Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Titans dealt a blow with two halves out of action

Titans dealt a blow with two halves out of action

TRAVIS MEYN l GOLD COAST BULLETIN l APRIL 29, 2014 3:59PM

959701-7105e2f0-cf6a-11e3-8fbf-4c17b85df1c4.jpg

THE Gold Coast’s stunning start to the NRL season has been dealt a blow with halves Aidan Sezer and Albert Kelly to miss up to a month of action.

Kelly left the field in the first half of Sunday’s 22-6 win over the Wests Tigers with scans revealing he suffered a minor crack in his leg (fibula).

Sezer suffered an ankle injury but battled through the pain, only to be ruled out of this weekend’s City-Country match.

Kelly’s bone is expected to take two-four weeks to heal while Sezer is awaiting the swelling to subside so he can have scans, however he is also expected to miss a similar amount of football.

It means the Titans are on the hunt for a new halves pairing for Saturday week’s home game against the Rabbitohs.

The NRL has a bye round this weekend for representative fixtures, giving coach John Cartwright plenty of time to find replacements.

Meanwhile, Titans fullback David Mead was today called into the NSW Country team to replace Josh Dugan (ankle).

Mead played for Papua New Guinea at last year’s World Cup and this month pledged his allegiance to Queensland.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...-1226899959729

- - - Updated - - -

Lets say they're both out for the Rabbitohs clash...who will be our halves pairing?

We've got the likes of Henry, Beddow and Fogarty available in qcup but I have a feeling that Carty will opt for Harro and/or Bird to play there. I'm presuming Blair will be strongly considered for one of the spots and hopefully Tighe will be back

Thoughts and feelings?

I think beau Henry, just a bit bigger and tougher against a monster team. And as mush as I think Blair is a great choice, two new halves might be too much. This is hard to say, but maybe harro to play six? Did I really just say that?

I think little Sammy Irwin's been doing a decent job of 5/8 for tweed as well no?
    So a few options there, none of which are particularly inspiring.
    If Blair's fit - I'd go him and Henry as 6 and 7.

Blair looked good in the Melb game, and I'm interested as anyone to see what he could do given another shot.
    Henry is basically a must, as we need someone with a kicking game in the team and of all the available options, his is the best imo.

My ideal team for this week in light of current injuries, suspensions, and players backing up from rep round:

1. Mead
    2. Gordon
    3. Taylor
    4. Taka
    5. Don
    6. Blair
    7. Henry
    8. Douglas
    9. Faloon
    10. Myles
    11. Bird
    12. Carter (or Mini if suspended)
    13. Harro

14. Ioane
    15. James
    16. Mini (or Nelson)
    17. Srama

I can't see us winning this game against a fully fit rabbitohs without our halves, hence, a good time to get Srama back in NRL mix, and keeping Carter on the field longer in his proffered position.

I'm still holding out hope that 1 if not both of Kelly and Sezer will be late inclusions.

update (how is everyone doing the fancy update break in their edited posts?)

DB I'd agree with the 'two new halves being a bit much' if it wasn't a bye round, but at least a new halves combo would have two weeks to practice with the team (or part there of) leading into this match. Also there's not in much difference in Harro+Henry and Blair+Henry as far 'experience playing together in the halves' goes anyway. Out of Blair and Harro, i know who I'd rather see get thrown the ball on tackle six. That said, I think Carty will go the way you have, as it would feel like less change to the team...
    Last edited by K2G; 29-04-14 at 10:18 PM.

If he beats the suspension, give Carter the 6. He has the skills.

id rather see him in the 13, and let harro have it. he is solid in the 6 and will do the job, and henry can run the team for the night.

Probably right. Maybe I'm just having too many flashbacks to how good his dad was.

Can we get a vBookie going on this?

I'd place my bets on a Blair/Zillman combination. This would have the least disruption in terms of other positions. Get those kicking boots on Zilly. I'd suggest Zillman should play left side (normally 5/8) and Blair on the right.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Sundays match between Burleigh & Tweed may go a long way to deciding who plays
    #itaintweaktospeak

Banned

I would say 100% that Zillman will be in there for sure. Only because he sucks Carty so much. I think Blair/Henry would be a good option.
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 30-04-14 at 08:57 AM.

What about Hazard?? Is he injured??

Quote Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
    What about Hazard?? Is he injured??
    Yeah mate he's injured

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    Can we get a vBookie going on this?

I'd place my bets on a Blair/Zillman combination. This would have the least disruption in terms of other positions. Get those kicking boots on Zilly. I'd suggest Zillman should play left side (normally 5/8) and Blair on the right.
    I think you may be right. Zillman always seems to be the good-to half when we have a half missing. Beau Henry deserves a shot. He's come good after an jury lay-off, and didn't let us down when called on last season.

Well judging by the latest rehab ward video it definitely won't be Blair.

So that leaves Zillman ( ), Harro, Henry and maybe Irwin.

You can bet your a$$ Zilly will be one of them.

The biggest shame is most of he team will be on rep duty with whatever halves pairing we go to having limited time to practice with the whole team, especially Falloon. Oh well, have to deal with the hand we've been dealt.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    The biggest shame is most of he team will be on rep duty with whatever halves pairing we go to having limited time to practice with the whole team, especially Falloon. Oh well, have to deal with the hand we've been dealt.

It will be a real test to see where the team really stands