Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

QUOTE "It's delicate, [Zillman] has been there since Preston retired and he's done a fantastic job there. It's just the fact that a guy has come in and been given an opportunity and done everything he could possibly do to keep that job.

"There will always be a spot there in the team for William Zillman while ever I've got any say in it, and that's why he's handled it so well. He knows that it's about the team and any individual disappointment that he may have will be put aside when we go on the field on Saturday."QUOTE

This bit of the article really gets me. In other comments a number of us have listed about 11 other NRL fullbacks that are better than Zilly and that doesn't include fullbacks playing in other positions at clubs.
    I wish I could see Zilly in the same light at Carty but I can't and I would love to know what I am missing.

What's the story with Blair? Is he injured or is he dropped for Zilly?

If it's the latter then I will be absolutely outraged.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    What's the story with Blair? Is he injured or is he dropped for Zilly?

If it's the latter then I will be absolutely outraged.
    Maurice Blair is injured

thanks Dan.

Just to change the direction of this thread for a moment...

I just went to buy tickets online for extra family to attend, and I can buy a ticket for $25, which is great value, but this can also be a ticket for an adult who gets to bring a kid for free. So far, so good, people on a tight budget can still afford to go to the footy.

Then, when I am about to buy, I see there is a 1.95% fee for credit/debit cards, and even worse, a $4.95 to have the ticket sent to my mobile! This is called a "Service Delivery Fee"!!! It costs an extra $5.30 to pick up the ticket from the Ticketek office. So, this takes the price up over $30, or an extra 20% price hike. I know this is not the Titans fault, but Hey Zuess, what an absolute rort. PS, it's been a while since I've bought tickets through Ticketek.

Titans v Rabbitohs preview
    By Matt Harris, Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    1:00pm Wed 07th May, 2014

Titans v Rabbitohs
    Cbus Super Stadium
    Saturday 5.30pm

With the representative weekend done and dusted the NRL season now enters the pre-Origin phase. Players with ambitions to play for their state need to lift their game to another level over the next two rounds as selectors from both sides of the border run the rule through the maybes and the maybe-nots.

The Titans have exceeded expectations so far this season and currently find themselves sitting in equal-first position heading into Round 9 with six wins and two losses, while the Rabbitohs have been hot and cold and are currently in seventh spot with four wins and four losses. Both teams are on just a one-match winning run, so neither side has much momentum heading into Saturday's game after last weekend's representative break.

Only time will tell whether the break will be a help or hindrance but if Souths can repeat their lightning-fast start against the Broncos – where they jumped out to a 14-0 lead after 15 minutes – then the Titans may find it harder to rope them back in the same fashion that Brisbane did.

In team news, Titans halves Aidan Sezer (ankle) and Albert Kelly (leg) will be given until Friday to prove their fitness, while William Zillman will make his return from a hamstring injury in the centres. A one-game suspension for Paul Carter opens the door for Matt Srama to return on the bench alongside Mark Ioane, Ryan James and Mark Minichiello.

Meanwhile, the Bunnies are sticking with the same 17 that did the job against the Broncos, with Joel Reddy, Ben Lowe and Joe Picker added to an extended bench.

In milestones, Adam Reynolds has an outside chance of reaching 500 NRL points on Saturday night; the Rabbitohs' halfback currently sits on 482 points and would need a crushing win by his side to come close to the milestone. Reynolds has reached 18 points twice in his career – against the Raiders in the 2012 semi-finals and the Wests Tigers in Round 10 last season.

For the home side, Greg Bird is one try short of 50 in the NRL, Ashley Harrison plays his 275th NRL match and Aidan Sezer is six goals short of 100 in the top-grade – at a conversion rate of 85 per cent.

Watch Out Titans: While Josh Reynolds and Jarrod Mullen were duking it out in the City-Country clash on Sunday, John Sutton was resting a sore groin that prevented the 29-year-old from earning an Origin audition in Dubbo. With incumbent Blues' five-eighth James Maloney and another Origin hopeful, Todd Carney, nursing more serious injuries than the Rabbitohs' No.6, Saturday's match at Robina shapes as one of the last chances Sutton will have to impress NSW selectors.

