Default 2013-14 Hyundai A-League Grand Final at Suncorp

Brisbane Roar host Western Sydney Wanderers in the Stadium on Sunday May 4 at 4pm AEST.

Head-to-head:

Played: 7, Wins: Roar 1, Wanderers 4, Draws: 2

Previous encounter:

Wanderers 1-1 Roar, April 5, 2014

Form:

Past five matches (in all competitions):
    Wanderers: WWWWD
    Mariners: WLDWW

The Game:

Here it is then, the big one. Having finished first and second on the ladder, you can't say these two teams don't deserve to be vying for the top prize on the final day of the season.

Taking to the field on Sunday evening will mark an impressive comeback from the Roar, who, after losing Ange Postecoglou to Melbourne Victory, looked to have fallen apart. At the start of last season they were a shadow of the team that won successive grand finals in 2011 and 2012, but Mike Mulvey righted the ship to get them as far as the semi-finals.

A year later they've gone one better, and are now within 90 minutes (or possibly 120 and penalties) of claiming their third title in four seasons, a feat which would surely see this group of players heralded as the best team in the A-League's brief history.

The Wanderers meanwhile have made a huge impact on the competition since their inception, not least with their noisy and colourful supporters, who will ensure a good portion of that orange fortress, Suncorp Stadium, turns black and red this weekend.

They couldn't repeat the premier's plate triumph of their debut season, but the Wanderers have been mightily impressive in 2013-14, balancing their domestic commitments with an AFC Champions League campaign that will last beyond the end of the A-League season, win or lose in Brisbane. Tony Popovic will have no intention of granting the Roar a straight forward coronation on Sunday.

The big issue:

Roar - We've had plenty of time to get used to these two sides and they're not going to change now. Brisbane will seek to dominate possession through Liam Miller, Matt McKay and Luke Brattan, with Thomas Broich linking midfield and attack to supply Besart Berisha and Dimitri Petratos with ammunition. Petratos picked up a knock against Victory and while Mulvey has claimed the young forward is likely to recover, he also has Henrique and Jean Carlos Solorzano to call on.

Wanderers – Tony Popovic isn't going to alter his tried and tested counter-attacking 4-3-3, it's just a question of which personnel the coach, not averse to some selection surprises, chooses to employ. Mark Bridge, usually first choice in a wide attacking role, is set to miss out due to injury, meaning one of Labinot Haliti or Shannon Cole is likely to come into the first XI.

The game breaker:

Youssouf Hersi. There are so many potential match-winners to choose from on either side, with Berisha and Broich the Roar's chief dangermen, and Ono, Haliti, Santalab and Juric all capable of making the difference for Western Sydney.

But we're going for Youssouf Hersi as the one to watch. Absent from last year's grand final through suspension, the flying winger hasn't quite matched the heights of last season, but when he's on, the Wanderers fire. The Ethiopian-born Dutchman scored a crucial goal away to Melbourne Heart in Round 27 to seal an all-important top-two finish for the Wanderers, and also opened the scoring in the semi-final at home to Central Coast last weekend.

Grand Final Saturday features stars from both sides and lots of fun for the fans. For more information click here.

Brisbane Roar have released their memberships for the 2014/15 Hyundai A-League season.
    Click here for information and to sign up today.

Join the conversation using the hash-tag #ALeagueGF, #OrangeSunday3 & #GrandFinalSaturday
    #itaintweaktospeak

Go the Roar! Hoping they can silence the WSW bandwagon!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Not a WSW fan but they are from NSW so GO WANDERERS!!

Should be a great game, I heard 10,000 travelling active support fans for WSW....

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    Should be a great game, I heard 10,000 travelling active support fans for WSW....
    Sitting down at Dog n Parrot Tavern, watching the crowd build at Succor, always impressive what the WSW crew bring to the ground.

The thing is, a lot of us bicker between afl and RL but the A-league is flying under the radar, building groundswell support and turning fans into fanatics. They have untapped overseas potential for "far and away" fans and have David Gallop using all the things he learnt running the NRL to build their base.

While people who watch soccer are generally not afl or RL fans (as a rule) they are picking up all those kids along the way and building for a massive future in Australia. All my kids have played soccer at some stage, at school and at clubs, 2 of which are my daughters. My son has played soccer, RL and AFL (Aus kick) but wanted to play soccer because most of his mates at school play soccer (and because he is a bit if a wuss!).

So, take a look at the crowd, a massive, thriving display of what any club woukd dream of having behind their team, and then consider the potential for growth this sport has and this is the sort that will be taking up most free to air TV in the future.

I agree with a lot you said Chris, it deserves credit and respect but I dont think soccer will ever overtake AFL and NRL. Especially on TV.

The sports pay tv ratings aren't anything to write home about.

Go Roar.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

The game has it's place just not at my place
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I agree with a lot you said Chris, it deserves credit and respect but I dont think soccer will ever overtake AFL and NRL. Especially on TV.

The sports pay tv ratings aren't anything to write home about.

Go Roar.
    Just got home, the Mrs had to drive.

I hear you DIEHARD, and I am not trying to sound the alarm bells, but the A-league has only been running for about 10 years, from a pretty ordinary NSL, but it is going ahead in leaps and bounds. I agree 100% with what you are saying at this point in time, because I had to travel to a pub just to watch the GRAND FINAL but I would think that it will continue to grow with better management.

Having said all that, my boy and daughter who both play school and club soccer were bored watching the soccer GF and much prefer watching the Rugby League, so that says something about the true viewing spectacle. But the crowd support is epic at the WSW. Props to them all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    The game has it's place just not at my place
    Yeah, but I got a draw/draw for City-country / A-league, both normal time. Handy!

If I heard right tonight, They apparently pulled a crowd of 51k at Suncorp this evening. It getting there, not far off from the Stadiums capacity..

But yeah, in time I do tend to believe that A-League numbers will eventually surpass crowds numbers that the AFL, Union and NRL are currently achieving.

Note to CSF: I have no desire of entering a discussion/debate about crowds figures of any sort, period.