Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default On top but Titans can’t pull a crowd

663244-titans-crowd.jpg

Gold Coast Titans sit top of the NRL ladder but are struggling to pull a crowd

Travis Meyn April 19, 2014 12:00AM

THE Titans plan to battle their dwindling crowds with an aggressive membership drive after the club’s new board of directors met for the first time this week.

Chairman Rebecca Frizelle, director Paul Donovan and club co-owners Darryl Kelly and Michael Searle had a four-hour meeting on Thursday covering a range of topics but arresting the club’s plummeting crowd figures was one of the main focuses.

The Titans’ home crowds have been on a steady decrease since they recorded an average of 21,618 fans per game in 2008 at the Robina stadium.

Their home crowds bottomed out at 14,028 last year and after three games this season (Tigers, Cowboys, Broncos) they are averaging 14,007 despite being on top of the ladder.

Last Friday’s local derby against Brisbane drew just 20,542 fans, a disappointing figure given the enormity of the clash.

The Titans have the second worst membership base (8,123) in the NRL and Frizelle said it was an area they could improve in to increase crowds.

“If the team is performing well throughout the season then we’ll start to see those crowd numbers increase,’’ she said.

“Membership is a major focus. It’s the foundation of the club and it’s one area I will personally be really focused on driving.

“We’ve seen a significant increase this year in membership but we’ve still got a way to go.”

The Titans have implemented a ‘kids go free’ membership plan which has seen a spike in sales and they have set a lofty target of snaring 10,000 members this year.

“We need to be targeting families,” Frizelle said.

“I’m a member now. I signed my family up. I had no idea it was as reasonable as it is for great seats at the footy.

“It’s critical that we understand that to be a member we have to support our club long term.

“You have to stand up and start supporting them.”

The board will meet once a month to discuss the direction and progress of the club.

Frizelle, a leading figure of James Frizelle’s Automotive Group, said she was impressed by the current state of the club.

“I was super impressed with the level of professionalism of the board papers that were presented by each head of department,” she said.

“We had some really productive conversations on the background and history of the club,’’ she said.

“The most positive thing was looking at the processes that they already had in place.

“We covered a fair bit of historical ground and we won’t do that again moving forward.

“We got a very good overview so when we do have to make decisions we’ll be able to make informed ones.”

NRL CLUB MEMBERSHIP FIGURES

Rabbitohs 29,006

Broncos 26,679

Dragons 17,469

Eels 15,462

Knights 15,327

Roosters 15,104

Bulldogs 14,154

Storm 13,986

Panthers 13,543

Sea Eagles 12,323

Cowboys 11,742

Warriors 9,714

Sharks 9,410

Tigers 8,733

Titans 8,123

Raiders 8,084

*As at April 3, 2014

Source: www.news.com.au/sport/nrl
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 19-04-14 at 08:12 AM.

If they got rid of Searle and started to win pretty then they would pack them in … hardly rocker science and certainly need marketing gurus to solve it … out Searle, Cartwright's coaching team and his undroppable players … sign Stone, Ferguson, get back Lawrence and focus on our structure.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    If they got rid of Searle and started to win pretty then they would pack them in … hardly rocker science and certainly need marketing gurus to solve it … out Searle, Cartwright's coaching team and his undroppable players … sign Stone, Ferguson, get back Lawrence and focus on our structure.
    Well said.

I second that motion.

“We need to be targeting families,” Frizelle said.

“I’m a member now. I signed my family up. I had no idea it was as reasonable as it is for great seats at the footy.
    Im a bit concerned that she wasn't a member. I know this was an opportunity to send a message to readers and potential members, but I found that revealing.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Our drive for membership needs to go beyond just calls to arms, and basic stuff like that. Or last year when the club disgraced themselves shaming fans to attend a game. Anyone remember THAT video?

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Here is the video. Basically shaming US for issues THEY created with this club.

Ive never seen a club throw it's own fanbase in front of the bus in front of the entire NRL.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Our drive for membership needs to go beyond just calls to arms, and basic stuff like that. Or last year when the club disgraced themselves shaming fans to attend a game. Anyone remember THAT video?
    Are u referring to that rubbish song "need you now" or the brilliant acting of a fan portraying a Golden Shower

- - - Updated - - -

I don't ever remember seeing that Vid & I'm happy I missed it...
    #itaintweaktospeak

Agree with most of that ( I don't want that clown Ferguson here).

These paper articles give me the sh!ts a bit. Jesus we are only 3 home games in and one was Monday night and one was a stinking hot day game. It's a common theme in News Limited papers at the moment with that idiot Rothfield slagging crowds and Sydney has had its wettest weekends for years as well as the Easter crowds being drawn earlier last year. Add that miserable mole Rebecca Wilson and reading the Tele as a league supporter makes you want to go and end it. Of course no mention of AFL crowds being down 10% and the local derby AFL attracting 5,000 less than the Titans the week before us.
    Of course continually winning and playing a better style of football will not hurt but a bit of balance would be good.

You are correct Mexican Titan, a bit unfair to judge just yet. And crowd plunges seem to be happening in both NRL and AFL.

No one has seen Coast"Sports"Fan in over one week! I hope he is ok!

Yeah Diehard, its almost like someone who asks for respect rather than earning, or asking men to follow you rather than inspiring them to do it.

if i was someone who was choosing not to go, it would push me further away.

if we cant get fergo...im liking gagai more and more. his workrate and effort is great. he is a very good player.

No one has seen Coast"Sports"Fan in over one week! I hope he is ok!
    Yeah I wondered where he was. I'd say he is still at Metricon trying to get a photo that makes the last Suns crowd look bigger than it was.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    if we cant get fergo...im liking gagai more and more. his workrate and effort is great. he is a very good player.
    And there is a rumour that he has a younger brother who goes just as well … I coached his dad Ray back in the day and he could go a bit too although discipline was an issue.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

your killing me titanic...his dads name was Ray - Gay - Guy? brother of Shay Gagai and the son of May Gagai?

Im a bit concerned that she wasn't a member. I know this was an opportunity to send a message to readers and potential members, but I found that revealing.
    I thought this was quite odd myself, given the sponsership history of their company
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!