The Kensington United junior is surprisingly creative for a man of his imposing size. At 190 centimetres and 105kg, Sutton's versatility (he can play lock or five-eighth) will increase his Origin chances, while his playmaking statistics this season have been impressive enough to warrant a call from Laurie Daley.

So far this season Sutton has made eight line break assists, equal fourth in the NRL and behind only Johnathan Thurston and James Maloney (nine), Cooper Cronk (10) and Mitchell Pearce (12). He has also contributed six try assists and 14 tackle breaks. An eye-catching display against the Titans is a must if Sutton wants any chance to snare his first Blues' jersey after making the NSW squad in 2013.

Watch Out Rabbitohs: Calls for Titans' flyer David Mead to become a shock selection in Laurie Daley's NSW side for Origin I on May 28 grew louder after the 25-year-old produced a scintillating performance for Country against City. The Marist Brothers Lismore junior has discovered a newfound freedom after a forced switch to fullback during the Round 3 clash against Canberra after regular No.1 William Zillman injured his hamstring.

Since his switch to custodian, Mead has bagged four tries (including his two tries against City), yet it's his powerful running ability which could pose trouble for the Bunnies. The Port Moresby-born speedster has made 21 tackle breaks this season (not including a whopping five tackle breaks for Country) and has made a total of 1139 run metres, averaging 142 metres per game - placing him 15th overall in the NRL for all run metres.

The pressure is on Mead to continue his recent flawless form as he pushes for Origin selection in the coming weeks.

Plays To Watch: Greg Inglis set the benchmark for try of the season in Round 8 against the Broncos and all eyes at Robina will be fixed on the Kangaroos and Maroons centre.

After a solid, yet unspectacular performance against the Kiwis last Friday, Inglis returns to his usual club position of fullback. The 27-year-old doesn't see enough of the Steeden playing at left centre for the Aussies and Queensland, so playing from the back and chiming into the attacking line on both sides of the field causes headaches for the opposition defensive line.

Inglis demonstrated against the Broncos that he is a threat from anywhere on the park, especially on kick returns. So far in 2014 Inglis has crossed the stripe five times, but it's his tackle-breaking ability which seems him on top of the NRL pile, with 46 tackle breaks at an average of just under six per game.

Where It Will Be Won: The battle of the forwards holds the key to victory for both sides. Forget about witnessing another 90-metre Greg Inglis solo try because the metre-men in the middle need to be the ones who carve out the hard yards. Both forward packs are brimming with Origin and international experience and as is the case with Sutton and Mead, a handful of big-boppers are auditioning for Origin I as well.

Souths forwards Ben Te'o and Chris McQueen need to perform or their Queensland hopes may perish. These two haven't displayed Origin-like form this season and are producing fewer metres and making less tackles compared to last season. Te'o has only averaged 68 run metres this so far in 2014, compared to last season when he was averaging 81m. For McQueen, while he has improved his running metres (from 65m in 2013 to 83m this year), his defensive work has decreased by 20 per cent (20 tackles per game this season compared to 25 last year).

The History: Played 10; Titans 4, Rabbitohs 6. The history between these sides is rather tight since the Titans entered the competition in 2007. However, since accounting for the Rabbitohs in their inaugural clash in Round 11, 2007, Gold Coast have only won three out of the past nine clashes. Souths are currently on a four-match winning streak over the Titans who haven't beaten the Bunnies since Round 2, 2010. The last time the Titans tasted victory over Souths at Robina was in Round 8, 2009.

Match Officials: Referees - Ben Cummins & Dave Munro; Touch Judges - Paul Holland & Clayton Sharpe; Video Referees - Chris Ward & Luke Phillips.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 5.30pm.

The Way We See It: The Titans have been bubbling along nicely so far this season but it's fair to say their sternest test will be against the Bunnies. This game will be decided on which forward pack can assert their dominance. Speedsters such as Albert Kelly and David Mead need the Titans pack to bash and bruise the Burgess brothers and company, and likewise the Rabbitohs' pack, who need to create room for Adam Reynolds and John Sutton to weave their magic. This game could be decided by a moment of individual brilliance or a crucial mistake by the opposition so with that in mind, it's the Rabbitohs by four points courtesy of some 'GI' magic.
    #itaintweaktospeak

One thing Rugby League AND AFL should do is form a company that sells match tickets. Cut these blood sucking parasites known as Ticketek out.

