Default Sydney’s arenas deserve a sporting chance with an upgrade, says Sport Minister

Sydney’s arenas deserve a sporting chance with an upgrade, says Sport Minister Stuart Ayres

SPORT Minister Stuart Ayres has described Sydney’s stadiums as “tired” and “substandard”, indicating the state government will invest *millions upgrading facilities.

But he said there was “a big question” hanging over the *future of some of Sydney’s “older-style community suburban stadiums’’.

He said the “foundation” to the government’s stadiums plan would be upgrading the Moore Park venues, particularly Allianz, improving Homebush’s ANZ Stadium and planning a new facility for Western Sydney.

“It’s pointless having more stadiums than any other city or state if people don’t want to go to them,’’ he said.

Mr Ayres’ comments dovetail with the NRL’s strategy to play more games in the best stadiums to create a big-match atmosphere like at the Easter Monday clash between the Parramatta Eels and Wests Tigers, which drew 51,000 people to ANZ Stadium.

Only 9000 diehard fans *attended the most recent Tigers match at Leichhardt Oval against the Gold Coast Titans on a wet Sunday.

Mr Ayres, who took over the portfolio last month, said fans expected a high-quality experience — including modern technology and good food and drinks.

“I think it would be a reasonable assessment to say NSW has allowed its sports *infrastructure to slip behind the rest of the nation,’’ he said.

“Our facilities are aged and they don’t always provide the most hospitable environment for you to go and enjoy your favourite sport.

“There’s a bit of nostalgia about sitting on the old grass hill and having a beer or a hot dog ... but if you’re forking out a fair chunk of your fortnightly wage, people want a better *experience than what is offered by those stadiums.’’

He said the 45,000-seat Allianz stadium was a “bit tired and old” and “we have to ask some serious questions about how we get the best bang for our buck out of that stadium”.

At least $286 million in taxpayers’ money has been pumped into stadium upgrades in the past seven years, without a co-ordinated plan.

In the wake of the successful Major League Baseball visit to the new-look SCG, the Penrith-based MP said he wants to also “roll out the red carpet” to more top American sporting franchises, including NFL, ice hockey and basketball teams.

“Sydney provides American sports with a gateway to the Asian market without a lot of the cultural challenges,” he said.

He said he would also talk to the Western Sydney Wanderers about the club’s stadium requirements.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

SFS needs alot of work. But Stadium Australia needs a lot more than just "improvement".

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I didn't bother reading the entire article, but I would say they should look at suburban grounds that keep packing them in, and you realise that big, shiny stadiums are not always the answer. I liked going to Cararra to watch the Titans, because I like being able to stand on a hill, have a can of beer and be close to the footy. Also, there were a lot more food options at much better prices, and I could wander around, kick a footy with my kids etc, and they could walk around and amuse themselves.
    “There’s a bit of nostalgia about sitting on the old grass hill and having a beer or a hot dog ... but if you’re forking out a fair chunk of your fortnightly wage, people want a better *experience than what is offered by those stadiums.’’
    Paying more for a seat, then paying more for your drinks, and then paying more for your food is not the "experience" that fans want.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    I didn't bother reading the entire article, but I would say they should look at suburban grounds that keep packing them in, and you realise that big, shiny stadiums are not always the answer. I liked going to Cararra to watch the Titans, because I like being able to stand on a hill, have a can of beer and be close to the footy. Also, there were a lot more food options at much better prices, and I could wander around, kick a footy with my kids etc, and they could walk around and amuse themselves.
    Paying more for a seat, then paying more for your drinks, and then paying more for your food is not the "experience" that fans want.
    Carrara - close to the footy? What.
    Of course people will not agree with me but anyone who has lived in Sydney will know that for Manly supporters to get to ANZ takes over 2 hours on public transport (unless classed a major event like the GF and special buses run) and getting to the SFS is also a challenge on a Friday night. Money gets poured in to the westie stadiums and of course being central to most of the population they should get a fair cut but Brookie gets FA. The only reason is that the area is blue ribbon Liberal - the Labor party will never get in so not worth it for them and the Libs will get in regardless so they do not need to cough up either. That is with Abbott being the No1 ticket holder and the new NSW Premier being Member for Manly. There has been a pledge of $10m but that will do nothing.
    Rant over.

Is Hockey a Manly supporter too?

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Is Hockey a Manly supporter too?
    He was a fanatical North Sydney supporter when they were in the comp so I would suggest he would not be helpful to our cause!!!
    The way Abbott is copping it I think Hockey might be a chance of being PM before the next election so that might be the final nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Carrara - close to the footy? What.
    I've never sat in a seat in a stand at Carrara. Always stood with mates at one end or the other. True, it's not the closest to a white line you can get, but what i enjoyed was the freedom to roam, find a place to stand, come and go as I please etc, so a closeness in that I felt involved with it, rather than just being a spectator in a seat. Best seat in the house is at home. I go to the footy for atmosphere, catch up with mates (not so much anymore, we all have kids now) and enjoy a beer. At $7.20 for a cup of mid, that is 1 less thing I get to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    He was a fanatical North Sydney supporter when they were in the comp so I would suggest he would not be helpful to our cause!!!
    The way Abbott is copping it I think Hockey might be a chance of being PM before the next election so that might be the final nail.
    Or Turnbull. Wow they all live in North Sydney ey.

I'd like to see Hockey down at some Bears games.

People say North Sydney Oval is lovely. I've never been. Anyone ever been?

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    People say North Sydney Oval is lovely. I've never been. Anyone ever been?
    Turnbull lives in the Eastern Suburbs - not sure whether he follows the Roosters but I would guess he is more in to polo!

Been to North Sydney oval many times. When I lived down there if Manly were not playing on the same day, dad and I would go to North Sydney to watch his Bears. Dad is 82 and never saw Norths win a comp!
    It is a nice oval and had a good atmosphere when there was a good crowd there but it was lousy to watch footy. In addition to being an oval the stands are at weird angles to the field itself i.e none run parrallel to a sideline. Lots of old world charm but we have moved past those places these days. Unfortunately Brookie doesn't even have old world charm......but at least a good side plays there!!