Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Titans play rep

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Mate, I'd dispute that. He made a very good name for himself on the wing, gained confidence and experience plus recovered from two broken jaws ... with all of that factored-in he is now in a better position than if he had been thrust at the back of the impotent team we have had over recent years ... no regrets I'd reckon ... now is his time and he should grab it.
    fair point. it might not have been the best environment to be learning a craft. now is a much more stable time to be moving

This is the article in yesterdays Gold Coast Bulletin for those who may have missed it.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...-1226900605823

TITANS flyer David Mead says he only pledged his allegiance to Queensland because of the mad following the Maroons receive in his homeland.

The Papua New Guinea international’s comments came after he was controversially called into the NSW Country team.

Mead, who played for PNG in last year’s World Cup, has been declared a Blue and will replace injured fullback Josh Dugan in Sunday’s clash against City despite saying that he wanted to play for Queensland just a fortnight ago.

Mead was born in PNG before moving to Lismore as a 12-year-old and the NRL was yesterday asked to sort out his eligibility by the Country Rugby League.

The 25-year-old satisfied the NSW selection criteria and was on a plane to Sydney only hours later to go into camp.

He is the second Queensland hopeful NSW have pinched recently after Ipswich-born Rabbitohs young gun Luke Keary was declared a Blue.

Mead said the only reason he wanted to play for Queensland was because he grew up around Maroons supporters.

“Growing up in PNG, a lot of my family are Queensland fans and that’s how we went,” he said.

“My eligibility says I’m NSW and I’m just keen to get down there and concentrate on this game. That’s all settled now.

“I ticked all the boxes for NSW and that’s where it stands. It’s all pretty clear now.

“I’m definitely stoked to be able to put on a rep jersey. It’s a dream come true.”

It’s understood Mead is privately worried about the backlash he will receive over the eligibility saga. He first signalled his desire to play for Queensland in 2011 after receiving advice from former Maroons Queensland and PNG representative Adrian Lam.

The ARL Commission last year overhauled Origin eligibility guidelines following a series of controversies and Mead satisfies four of the five NSW criteria.

Mead recently said: “I think I’m eligible for NSW. But growing up I always went for Queensland when I lived in Papua New Guinea, so I would like to choose Queensland.”

That decision has now been taken away from him and the electric fullback said that he was determined to make the most of his opportunity in Dubbo with a NSW Origin jersey now a real possibility.

“It has been confusing but I wasn’t too fussed because my form the past few years hasn’t been as good as the other players,” he said.

“I was always playing for PNG so I never knew if I was on the radar for either state.”

Mead’s representative call-up has come on the back of a purple patch of form since he replaced the injured William Zillman at fullback for the Titans.

“I’ve had a bit more opportunity to play up the middle and catch out some tired forwards,” he said.

“I’ve had a lot more involvement and that’s definitely helped my chances.

“Origin wasn’t really in my mind during this period of time.”

Even City hooker Beau Falloon, Mead’s teammate at the Titans, said he was confused by the situation.

“It was a bit confusing,’’ Falloon said. “It’s good to finally know who he’s eligible for.”

The first blue Kumul? … no he's not, the Blue Kumuls used to be the name for the many police rugby league clubs around the country. Who could ever forget Kumul wing, Tolai and policeman Arnold Tivolet who played club for the Blue Kumuls in Mt. Hagen when stationed there?

Anyway, now you're a Blue David and three times a year you go phuque yourself.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The first blue Kumul? … no he's not, the Blue Kumuls used to be the name for the many police rugby league clubs around the country. Who could ever forget Kumul wing, Tolai and policeman Arnold Tivolet who played club for the Blue Kumuls in Mt. Hagen when stationed there?

Anyway, now you're a Blue David and three times a year you go phuque yourself.
    Wow now that is some RL trivia right there. The Blue Kumuls ey.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Banned

Although I'd like to see Mead in a Maroons jersey, I think it is good that the eligibility rules have become more clear these days. Queensland is good enough to win in the future without the aid of New South Welshmen.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Wow now that is some RL trivia right there. The Blue Kumuls ey.
    Yeah, imagine if you, Titanic and a couple of others on here got together for RL trivia night. I am sure you guys would bring home the chocolates. Well, win the chocolates, not sure if they would get home if Titanic is on the team...

Don't be so trivial Whiz.

Meady will go close to getting Man of the Match here today for country

Edit: F**** Jamal Idris.
    Last edited by K2G; 04-05-14 at 03:46 PM.

My boy Killed it again, and the fact he is a right winger playing FB says we as Titans have our Origin Bolter !!!

Flawless game
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    Meady will go close to getting Man of the Match here today for country

Edit: F**** Jamal Idris.
    lol'd at the edit

Meady was superb today. He's getting better every week at fullback as well. His confidence must be high, as it should!

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    Queensland is good enough to win in the future without the aid of New South Welshmen.
    They haven't been able to for the last 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    They haven't been able to for the last 8 years.
    NSWailer ... we've also been able to win without the referees.

five posts in this thread without mentioning Meads ascension into the elite level of NRL is too many.

He has improved some much in his 6 games at FB that what he is capable of is scary.

I hope Neil Henry watches the tape and saw that nice short ball for his second try and builds that into our play. it was so easy and so effective.

And its all round effort from Mead. high ball, defense, dummy half scurries, support play. go son.

People are wary of getting too excited about Mead. We all know Cartwright is going to screw it up and give Zillman the 1 when players are back.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    People are wary of getting too excited about Mead. We all know Cartwright is going to screw it up and give Zillman the 1 when players are back.
    This.

I agree with DB's sentiment, but the question now has to be seriously asked, what happens to TP? He is on Zillions (yep,thought of that all by myself...) forever, so he wont be playing Q-cup, so what does Carty do with him??