Ive said before, Id love to see computerised vending machines at shopping centres that sell match tickets.

Do it NRL!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    One thing Rugby League AND AFL should do is form a company that sells match tickets. Cut these blood sucking parasites known as Ticketek out.

Ive said before, Id love to see computerised vending machines at shopping centres that sell match tickets.

Do it NRL!
    Great idea, and you know what would be really cool, each club prints the tickets with their clubs emblem/mascot on the back. Would be a good little collectible for traveling fans to collect, like collecting trading cards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Titans v Rabbitohs previe

With the representative weekend done and dusted the NRL season now enters the pre-Origin phase. Players with ambitions to play for their state need to lift their game to another level over the next two rounds as selectors from both sides of the border run the rule through the maybes and the maybe-nots.

Souths forwards Ben Te'o and Chris McQueen need to perform or their Queensland hopes may perish. These two haven't displayed Origin-like form this season and are producing fewer metres and making less tackles compared to last season. Te'o has only averaged 68 run metres this so far in 2014, compared to last season when he was averaging 81m. For McQueen, while he has improved his running metres (from 65m in 2013 to 83m this year), his defensive work has decreased by 20 per cent (20 tackles per game this season compared to 25 last year).
    This is the part I am worried about, these guys needing to lift if they want to be noticed for Origin selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    At least Mead seems to be our #1 fullback from now on
    Until he gets picked for Origin and then TTP will resume at the back and Mead will be shunted to the wing....

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Great idea, and you know what would be really cool, each club prints the tickets with their clubs emblem/mascot on the back. Would be a good little collectible for traveling fans to collect, like collecting trading cards.
    Wonderful idea. I used to love collecting the cards at games and badges that were sometimes on offer in the 80s and 90s.

You could fill a folder with all the games you attended.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Wonderful idea. I used to love collecting the cards at games and badges that were sometimes on offer in the 80s and 90s.

You could fill a folder with all the games you attended.
    Exactly! They had some player cards at a home game a few rounds ago, actually, maybe last year... I think it was a Cowboys game. Anyway, it would have been great if they did this every round so the kids can collect them each round, trade them etc, especially of the team you are playing. Would be a good idea between clubs to provide away team collector cards at home games.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Exactly! They had some player cards at a home game a few rounds ago, actually, maybe last year... I think it was a Cowboys game. Anyway, it would have been great if they did this every round so the kids can collect them each round, trade them etc, especially of the team you are playing. Would be a good idea between clubs to provide away team collector cards at home games.
    Oh God, not more footy cards. My kid has 10 spare sets of the current series that the shops are selling and I reckon he has spent well over $1500 so far and still hasn't cracked one of the signed ones. He had a good strike rate the last few years but at least he has sold a few of his better spares to get some money back. His money so what can I do.
    In relation to the ticket fees, I think the venue controls the agency and it may be written in the hiring agreement. For example Manly games at Brookie are sold through Ticketmaster but when they play at Bluetongue you buy through Ticketek. I think it is yet another way the poor old supporter gets screwed again.

Maybe they could be in pog form.

Match boxes? Oh yeah, don't let your kids play with matches ... or you might get burnt ... ironies fully intended for all you who enjoy that sort of thing ... heads up DH

ribot.jpg

1. What's safe about this product?
    2. John Ribot de Brittle-sack burnt how many?
    3. He's not wearing a Wests jersey ... Brisbane jersey v Qld Country.
    4. And the hair? Gordon and James would be stoked.
    5. They were made in China.
    Last edited by Titanic; 08-05-14 at 09:15 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

GOLD COAST TITANS v SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS at Cbus Super Stadium, 5.30pm

Michael Chammas writes: This should be one of the games of the round. A lot will hinge on the fitness of Titans halves Aidan Sezer and Albert Kelly, who are both under an injury cloud after suffering respective leg injuries in the round eight win against the Tigers at Leichhardt Oval. This will be a battle of the two big forward packs, however Souths should be too strong

Tip: Rabbitohs by 4.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

I cant believe they pay them for such indepth previews at Fairfax.