Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16

Gold Coast Titans lost to South Sydney Rabbits after the worst defensive performance of the 2014 NRL competition
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN MAY 11, 2014 11:42AM

GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright is set to wield the selection axe ahead of Friday’s derby against the desperate Broncos after the Titans produced the worst defensive performance of any team this year.

Preliminary analysis by Fox Sports Statistics found the Gold Coast missed 54 tackles in *Saturday’s 40-18 loss to the Rabbitohs at Cbus Super Stadium.

The figures will be audited today but it was another match in which the Gold Coast’s frontline defence was exposed.

The Titans have missed the most tackles of any team this season and have relied on their scrambling defence to keep them in contests.

But the rampaging Rabbitohs were too hot to handle for the Titans, bursting out to a matchwinning 22-0 lead inside the opening 15 minutes to relegate the Gold Coast to their third loss this season.

The Titans travel to Suncorp Stadium on Friday for the second derby of the year and Cartwright is set to make changes.

Prop Ryan James is almost certain to be relegated to Tweed Heads after making four runs for 32m while bench hooker Matt Srama may also find himself back in the Intrust Super Cup as he continues his return from a shoulder reconstruction.

Veteran Luke Bailey will be fit to return from an ankle injury while Matt White and Paul Carter are available after serving suspensions.

Lock Ashley Harrison copped a head knock from a high tackle by Rabbitohs prop Luke Burgess but declared he would be fine to face the Broncos.

“I’m sweet. It was a bit of a head knock and I pinched a bit of a nerve in my neck,” he said. “I was just a bit dazed.”

Harrison didn’t want to speculate on possible team changes but said the Titans received a harsh reality check.

“I’m sure we all as a team have got to have a hard look at ourselves,” he said. “It was definitely a reality check anyway.’’

Vice-captain William Zillman’s performance will also come under the microscope. Zillman started at centre for the fifth time in his career as he returned from a hamstring injury and his opposite, Dylan Walker, 19, crossed for four tries.

Zillman only managed three runs and regular centres Maurice Blair (wrist) and Brad Tighe (shoulder) will be available for selection.

- - - Updated - - -

Srama,Zillman & James should be the 1st players dropped if we have a coach that has any Balls..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Vice-captain William Zillman’s performance will also come under the microscope. Zillman started at centre for the fifth time in his career as he returned from a hamstring injury and his opposite, Dylan Walker, 19, crossed for four tries.
    yeah right.

Srama,Zillman & James should be the 1st players dropped if we have a coach that has any Balls..
    Yep and give Sezer, Minichiello and Gordon a wake-up too ... Henry, Carter, White, Blair, Bailey and Tighe.

1. Mead
    2. Tighe
    3. Blair
    4. Takairangi
    5. Don
    6. Kelly
    7. Henry
    8. Bailey
    9. Falloon
    10. Myles
    11. Taylor
    12. Bird
    13. Harrison

14. White
    15. Ioane
    16. Douglas
    17. Carter
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

From The Guardian....

"Was the Titans loss an aberration or a portent of doom?

Watching the Rabbitohs take apart Gold Coast on their home patch on Saturday night it crossed the mind that this could be the point the Titans, previously walking the high wire with confidence and purpose, look down and get the death wobbles. Up against a Rabbitohs’ pack bolstered by a buttress of Burgesses – and the flying feet and deceptive power of Dylan Walker– the Titans were trampled underfoot, and but for a brief rally before half-time they did not look like the team that have been there or thereabouts all season. Prior to the game Greg Bird opined that the Titans weren’t getting the media love they deserved for their impressive start to the season. He was right, but now this seven-tries-to-three loss will play into the hands of all those who have the treated the Titans’ gravity-defying start as a prelude to the inevitable fall. A win next week against their rivals, the Broncos, may see their Souths result safely compartmentalised as “just one of those days”, but another loss may sow the seeds of doubt and get them thinking that maybe the sceptics were right. "
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    From The Guardian....

"Was the Titans loss an aberration or a portent of doom?

Watching the Rabbitohs take apart Gold Coast on their home patch on Saturday night it crossed the mind that this could be the point the Titans, previously walking the high wire with confidence and purpose, look down and get the death wobbles. Up against a Rabbitohs’ pack bolstered by a buttress of Burgesses – and the flying feet and deceptive power of Dylan Walker– the Titans were trampled underfoot, and but for a brief rally before half-time they did not look like the team that have been there or thereabouts all season. Prior to the game Greg Bird opined that the Titans weren’t getting the media love they deserved for their impressive start to the season. He was right, but now this seven-tries-to-three loss will play into the hands of all those who have the treated the Titans’ gravity-defying start as a prelude to the inevitable fall. A win next week against their rivals, the Broncos, may see their Souths result safely compartmentalised as “just one of those days”, but another loss may sow the seeds of doubt and get them thinking that maybe the sceptics were right. "
    Strange article. "Confidence and purpose"? - we had the 11th rated attack prior to the weekend.
    "A brief rally"? - only started with an intercept. Prior to that we never looked like scoring a try, and the second try came from a kick so it's not as if we looked like breaking the Rabbits defensive line. FFS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I think Bird was at the minor end and unless he has carryovers I hope he might be ok.
    One of my better calls!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brock O'Brien View Post
    I read on a forum that the only way we will miss out on the finals is if we lose 10 out of our last 15 games. So luckily for us a finals spot is all but assured, but we are never going to be a serious threat if we play how we did last night.
    There are 4 points between us and 13th on the ladder. So i would say we are far from assured a finals spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rablin View Post
    There are 4 points between us and 13th on the ladder. So i would say we are far from assured a finals spot.
    You need at least 28 points. We are on 12 and with the two byes we need at least 6 more wins. However I certainly hope the club does not count scraping into the 8 and being eliminated in the first week of the finals as being a success. In my opinion anything less than playing second week finals or better is not acceptable and that's what the season (and particularly the coach) should be judged on.

I don't want to scrape into the finals with this BS thing about losing more games than you win but still making it "mathematically".
    We have the team, we have the wins, we have no excuses. If we don't show some fortitude and compete with the big guys, then we shouldn't pretend we achieved something by limping into 8th spot.

Gold Coast Titans lost to South Sydney Rabbits after the worst defensive performance of the 2014 NRL competition
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN MAY 11, 2014 11:42AM

GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright is set to wield the selection axe ahead of Friday’s derby against the desperate Broncos after the Titans produced the worst defensive performance of any team this year.

Preliminary analysis by Fox Sports Statistics found the Gold Coast missed 54 tackles in *Saturday’s 40-18 loss to the Rabbitohs at Cbus Super Stadium.

The figures will be audited today but it was another match in which the Gold Coast’s frontline defence was exposed.

The Titans have missed the most tackles of any team this season and have relied on their scrambling defence to keep them in contests.

But the rampaging Rabbitohs were too hot to handle for the Titans, bursting out to a matchwinning 22-0 lead inside the opening 15 minutes to relegate the Gold Coast to their third loss this season.

The Titans travel to Suncorp Stadium on Friday for the second derby of the year and Cartwright is set to make changes.

Prop Ryan James is almost certain to be relegated to Tweed Heads after making four runs for 32m while bench hooker Matt Srama may also find himself back in the Intrust Super Cup as he continues his return from a shoulder reconstruction.

Veteran Luke Bailey will be fit to return from an ankle injury while Matt White and Paul Carter are available after serving suspensions.

Lock Ashley Harrison copped a head knock from a high tackle by Rabbitohs prop Luke Burgess but declared he would be fine to face the Broncos.

“I’m sweet. It was a bit of a head knock and I pinched a bit of a nerve in my neck,” he said. “I was just a bit dazed.”

Harrison didn’t want to speculate on possible team changes but said the Titans received a harsh reality check.

“I’m sure we all as a team have got to have a hard look at ourselves,” he said. “It was definitely a reality check anyway.’’

Zillman only managed three runs and regular centres Maurice Blair (wrist) and Brad Tighe (shoulder) will be available for selection.

- - - Updated - - -

i almost gagged till i realised you added the last sentence. I thought Meyn had forgot to delete his real thoughts before sending it to his editor.

- - - Updated - - -

i think Don is number one Winger when MEad is at Fullback. im not sure Tighe can quite claim Gordons spot, he has been decent, but maybe a week off just as a wake up call and see if Tighe can do better and promote some competition for spots.

If Tighe carves and continually gets overlooked hell lose the great energy he has brought so far.

DB, I couldn't agree more ... send him back and tell him to get a haircut ... Tighe was a 100% player for us and Blair was starting to show what he could really do ... now we worry about offending men who are paid overs to half do a job ... semi-professional football for mine. Some of those egos need to get sorted and James should be only the first of several.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I just tried to watch the reply, got to about 14 minutes and gave up on it.

No secrets, we couldn't hang on to them in tackles, we let them get up for quick play the balls, we compressed in defence but then didn't slide.

Gordon always seems to be scrambling to get back into position. Not just for this game, but he almost always looks like he is caught out of position.

I was away and didn't see the game, but sounds like I am better off for missing it
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geeman View Post
    I was away and didn't see the game, but sounds like I am better off for missing it
    ........you made the right decision