Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Titans play rep

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Without wanting to start a massive Origin debate over eligibility rules, but why is Mead now playing for NSW?

**edit** I know he is not playing for NSW, but playing in Sydney rep teams for NSW selection.
    i know why, it's NSW way of saying to Mal, we got him tough titties.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm super happy for Meady if this is the decision he's made. Good on him and sincere congratulations ...

But why would they (NSW / CRL) pick a bloke who said 'I want to play for Queensland' mere weeks ago?

I think the whole eligibility system is an absolute farce.

On top of the Keary embarrassment - Mead's selection just makes NSW look desperate.

So much for Pride and Passion.

Meady gives Daley a chubby, me thinks.. Going by a interview conducted some time back (or was that Alby?).

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Well done to Mead but i don't think he would've had any chance of playing for QLD in the future, Slater.Ingliss & Boyd...with NSW Hayne,Dugan & Stewart they are all very injury prone , i think he's far more chance with NSW being realistic i just hope he holds onto the Titans no1 jersey
    How much longer do you think Slater will be around? I think this will probably be his last year, and possibly a few other Qld legends. Boyd will be lucky to even make this years team IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    I'm super happy for Meady if this is the decision he's made. Good on him and sincere congratulations ...

But why would they (NSW / CRL) pick a bloke who said 'I want to play for Queensland' mere weeks ago?

I think the whole eligibility system is an absolute farce.

On top of the Keary embarrassment - Mead's selection just makes NSW look desperate.

So much for Pride and Passion.
    All of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Meady gives Daley a chubby, me thinks.. Going by a interview conducted some time back (or was that Alby?).
    And probably a bit of this.

I suppose in fairness, I should add that occurrences like this, make the individual players themselves look like mercenaries too.

Why would Mead go and play for Country and potentially NSW, if his dream was to play for QLD? As far as I'm aware, he wasn't ruled to be ineligible for QLD as of yet? Did he always just intend on playing for whoever wanted him first? Is it a money thing? I understand the lure of Origin/Rep football is ingrained in all players from a young age, and most would jump at the opportunity to get a taste ... but as a spectator and fan, it cheapens the whole concept of Origin football when players don't seem to have any real, deeply ingrained allegiance (like we fans do ... or at least used to)

As much as I love David Mead as a player and a TITAN - this has got to be one of the best (or worst) examples of not just the farce of eligibility, but the erosion / watering-down of the concept of SOO, simply because it appears to me that, despite him playing for PNG - he could have gone on to be eligible for either NSW or QLD, due to ticking some of those ambiguous boxes for both sides - and even after going on record saying 'I choose QLD' he is picked, and accepts to play for Country/NSW?!!

At least G.I., Tamou, and Keary (for now) stood their ground....

Signpost of the times?

I'll cheer for him either way... but I reckon It's an issue the game has to sort out ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    As much as I love David Mead as a player and a TITAN - this has got to be one of the best (or worst) examples of not just the farce of eligibility, but the erosion / watering-down of the concept of SOO, simply because it appears to me that, despite him playing for PNG - he could have gone on to be eligible for either NSW or QLD, due to ticking some of those ambiguous boxes for both sides - and even after going on record saying 'I choose QLD' he is picked, and accepts to play for Country/NSW?!!

At least G.I., Tamou, and Keary (for now) stood their ground....

Signpost of the times?

I'll cheer for him either way... but I reckon It's an issue the game has to sort out ASAP.
    From what I know of the eligibility rules, he was ineligible for qld despite what Mal wants...

1. Which State were you born in?
    2. In which state did you play RL for the majority of years from U/6-U/18?
    3. In which state of Australia did you spend the majority of years at school (K-12)?
    4. In which state did you first participate in a junior Rep Comp (Matthews/connell/ball/meninga)?
    5. For which state of Australia did you first play School State Rep RL?

Pretty sure he was N/A to rule 1 and NSW from 2-5....

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

How much longer do you think Slater will be around? I think this will probably be his last year, and possibly a few other Qld legends. Boyd will be lucky to even make this years team IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

All of this.

- - - Updated - - -

And probably a bit of this.
    i think you've had a few too many of the Helm Bars finest...last year for billy slater? Until this last few weeks, he hasn't had a form dip in about five years...I'm not even a huge fan of his but he isn't a spent force yet. Boyd will be the winger for another 3 or 4 years I think.... As long as we keep winning. It's a special talent to just wait outside inglis all day for gift tries.

kickit2gordon & GCT, both good posts.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    i think you've had a few too many of the Helm Bars finest...last year for billy slater? Until this last few weeks, he hasn't had a form dip in about five years...I'm not even a huge fan of his but he isn't a spent force yet. Boyd will be the winger for another 3 or 4 years I think.... As long as we keep winning.
    I am of the opinion that Qld is wringing the neck of the "winning formula", and as soon as we lose a series there will be some changes to the old guard, and given the number and quality of young up'n'coming FB's that are just looking for a spot, this would be one of the easiest replacement options for a "fresh" Qld. Remember, we are talking about next series, so over a year away. How old will all the guys who have been around for 8 series be? Having an old war-horse like big Petero for his experience and tradition is one thing, but having a whole spine of 30+ guys playing 80mins in SOO is really starting to push the limits. Everyone is happy while Qld is winning (ok, half of RL fans ) but once they lose a series there will be calls of too old, time for change.

It's a special talent to just wait outside inglis all day for gift tries.
    Haha, yep, that is true, I think he has been lucky to have this gift that keeps on giving.

Yeah I know what u mean, and a few are getting old, but slater hasn't looked anything like slowing down until very very recently.

I think the only thing that will move him is inglis, because if we lose this year mal will give them a chance to redeem. ( most if the players), and if we win I think he will let them go for 10.

I think at least two more years injury permitting until the main guys leave.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    What a sad sad day for me and Many of his family members.

RIP Qld Maroons Dream
    Not the family members that count...

Without wanting to start a massive Origin debate over eligibility rules, but why is Mead now playing for NSW
    90% of family want him for Qld...10% of (future) family want him for NSW. Am I close Teke?

I've just read the article in today's Bulletin (I'm artwork, someone can find the link) and now that it has been cleared up for me, I woukd just like to say CONGRATULATIONS MEADY for gaining rep selection, regardless of who you end up playing for. You are an awesome FB, you earned your selection and it is the realisation of a dream for you and all those around you.

Well done, I honestly hope u get to experience an Origin series win at some stage, and that is a massive call coming from me.

It's also worth noting that Meady has gained this selection after only a handful of games at the back. Who knows what sort of weapon he might be after more time, more opportunity and more coaching experience he gains from rep duties and tips from those he trains and plays with.

David Mead, Origin star and Titan for life.

Imagine if he had have not been wasted on the wing the last two years... He'd be almost at his peak now.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Not the family members that count...

90% of family want him for Qld...10% of (future) family want him for NSW. Am I close Teke?

Let's just say I'm 100% devastated.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    Imagine if he had have not been wasted on the wing the last two years... He'd be almost at his peak now.
    Mate, I'd dispute that. He made a very good name for himself on the wing, gained confidence and experience plus recovered from two broken jaws ... with all of that factored-in he is now in a better position than if he had been thrust at the back of the impotent team we have had over recent years ... no regrets I'd reckon ... now is his time and he should grab it.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.