Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Gold Coast Sports Crowds

Alright Mexican Titan, you got your wish. A thread in which you can talk about GC crowds and not be accused of being off topic (oh wait, that was me). Here are the reported crowds for 2014 so far:

Titans
    Round 2 v Wests Tigers - 12,038
    Round 4 v North QLD Cowboys - 9,482
    Round 6 v Brisbane Broncos - 20,524
    Average: 14,014

Suns
    Round 1 v Richmond Tigers - 19,425
    Round 3 v Brisbane Lions - 16,593
    Round 4 v Hawthorn Hawks - 17,729
    Round 6 v GWS Giants - 11,504
    Average: 16,312

I'm sure I'm going to regret this but I'll let you set the agenda and then we can go from there.

That's a very poor look for the club, but from where I see it that's someone else's problem.... I'm just stoked to be equal leaders 1/3 into the comp...

As far as comparing them goes, I'm at both code's home games so I'm doing my bit...lol
    Good start to the year as far as performances go, attendance needs to be improved for both codes...

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Probably not much point about each of us slagging off about each others crowds as I am like GCT_89 above in that I also attend Suns and Titans games. NRL is my preferred game as I was brought up on that but I get to at least 5-6 Suns games a year and am excited by what the Suns should be able to achieve over the next couple of years.
    That all said, the crowd announced at the Suns last weekend was ridiculous and there is not much point me bringing it up now that the journos are starting to notice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    That all said, the crowd announced at the Suns last weekend was ridiculous and there is not much point me bringing it up now that the journos are starting to notice.
    Since you asked me about the crowd in another thread I'll answer it here. If you were just looking at it on the TV then it would have looked very poor because (just like the Titans crowd in Round 2) the broadcast side was in direct sun light around the hottest part of the day. I could see people towards the back of the second tier on the eastern side where the shade was. Having said that, majority of the people were on the western (shaded) side of the stadium anyway. Was the reported crowd accurate? It could have been from what I saw. No doubt it was under half full but the reported crowd was less than half of capacity anyway. I've taken a screen shot from a highlights package to illustrate my point. You can see most of the seats in the shade are taken while the sunny area is nearly empty.

Say what you want but that is my opinion of the crowd and I was there. Okay, now that you have my opinion, we can continue the conversation about crowds that have shown up in either sport this year or crowds that are to come. Where should we start Mexican Titan?

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post

Say what you want but that is my opinion of the crowd and I was there. Okay, now that you have my opinion, we can continue the conversation about crowds that have shown up in either sport this year or crowds that are to come. Where should we start Mexican Titan?
    There is probably not much point in taking this much further at this stage as we have differing opinions about the crowd. I am also the first to admit that the Titans crowds in the past have been fudged but I believe they have been accurate this year. I understand a directive went to clubs from the NRL last year that accurate crowd figures were to be posted e.g. dont count season ticket holders plus tickets sold, count who actually goes through the gate.
    I know Metricon and the Sydney Showground quite well having attended many events at these places and I firmly believe the Suns and GWS are fudging. My opinion of course.
    I don't wish this to sound like an AFL bash as I have said previously I quite like the game and really believe the Suns are on the edge of really going places in the next year or so. If my budget allowed I would be a season ticket holder of the Suns as well as the Titans but $1100 at the Titans is enough for now.
    Cheers.

Funny how the Red seats look just like people
    #itaintweaktospeak

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    There is probably not much point in taking this much further at this stage as we have differing opinions about the crowd. I am also the first to admit that the Titans crowds in the past have been fudged but I believe they have been accurate this year. I understand a directive went to clubs from the NRL last year that accurate crowd figures were to be posted e.g. dont count season ticket holders plus tickets sold, count who actually goes through the gate.
    I know Metricon and the Sydney Showground quite well having attended many events at these places and I firmly believe the Suns and GWS are fudging. My opinion of course.
    I don't wish this to sound like an AFL bash as I have said previously I quite like the game and really believe the Suns are on the edge of really going places in the next year or so. If my budget allowed I would be a season ticket holder of the Suns as well as the Titans but $1100 at the Titans is enough for now.
    Cheers.
    That is interesting about the NRL asking clubs to post legit crowd figures. It would explain why the Titans crowds are down this year so I think what you are saying has some merit (without looking into it myself). I've been to all four Suns games this year and the game on the weekend was the only one that I think you could question. The first three looked right but I still think the GWS game was the legit figure after attending it. As you would know from going to Metricon, quite a few people actually choose to stand in the standing area behind the first tier (you can just see it in the picture above) which is something that I don't think Cbus offers. I certainly never saw any standing room when I've walked around Cbus in the past. You would also know that there is a members area and a big screen outside of the stadium that plenty of people spend the entire game there. So there are plenty of people at the games that don't actually sit in the seats.

This shouldn't be a bashing session, it should be an assessment of how both codes are going crowd wise. I'd be the first to admit it if I didn't believe the crowd was legit, just like I straight up said the Hawthorn crowd was poor and should have been bigger. Likewise, I believe the Broncos crowd was poor but I'm hesitant to say those things on here because I'll just be labelled an AFL troll. Hopefully we have a productive conversation on crowds in this thread from this point onward.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Funny how the Red seats look just like people
    You do realise that the seats at Cbus also share the same colours as the Titans? Have another look at the picture above. Look to the top left and you'll see the empty seats. Now look to the top/bottom right and you'll see people. I don't know about you but I don't have a problem distinguishing between a seat and a person. Look at the second tier sections that have Gold FM sponsorship in front of them, I can clearly tell there are some empty seats in those two sections but I would still say it's about 70% full.

CSF, you've wasted hundreds of words trying to tell us how many people are at the Suns game, even though they can't be seen, BS, etc, BS, etc, and then try and tell us you are not an afl troll but want a fair debate.

