Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'll throw another consideration into this debate.

It started off as just being homosexual, then it was being gay. Now there are about a dozen different options, including one I saw on internet news sites, called "pansexual".

Seriously, give it a rest "intersex" people out there. Just be what ever you want to be and stop putting names and labels all over it, and then being "outraged" when we yawn and say we don't really give a crap about what your sexual preference/body definition/favourite term is about your particular fancy.

What about the term "queer"? It used to mean "strange" or "different".
    Their is actually a term "QUILTBAG" (no, I am not making this stuff up!) for
    QUILTBAG is an acronym. It stands for Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Transgender/Transsexual, Bisexual, Allied/Asexual, Gay/Genderqueer.
    Where did I find the quote? The http://queerdictionary.tumblr.com/ Queer Dictionary! yep, it's a thing!

OK, so what is my point? How far away is queer from freak? I would say not really much of a stretch. So, if the term freak becomes tomorrows term for yesterdays "queer", then must we all stop referring to our favourite players as footy freaks for fear of offending a bunch of QUILTBAG's?

- - - Updated - - -

Back on topic, I still think 2 weeks for saying 'gay" is an over reaction from the NRL who just wanted to be seen to be doing something. If they didn't bring it up to make a point, no one would have probably even noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    It started off as just being homosexual, then it was being gay. Now there are about a dozen different options, including one I saw on internet news sites, called "pansexual".
    Reminds me of a sitcom: "I don't want to know what you are doing with my pans" /joke

Anyway, in my opinion it is a bit of an over reaction. Like C-Whiz said in his previous post, it is a bit of a double standard. It truly bothers me why some words are considered to be offensive, while that particular word inherently might not be insulting. Naturally, it obviously depends on the context and how you take it. I recall in some countries the perception of slightly joking a persons sexual preference/race/nationality/appearance/whatever is OK, and in some other countries definitely a sin. And if someone calls me gay, I really don't care, while someone else might be annoyed with it. And it is not just the word gay, any word would just do it right.

And wasn't one of the lines in the intro song of the Flintstones "have a gay old time" ?
    Aiming for the title farthest away fan

Going on with jist of the topic that's been mentioned by others in the this thread. Maybe if Mitchell Moses replaced the word/s "Gay" with "Pillow Biting" instead. Nothing may have come of it..

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Going on with jist of the topic that's been mentioned by others in the this thread. Maybe if Mitchell Moses replaced the word/s "Gay" with "Pillow Biting" instead. Nothing may have come of it..
    Maybe my original point was lost in there somewhere.
    IMO, I don't think there was any intention of having a reference to homosexuality in any way. I think it was just a throwaway line while in the act of throwing punches.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaserz View Post
    Reminds me of a sitcom: "I don't want to know what you are doing with my pans" /joke
    Reminds me of the old joke, "I'm not gay, but a lot of the guys I have sex with are".

When the acronym LGBTI came out there was hardcore war within the communities about which order they should be in.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    When the acronym LGBTI came out there was hardcore war within the communities about which order they should be in.
    Ohh, so many things I want to say...
    How did they settle it? Handbags at 10 paces?

Sorry mate, had to say it...

I knew that'd press a button haha. But it's sadly true.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER