asking CSF the same question you asked him.

    No one cares about you Toads. Jokes mate.

    Sorry if it came across as me challenging you about where you are from.

    Just saying, CSF says he's a born and bred Queenslander, but comes across as anything but. Just wanted to state my case before I challenged him on his.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

ABOUT US

    Established in 2005 as the Gold Coast Titans official Chat Forum, we are now known as the League of Titans Independent Website. A place for fans of the Gold Coast Titans to come and touch base with other diehard fans.

QUICK LINKS

FOLLOW US ON

League of Titans designed and cutomised by Matt Glew