Sorry, you have no credibility, and even those who are trying to be nice to you are actually trying to tell you they don't really care either. Just take the hint mate.

Ask the question, does anyone on here apart from yourself actually care, and if you get 5 or more people saying they actually care about how many people attend Suns games and wish to discuss it on here, I will admit I am wrong and will take whatever punishment you seek. If you can't get 5, you will just drop this thread and stop pretending anyone cares about what you have to say about afl or the Suns on this forum, and that will be the end of it.

Deal? Name your bet.

Look at the second tier sections that have Gold FM sponsorship in front of them, I can clearly tell there are some empty seats in those two sections but I would still say it's about 70% full.
    I wish you were paying me - if that is 70% full. I could work for you and do about 20% of the job and you would pay me a full wage. Great when do I start.
    Mate I think we have got to the point of "I said" "he said" and we will go around in circles. As I said even AFL journos had a snigger at that crowd but time to drop it for now I reckon.
    Go over to the Suns thread, I want your opinion on a Suns player.

Banned

C-Whiz, I started this thread mainly because of Mexican Titan. I doubt I can give you 5 people that will say they care (Mexican Titan might even say he wasn't interested in my last post) but why should that matter? Isn't the idea of a forum to share/express opinions and ideas? If no one else took interest in this thread other than me I could see your point but as long as there is someone replying to my posts and I'm not breaking any rules then I think the thread has merit. It's not like I've posted this in the Titans sub-forum, I've actually gone to correct area to discuss it. You don't have to read it if you don't want to...

I doubt I can give you 5 people that will say they care (Mexican Titan might even say he wasn't interested in my last post) but why should that matter?
    OK, well at least you can admit that no one on here really cares. And if no one cares except you then it isn't a discussion, is it. This is why it matters.

Isn't the idea of a forum to share/express opinions and ideas?
    See my above point. Further to that, you are not "expressing opinions or ideas", you are just afl trolling for bites by trying to sell the idea that there are thousands of Suns fans at the game, and we just can't see them because they are all hidden in special standing zones etc, BS, etc, BS.

If no one else took interest in this thread other than me I could see your point
    Back to point 1...

but as long as there is someone replying to my posts
    So, give us a time frame, I am sure we can actively meet that requirement if it means you will accept point 1.

and I'm not breaking any rules then I think the thread has merit.
    Not breaking rules does not merit make.

It's not like I've posted this in the Titans sub-forum
    Well, you had, no one liked it there, and you've just moved it recently.

I've actually gone to correct area to discuss it
    Point 1 again.

You don't have to read it if you don't want to...
    I don't, but let's not get bogged down in childish argument, because i don't want to dob on you to the mods...

I, like others, would possibly be willing to discuss crowds if we were discussing actual crowds, but you are clearly afl biased, and when/if you can accept and admit this most obvious fact, then we can continue the debate from an honest and open standpoint.
    Last edited by C-Whiz; 30-04-14 at 06:45 PM. Reason: A post like this does require some editing...

Thanks C-Whiz for taking the batten. I can sit back and watch now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    OK, well at least you can admit that no one on here really cares. And if no one cares except you then it isn't a discussion, is it. This is why it matters.
    Didn't actually admit that. I said the opposite. As long as people are replying then it's a discussion and it's obvious people have replied to this thread, including yourself.

See my above point. Further to that, you are not "expressing opinions or ideas", you are just afl trolling for bites by trying to sell the idea that there are thousands of Suns fans at the game, and we just can't see them because they are all hidden in special standing zones etc, BS, etc, BS.
    Have you been to Metricon? If you had then you would know what I'm saying is the truth. I don't want to get others to fight my battles but Mexican Titan would be able to back me up on the point of standing room and outside areas that people frequent at Suns games.

So, give us a time frame, I am sure we can actively meet that requirement if it means you will accept point 1.
    Why should there be a time limit on a thread? That doesn't really make sense at all. Perhaps someone would have discussed this but decided to take a week off from the internet. You can't speak for everyone else just because you don't like it.

Not breaking rules does not merit make.
    As long as I'm not breaking rules then I don't see a reason to delete my posts/threads.

Well, you had, no one liked it there, and you've just moved it recently.
    So I post in the right spot and you're still trying to shut it down? How about, if you don't like the thread, just avoid reading it? Seems pretty logical to me.

I don't, but let's not get bogged down in childish argument, because i don't want to dob on you to the mods...

I, like others, would possibly be willing to discuss crowds if we were discussing actual crowds, but you are clearly afl biased, and when/if you can accept and admit this most obvious fact, then we can continue the debate from an honest and open standpoint.
    Dob on me? Lol. I'm sure I would have been told by now if I was doing something really bad. I enjoy both sports, why is that such a crime? It's a cop out to just call me an AFL troll. You wanna actually discuss crowds in this thread then go ahead, if not I'm afraid I'm going to have to inform you that you are trying to take this thread off topic and I don't appreciate that.

The funny thing is that you came here to recruit people to watch AFL.
    And all that has happened is that you have watched more NRL and gone to games.

I think it's a positive that you no longer think AFL is the best sport and now enjoy league equally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    The funny thing is that you came here to recruit people to watch AFL.
    And all that has happened is that you have watched more NRL and gone to games.

I think it's a positive that you no longer think AFL is the best sport and now enjoy league equally.
    I never didn't watch NRL games? I've always enjoyed the game and thought the whole code wars thing was silly. I support the Suns and the Titans and I don't really understand why others in this great city of ours don't embrace both teams like I do. If you travel to just about any other part of the world you'll find the locals support (in varying degrees based on preference of course) all their teams. Both teams sit in the top 8 right now, we have good reason to be proud of them!